Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

As a 4th-generation "Gringo", I moved about the city all my life. As with any other community, there's places you're better off NOT going - but it really has little to do with the color of your skin. In fact, there's some sections of town where being "white" has advantages, since the folks may perceive you to be an LEO, because whites don't generally go there.
The "bad element" (of ALL races) aside, San Antonio is certainly a diverse and interesting city. You can pretty much find smiling faces anywhere you go as long as you treat the folks with the respect and kindness they deserve. Racial issues per se are much lower here than in most other metropolitan communities, and the overall feeling is that a stranger is just a new friend that you haven't been introduced to yet.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM

173 posts, read 598,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Which begs the question...have you been sarcastic your whole life?!?
So far...

Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM

98 posts, read 122,847 times
IMO, how comfortable you will be is your responsibility, not your communities. If you treat people respectfully, you'll usually get it in return. If you don't, then you probably ran across someone having a bad day or is just a grouch in general. Of course, if you focus on skin color, you may give off an "I think I'm better than you" vibe and that'll get you in trouble!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think the "I'm white, not a racist" comment sets people on edge. If you have to clarify that you are most definitely NOT one, chances are you've either been perceived as being one and are defensive, or you actually ARE one but are smart enough to know that people don't like racists. So, while the question may be a valid one, it's what was said along with the question. But, lots of us word things poorly on here and get jumped on.

The only reason I can think someone would mention that they are not racist in conjunction with asking if they should move here, is a way of saying, "I know there are a lot of hispanics in San Antonio, but I can accept that."

Doesn't seem quite right. The reason for mentioning being white, could that be cuz the OP doesn't think white people will fit in?

The only thing he asked about was race and gender.

There wasn't any, "I'm from a cold climate, will I be comfortable in the heat" or "I'm from a small town, will I be comfortable with the traffic and congestion."

The question was only about racial issues...that's why everyone freaked out.

I think there are a million factors that will make the OP hate or love San Antonio. Weather, things to do, proximaty to the Hill Country and rural areas, low cost of living, ect.... the last thing I would ever put on that list would be "White people can fit in here."

I think it was just odd. On the top of the list of the OPs concerns about moving here is race.

OP: Please figure out what other things in a city you are looking for. What kind of weather, humidity, political climate, job availability for your industry, do you need access to major universities, international airports (San Antonio's is internation, but you won't find direct flights to Europe), city and property taxes, sales taxes, school systems.... other than just race.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
Ok, I stated Im white and not a racist right off the bat because I knew I was gonna get flooded with comments and not freakin answers. Rather than me say, Hey everybody, how will San Antonio treat a white girl?" And get questions like, what does it matter? you a racist? I simply answered questions I knew that would be asked, ahead of time.
Anyways, My user name is Freakin Carmela !! Im half hispanic, Im just white as sh*t !!
Im not worried about me being a racist because Im not, Im worried about moving somewhere where other people dont like white girls. So thank you LOVESAT, SSHURGOT for answering me, and you two are probably right, maybe I should visit first.

Carmela, sorry to harp this... but worrying about how another race will treat you is kinda...well...racist. You are prejudging a geographical area based on its high concentration of hispanics...wondering if they will be hostile to you. How is that not sterotyping or prejudicial? Your chief concern is if the hispanics are going to run your out of town and treat you bad.... No, no racism there.

BTW, I am a white female... been here for years.... never had an issue.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I can't stand white people! Don't tell my husband, though, since he's white. And don't tell my kids either since they are half white. Oh and don't tell some of my friends. They might get offended, too.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM

52 posts, read 132,311 times
dmarie123,
I dont think that worrying about how another race will treat me is racist. I think Im someone who has never been in a city that is not full of just white people. It seems odd that the only people who got upset by this question are white, the brown people answered my question straight up lol. I guess thats why I want out of Oregon, to many freakin white people Moderator cut: see comment !!
Oh and I didnt ask about transportation, weather and so on becasue thats the first thing I found out about, months ago. But, thanks for the tip anyway

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2009 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: The body part reference was inappropriate here.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

98 posts, read 122,847 times
Quote:
dmarie123,
I dont think that worrying about how another race will treat me is racist. I think Im someone who has never been in a city that is not full of just white people. It seems odd that the only people who got upset by this question are white, the brown people answered my question straight up lol. I guess thats why I want out of Oregon, to many freakin white people Moderator cut: see comment !!
Oh and I didnt ask about transportation, weather and so on becasue thats the first thing I found out about, months ago. But, thanks for the tip anyway
Odd that you can determine who the white and brown people are from their postings. Some do indicate, but others don't. I'm curious, how did you discern the browns from the whites?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Quote:
So I was thinking about moving to San Antonio. Im white, and not racist, but how comfortable would I be in San Antonio? Are people nice there?
I just left SA, but yes people are very nice. Being white does not matter, I could count on my fingers how many times I've heard the Spanish language being spoken, you don't have to worry about the English barrier. Of course it also depends on what area you are in.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 PM

173 posts, read 598,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Odd that you can determine who the white and brown people are from their postings. Some do indicate, but others don't. I'm curious, how did you discern the browns from the whites?
Good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio