Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Is it time for San Antonio to grow up and stop following the Dallas Cowboys? We never going to get the Saints. and the good old days of Staubach and Akiman are long gone...

Jerry Jones counts on our revenue money but we get nothing but a NO vote for any potential team. It up to San Antonio and South Texas to start working for our team...North Texas / dallas metro is not all Texas.

Maybe we can work with L.A. to get two teams in the league at the same time...
Romo is never going to win a ring with the DCowboys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Is it time for San Antonio to grow up and stop following the Dallas Cowboys? We never going to get the Saints. and the good old days of Staubach and Akiman are long gone...

Jerry Jones counts on our revenue money but we get nothing but a NO vote for any potential team. It up to San Antonio and South Texas to start working for our team...North Texas / dallas metro is not all Texas.

Maybe we can work with L.A. to get two teams in the league at the same time...
Romo is never going to win a ring with the DCowboys.
Vaqueros wouldn't work. It is Spanish for Cowboys and the Cowboys have rights to that name. But, I agree. SA needs an NFL team. There was a thread about what we should name the potential team about 2 to 3 years ago. I like the San Antonio Sabers. But, honorable mention to the San Antonio Chupacabras!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
The San Antonio Stallions has a nice ring it. Or does Denver have the rights to all horse names?

San Antonio is long overdue for an NFL franchise and I believe the time for the city to have one is drawing nearer. Commissioner Goodell has stated that San Antonio would be a viable spot for a team and there are a number of teams who are strong candidates for a relocation. Namely Minnesota and Jacksonville.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
People in SA are not smart enough to see Jerry Jones is aganist an NFL team in SA, that's a reason I would never root for them at all.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
I'm not sure what stands a better chance: San Antonio getting an NFL team or Disney building a park somewhere on the North side.

The title of this thread is misleading...
We don't have a team. We don't have mass taxpayer support for a team. We don't even have anyone willing to step up as 'owner' of this proposed team. Don't you think we're putting the cart before the horse a little on this one?

Let's start this discussion by offering VIABLE options for getting an NFL team to San Antonio: Where will the money come from- Will we need to build a new stadium or is The Alamodome suitable for upgrade- How much will that cost and who will pony it up.

I'm a sports fan, but in the current economic climate, it just seems so wasteful to think about spending that kind of local money on something so risky. We've already learned a hard lesson about a 'build it and they will come' mentality (paging Henry Cisneros and his baby, The Alamodud). I'd love to see another pro team alongside the Spurs, but don't think SA should rush into anything at this point in time.

BN

Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Vaqueros wouldn't work. It is Spanish for Cowboys and the Cowboys have rights to that name.
Do they actually have rights to the name Vaqueros, or 'Cowboys' in any other language?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
This thread was needed.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Full of win!

I doubt the city could support a team since it means taxes of some sort to get the stadium and bring a franchise here.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Do they actually have rights to the name Vaqueros, or 'Cowboys' in any other language?
They do. The organization has rights to the name in regards to all things NFL related. They also broadcast into Mexico where they are referred to as The Vaqueros.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Full of win!

I doubt the city could support a team since it means taxes of some sort to get the stadium and bring a franchise here.
Yeah, but like what happened with the SBC (at&?t) Center, the city will just try to raise hotel taxes under the guise that only out of towners pay it... even though it is already pretty high (I think ~16.75% for state, county and city). I have heard of many instances where irate out-of-town guests (and locals) go off on hotel employees on the front desk when confronted with the tax amount. Often, the hotel has to keep rates in check or lower them to compensate.

City voters vote yes, not realizing that most of them will not be able to afford the good seats -- how much did ticket prices rise when the Spurs moved from 1/2 Alamodome to their current arena?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio