Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM

454 posts, read 688,910 times

Advertisements

I just moved to San Antonio the first week in January, and already I'm just like, "ugh, I really don't want to break this lease already!".

Before anyone starts jumping to conclusions, I have paid attention to several things which is invariably making me feel the way I do. I made a thread about my observations before I came here, yet it seemed as if I was exaggerating, so I was like...ok, I still want to move down.

I'm really trying to stay positive, but things are so blatant around here that I'm already losing interest.

Number 1:, I will say San Antonio seems to lack the possession of attractive people. The other day, I heard someone refer to it as 'fat Antonio', which couldn't be closer to the truth. People really don't seem to give 2 ****s about their appearance.

Number 2: I understand that this is 'Southwest', but there are so many Mexicans and Mexican Americans here and as a 'non-Hispanic' person it doesn't seem like there's much in the way of oppurtunity here like I initally thought. I hope I didnt have to drive 1383 miles from where I was to deal with the same nonsense.

Number 3: I'm over Alamo Heights. I thought it'd be a nice neighborhood for me to hangout, but now it seems like the 'get away' area where all the Urban Whites go. Nothing wrong with it (and I happen to be part white myself) and I feel comfortable there, but to me it seems a bit too 'American Eagle' for my tastes. I dont have a single A/F or A/E outifit in my closet, and Im not planning to either.

Number 4: Loud ass cars. Why do people feel the need to put fart canisters on the back of their Civic? I'm trying to sleep here! And please stop spinning your tires, it ****s up your transmission!

Number 5: People here are unbelievably flakey for a town thats considered 'warm and laidback'. I know lots of places are flakey, but I think the increase in Military personnel makes it higher than the average city. Military men aren't known to be saints (dated some!) and so I think it rubs off onto the general population.

Thats all I can think of right now, but its already got me thinking, what am I doing? Honestly, if this place doesn't work out for me then I'll just mark it down that I'll never be a Texan. Most of this state seems to run off the same dogma in every city. I know there are people here who are nice, and great to be around and by all means I'm not talking about a particular individual. Im refering to groups.

Since I've moved here, I been sleeping less and waking up later. I have little motivation to jump in the car and drive around because Im just not interested in the type of people who live here. At this point, Im feeling a bit unsure whether I can live out an entire year here (for which my lease is). Thats not a good sign and Im trying hard to fight it, but at the same time why be someplace that you cant stand waking up to?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
So is the problem the millions of happy people here in SA? Or is it you?

Don't let the door hit ya!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
What exactly is the point of this thread? Are we supposed to decide whether you stay or go, because at this point, the answer would probably be "Go!". Or, stay and change your attitude. Either way, I don't think posting on here about what's wrong with us is going to change anything. Seriously, aren't you a grown woman? You made your bed, either lie (or lay--I can never remember) in it, or pack your bags. This thread has no possible chance of staying civil. And honestly, no one gives 2 ****s where you live but you.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,729 times
It is January 14th!! There is NO POSSIBLE way you can make any accurate statements or form any accurate opinions about the entire population in this short amount of time. There are good and bad in every state and in every city. The same goes for pros and cons. Did you not visit before making the move??? It sounds like you are dealing with a bit of culture shock, but I'm not certain that this is the appropriate place to post these type of opinions as they seem a bit critical and may be offensive to people. I would say give it more time and open your mind to the possibilities this city may offer you. If you start this year out with a closed mind, then you will continue to limit yourself from opportunities that may actually be very rewarding.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Methinks the problem is YOU.

With any city you move to, you've got to get over the inherent issues that plague it. This isn't Manhattan. This isn't LA. This isn't Dallas.

What you're complaining about are humanistic issues, not things that city council, voters or the mayor can truly fix. That means you're SOL and if you don't like the way we function, you can pack up and move away. I came here from Chicago, as well as living all over the world, and find SA to be everything I like. Sure, there are things I'd change, but that can be said no matter where I'd choose to live.

Perhaps your downfall was in leaving so little time to scrutinize this city before you decided to take the plunge: That's not our fault. It's yours.

In the future, learn from your mistakes.

BN

Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
I'd give it a good 6 months.

If you're looking for an excuse to run because you are flight-prone... nothing will change you except you.

Texas is the BEST state in the Union. I've lived in many, and this is where I came back to. And if you have a hang up about Hispanic people, you best get out of the U.S. because what you see here in Texas is what it will be like in the future. Everywhere.

You need to get colorblind, real fast.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Just a question. Why did you leave Tampa, Joei? That's not a bad place to live.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
And if you have a hang up about Hispanic people, you best get out of the U.S. because what you see here in Texas is what it will be like in the future. Everywhere.
See, what gets me when people make a comment like this is...they assume I have a hangup.

Yet just last night, I was speaking with this Puerto Rican guy and he tells me, "I dont get it, but for some reason the Hispanic people in San Antonio act racist to Blacks or other minorities".

Again, we're not talking about an individual so dont be offended. You know its true too, so no need to sweep it under the rug.

And the whole USA comment? You may have a point because I have a trip coming up to Toronto and Montreal this year and I rather be in Canada anyday than Mexico thats for sure. Atleast the French are a bit more open minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Just a question. Why did you leave Tampa, Joei? That's not a bad place to live.
Good question. I actually compared Tampa and San Antonio. I was almost in tears when I thought, wait a minute. San Antonio is just like Tampa! I might as well just moved back to Tampa. But the advantage is that Tampa actually has the more attractive 'Puerto Rican' population who don't snub 'non PuertoR Ricans' e.g. Black . What the hell was I thinking?

But at the same time, Tampa is really 'tired' and I spent most of my life there and am not ready to return so soon. I rather look around than to run back home. I left for a reason. Also, you get more for your money here in San Antonio...but now I see why. It sucks

Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
wow. This attitude is why you will be sitting home alone tomorrow night,,,starting another thread like this one.
Please, I rather sit at home alone than to date the yucky looking people who live in this town anyday.

And FYI, I may be at home alone out of choice, but all I have to do is lift up the phone and I already got 2 or 3 lined up.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Please, I rather sit at home alone than to date the yucky looking people who live in this town anyday.

And FYI, I may be at home alone out of choice, but all I have to do is lift up the phone and I already got 2 or 3 lined up.
2 or 3 yucky people lined up.....damn you work fast! Orale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio