Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times

Advertisements

I will be moving temporarily to Italy for about 3 years and anticipate returning to San Antonio when the tour is done. Because I am not legally authorized for employment with local Italian companies, nor do I have any status/preferences to obtain US government employment, I am looking for opportunities with companies that offer full-time or part-time telecommuting.

Normally I would outline job parameters related to my career experience, but in this situation, I will take just about anything that allows me to continue working while overseas. Can anyone recommend local SA companies that tend to have telecommuting opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
This is a hard one. My experience has been that most SA companies are not on the telecommuting bandwagon -- even for its employees in the surrounding area. I've dubbed this the "Kelly Civil Service Mentality." If you're not physically at your desk, just what the heck *are* you doing?

If you're in the DC area (as your name tag indicates), you may have a better chance of lining something up with a company in this area. I really do wish you good luck. Hope something good turns up.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 AM

361 posts, read 924,556 times
West does, but the odds of them giving you such a job are rare since a lot of people have applied for them.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Do any of the USAA employees on this forum have knowledge of whether USAA offers opportunities/roles with part- or full-time telecommuting? Or whether they have remote operations on military bases in Italy?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
I think a major issue for you with telecommuting would/could be a tax based issue.

A neighbor of ours in Hawaii (was a military wife) worked for a company in Washington state that allowed her to take her work with her when her husband got stationed in Hawaii. The Hawaiian state government TAXED the money she made even tho she worked from home (and they actually lived ON base, so Federal land vs state property). After that, the business stated it was too complicated for them to "comply" with the state requirements being imposed on them by Hawaii to have the one employee, and she was without a job. The only way all this came to light was federal tax returns, which would be required from ANY stateside business.

BTW, when it was all said and done, Hawaii got a chunk of change from them on back taxes and she was still without job.

Why don't you take the easy route and try to get hired by the Fed Gov for a job in the area you want to be in??? No problems then, no work visa issues, no tax issues (either end), AND they pay for your travel/stuff to get to and from. Have you considered that option???

Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
When we were stationed in Germany (95-99) and Belgium (02-05), there were USAA offices in Frankfurt and London; but I noticed neither location is listed on the company's current locations (http://www.usaa.apply2jobs.com/locations.htm - broken link). I also found no references to telecommuting on their career center web site.

Honestly, I think you are not going to find many telecommuting jobs in San Antonio; but I have to ask why it must be a SA-based company? There are numerous telecommuting career websites out there, maybe one could help you find what you are looking for...

Good luck, and enjoy Italy! I've been there numerous times, and it is quite an experience. Are you heading to Aviano?

By the way, just because you don't have a hiring preference doesn't mean you won't be able to find a job on base. We knew plenty of people who were able to. It is nice to have a hiring preference (my wife did as she was already a DoD employee) but it is by no mean absolutely necessary.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I think a major issue for you with telecommuting would/could be a tax based issue.

A neighbor of ours in Hawaii (was a military wife) worked for a company in Washington state that allowed her to take her work with her when her husband got stationed in Hawaii. The Hawaiian state government TAXED the money she made even tho she worked from home (and they actually lived ON base, so Federal land vs state property). After that, the business stated it was too complicated for them to "comply" with the state requirements being imposed on them by Hawaii to have the one employee, and she was without a job. The only way all this came to light was federal tax returns, which would be required from ANY stateside business.

BTW, when it was all said and done, Hawaii got a chunk of change from them on back taxes and she was still without job.

Why don't you take the easy route and try to get hired by the Fed Gov for a job in the area you want to be in??? No problems then, no work visa issues, no tax issues (either end), AND they pay for your travel/stuff to get to and from. Have you considered that option???

I've been telecommuting to my previous employer in California for four years and had to work out this tax issue before moving. The solution was to work through a local staffing agency who is technically my employer, but all they do is handle my payroll. I now work with my previous job as a contractor and the small fee the staffing agency tacks on to my hourly rate is smaller than the taxes that would have otherwise needed to be paid. I'm not entirely clear about other details on how this works - it was handled by the HR department.

Incidentally I know of four other people in my neighborhood who also telecommute, but to their employers in California. We're all in engineering/IT-related careers which lends itself a bit easier to working remotely. It's been a great way for us to stick out our tongue at Stone Oak traffic. For years, I've been asking people I know whether their SA employers allow telecommuting, my preference if I ever need to find a local job, but have not found any. It seems at most some employers let you temporarily work at home under extenuating circumstances such as you had to stay at home because of a sick child.
Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

325 posts, read 780,899 times
I'm in IT and I have been telecommuting for SA companies the last 8 years. I know other developers who work at home also. The first thing I thought of when reading the OP's post wast the cost of establishing a VPN connection from Italy to somewhere in the US....

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
San Antonio has been very slow to jump on any communications (not even telecommunications) movements. It's really a shame. I'd look in to other cities that allow telecommuting as well and see what the options are. There's nothing that says you cannot telecommute once you get back and work for another company as well (I freelance and work for a Canadian company in San Antonio).

Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 PM

75 posts, read 192,241 times
Is the government hiring? My husband is looking for ITT job. Why are some hiring agencies in San Antonio do not want to send you an email thanking you for the interview? My husband put in for a job with government agency. He made it to the list but no interview. This is rough times. Why people not fair? One day, they might be in same boat with my husband. If hiring agency reading this, please think about how you might be out of a job one day. Also, just because a person had been out of job for awhile. Please think about the reason that he is out. It is not because he wants to but he cannot get work. May God Bless everyone that is looking for work. Hang in. Your work day is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio