Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,437 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple with two small children thinking of moving to Riverside. Looking for information on best neighborhoods for schools-Orangecrest? And whether are kids will have problems in local schools/neighborhoods with gay parents. We're from LA area where it's no big deal, but have a feeling Riverside may be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Riverside is kind of a weird mix. It can be pretty redneck but you also have a big hispanic population there. There is a lot of gang activity (both hispanic and black). Here are the crime stats:Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Think about Corona or, if you can, or Orange County, which is more tolerant than you might think. Good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:36 AM..

Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM

17 posts, read 100,270 times
Default Move to Riverside

Riverside is a little different.
Little more conservative.
Zip code 92506 and specifically the "Allessandro Heights" area of Riverside
is called by some the beverly hills of Riverside.
My nieces and nephews go to Washington Elementary in Riverside which is a National Blue Ribbon School- ranked 207 including all US public and private schools. lots of homework !!
Go visit the Mission Inn in Down Town riverside-
you'll like it. REALTOR.COM enter 92506 price $600,000-$3,000,000
will give you a good idea of Allessandro Heights

Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM

58 posts, read 408,603 times
The downtown area has a lot of gay/lesbian couples, and gay establishments. I would steer away from Orangecrest and the 92506 as they aren't as tolerant, and in fact as an illustration I recall that many there didn't even want their school named after Dr. Martin Luther King. I have dear friends who live in that area, but the main concern of many of their neighbors seems to be the race of the neighbors, and also what sort of cars they drive. I don't see a couple like you fitting in their area at all.

The Wood Street area also has a lot of lesbian/gay couples, and is diverse in general. The area has gorgeous vintage Craftsman homes, and other more modest ones. Riverside is hospitable to gay/lesbian people, overall. I think it is much more tolerant than Corona, as a city.

Riverside has its share of crime, but we've (my husband, children and I ) lived here 17 years very happily, and we're in a 'working class' / middle class neighborhood, not in 92506. (We are in the Arlington area.) We are both professionals and could move up to the other area, but prefer it here. The homes in this area are older, with lots of huge trees along the boulevards. Our neighborhood is very diverse ethnically, with Hispanic people most likely making up 60 percent or more of our area. It could even be higher, I don't really think about it. We're white, WASPy, and it's always been just fine.

There are homes in our zip code of 92503 and also in 92504 starting in the mid 300,000 and up.

Good luck. Riverside is a fine city.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 100,270 times
Default In Defense of 92506

To some degree- 92506 is a bit conservative. I live in Allessandro Heights. I am very open minded, my neighbors on both sides are african american and asian. I moved to Riverside 3 years ago (from Orange County), and my mom just moved here a few months ago. I am very impressed with most of the neighborhoods i've seen. The wood streets are beautiful, Magnolia center is great as well. If you are looking to segregate yourself into a niche community- downtown does have some choices- but the 92506 area is another choice. Its quiet, peaceful and some areas are extremely upscale. There are some very high county officials who live there, police and fire chiefs, Laker Players and lots of 100K + professionals. (etta james lives 2 blocks from me) THe snootyness comes with the territory-
still a great place to take the kids for a walk.
Take a drive up Overlook Parkway and take the kids to Las Campanas at the Mission Inn before you decide.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISGW View Post
We are a lesbian couple with two small children thinking of moving to Riverside. Looking for information on best neighborhoods for schools-Orangecrest? And whether are kids will have problems in local schools/neighborhoods with gay parents. We're from LA area where it's no big deal, but have a feeling Riverside may be different.
Try using this website, ladies! We found it very helpful!

http://www.gaydemographics.org/

Check out Palm Springs, but I do hear that the crime is increasing at an alarming rate.
Good luck my GLBT friends!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM

58 posts, read 408,603 times
Had to second what JMiles said about Las Campanas at the Mission Inn. Also, don't forget Simple Simon's in downtown Riverside. Awesomely homebaked goodies, breads, cakes, and more. I have friends who drive 80 miles round trip to eat there.

And you're right...Overlook Parkway is gorgeous.

It's nice to read pleasant things about Riverside, as most of the time it's blasted on the forum and to me it's been a great place to live.

Last edited by SoCal Person; 05-25-2007 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: typing error

Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Person View Post
. <snip>I would steer away from Orangecrest and the 92506 as they aren't as tolerant, and in fact as an illustration I recall that many there didn't even want their school named after Dr. Martin Luther King.
Oh what a crock! You know, this kind of blatant misinformation is what continues to perpetuate the racism/tolerance garbage we are all trying to get rid of in our society. Don't try that guilt ridden stuff with me, people are sick and tired of this Martin Luther King issue jammed in their faces and the people that pay the taxes to build their schools in their communities have every right to have a voice in what school will be named!!

To the OP, I will say that you will find issues where ever you live, some blatant some overt, but believe me when I say...you are part of our culture and society just like everybody else and the vast majority of the wonderful citizens of this country understand that we are as diverse a group of human beings as we can possibly be. I have had neighbors from all over this world, customers of my businesses from all walks of life and I have had a wonderful time knowing and hangin' out with all of them. Get out there, find your home base and go get em!!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 18,928 times
Smile Riverside gets a bad rap but it's a wonderful place to live.

I have lived in Riverside for 18 years and I think it's been a great experience. I live in Mission Grove, which is a well-to-do middle class neighborhood. There is crime everywhere, including property crimes in upscale neighborhoods. You can't live your life in a bubble. I enjoy living in the Mission Grove/Canyon Crest area because of its proximity to other parts of the city. Orangecrest is a bit out there in the corner of the city -- lots of tract homes with no yards and not a lot of things to do over there.

Riverside is fairly tolerant in terms of "alternative" families. It's the same anywhere. Most people are wrapped up in their own lives to meddle in their neighbors' lives. It is pretty quiet where I live and people keep to themselves. No matter where you go, you will at some point encounter adversity. Let's face it: kids are mean for no reason. So anything that makes your kids different will be picked up on by other students.

There are many good schools out here. A good school doesn't have to be in a high-income, white neighborhood. It could be anywhere. I am so tired of that snooty we-have-to-live-in-this-school-boundary BS. A child can get a good education from any school. It's all about how much effort your kids want to invest in doing well.

I highly recommend Riverside. There may be a conservative element here, but who cares! I'm not conservative and I get along fine in the 92506. I would recommend Riverside over Corona or any of the other cities nearby. Riverside has history, personality and charm. It is not so urban-sprawl like Corona; it has a heart.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties