Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
One in the same? I don't think so. Using "recession proof" and "fastest recovering" are different. The first implies a recession will not happen here while the second says we're recovering from the recession. IMO, Forbes made a bad call on this one back in early 2008.
I do agree that Forbes made an illogical "list". I suppose most people know that in reality there is really no such thing as "recession proof"....and turn in circumstances could effect different cities differently. I agree that Forbes made a faux pas in ranking something that can't be ranked by your definition. I took their list as qualifying which cities they think would be least effected by a recession simply because they did choose to rank them. I agree that technically it's semantics and poor journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I do agree that Forbes made an illogical "list". I suppose most people know that in reality there is really no such thing as "recession proof"....and turn in circumstances could effect different cities differently. I agree that Forbes made a faux pas in ranking something that can't be ranked by your definition. I took their list as qualifying which cities they think would be least effected by a recession simply because they did choose to rank them. I agree that technically it's semantics and poor journalism.
I disagree,
any city that has an economy that relies heavily on military is recession proof.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Until the housing market turns back around, there will be no recovery.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Until the housing market turns back around, there will be no recovery.
Nobody is gonna get a $150-300 thousand dollar loan unless they have a job.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:39 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nobody is gonna get a $150-300 thousand dollar loan unless they have a job.
May I add – a good paying job for that kind of a loan.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
despite the doom and gloom and the bad economy, i think its advatageous for financially fit individuals to enter the housing market at this time.

I have friends who bought a house for cheaper (no repairs needed) among the four of them and they're reaping the equity. I was told i wouldn't be getting a raise this year, but i don't let that discourage me, i'm investing in a town house with some friends and hopefully this pans out.

i wish everyone the best in getting jobs back, and i hope this housing market gets kick started with the people who already have jobs now.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
despite the doom and gloom and the bad economy, i think its advatageous for financially fit individuals to enter the housing market at this time.

I have friends who bought a house for cheaper (no repairs needed) among the four of them and they're reaping the equity. I was told i wouldn't be getting a raise this year, but i don't let that discourage me, i'm investing in a town house with some friends and hopefully this pans out.

i wish everyone the best in getting jobs back, and i hope this housing market gets kick started with the people who already have jobs now.
I'm wondering where your friends bought that they are "reaping the equity". The problem with the housing market is there are many of us (lots of military) who bought in 2005/06 and need to sell and move. However, we have lost the little equity we had due to the foreclosures, so we are forced to rent out the houses. I hate to see SA turn into a city of rentals. I would love to sell, but unfortunately I would need $40,000 cash when you add in the realtor fees, closing, etc. It's a shame that those of us who actually qualified for homes with perfect credit and incomes, put something down, and pay every single mortgage payment on time are the ones who are paying the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio