Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
David, are you a parent? Learning to live on ones own is fine. Just not in drug and gang infested areas. If anyone here doesn't mind that kind of stressful living that's your choice but a stupid one.
Yes, I am a parent, and when my boys reach 18, it is their choice and/or problem if they want to go live in "a gang/drug infested area". All I can do is hope I can steer them in the right direction (or the most reasonably right direction).

I moved out of my mother's place when I turned 20, she was moving out of town (she had just went into remission for brain cancer; she was ready to leave Riverside), so I either had to go with her, or find a place of my own.

I went out on my own. Mommy didn't decide where I lived, how long my commute was, who I lived with, didn't help me with rent or utilities, just gave me advisory guidance about life on my own. And I made it.

I went to Rancho Cucamonga, and a few months after I moved in, two young men were killed in a drive-by on the Haven overpass over the 210 (mere yards from my apartment), probably not even 1/2 hour before I got home from work. Stuff happens everywhere. It could have been me that got shot up that night (it was a road rage incident).

If OP moves to Moreno Valley, Colton, San Bernardino, etc, if they don't like it, hopefully their parents will let them come home. Most parents leave that door open for their kids. I will, but I don't want to put them in a situation where I'll still be holding their leashes when they're 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Big deal... there is this one little area that is "nice looking." That means nothing. Just because some of you don't mind living in a piece of crap city, it doesn't mean that others should join you. Fontana is a crap hole too. Most people who like living in nice areas will stay away from the cities that you love so much.

David, are you a parent? Learning to live on ones own is fine. Just not in drug and gang infested areas. If anyone here doesn't mind that kind of stressful living that's your choice but a stupid one.
Little place? Rancho Belago is home to over 30,000 people. 92557 is home to over 50,000 people. That's 80,000 people. Both areas are above the median income of California. That's not including the areas that aren't more uniformly nice. 92551 is home to southern Moreno Valley Ranch. Half of it is pretty nice (by nice I mean 3000, 4000 sq foot homes overlooking lakes and a golf course...and no the majority of homes are not vacant...nor rental properties). 92553 is the worst zip code. About 40% of households in the city make more than 75,000 a year. More than half make over 70,000 a year (more than the state average). That's about 100,000 people making more than the average income. How exactly is that extremely ghetto? Taking into consideration the number of families making the average amount...well you get my drift.

The poverty level is at the state average. Moreno Valley on the whole is middle class. Nothing more, nothing less. It has a lot of nice areas punctuated by a few not so nice areas. There are fewer worse areas than nice areas. BY A LOT!!!!

I think you really don't know the places you are talking about. My parents had a choice when they moved back to Saudi Arabia. They looked at Redlands...but at the end of the day liked saving money at living in the same tract house they otherwise paid a hell of a lot more for.

I'm not a parent, but I grew up in Moreno Valley. I went to college, I got a job and am applying to grad schools (when my debt is lowered by a bit). So I really don't understand what you mean when you say it is the wrong decision to let their child live closer and same gas money. Just because YOU have a stigma towards the city doesn't mean that's the reality.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Arrow You Guys' Opinions: City Comparison Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pj77718 View Post
. . . planning on moving out to either colton or San bernardino! . . .they say its scummy & ugly/dangerous . . .

If you want a safer neighborhood, try renting a room from a family in a better neighborhood. Sometimes you can rent a room for about the same amount as you would pay for an apartment. Some homeowners will even give you kitchen & or pool privileges. Check with colleges, churches, gyms, etc.
There are going to be MANY different levels of crime or safety in different areas of each city.

Good luck with your search.
JT

Maybe using one of these comparison sites will help you: This data is a bit dated, but it is a starting point.

Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:

Lake Elsinore, CA Colton, CA National
Murder: 10.1 9.7 7
Forcible Rape: 32.82 25.09 32.2
Robbery: 138.8 254.8 205.8
Aggravated Assault: 325.7 374.4 336.5
Burglary: 754.8 920.6 813.2
Larceny Theft: 2410.9 1634.8 2601.7
Vehicle Theft: 805.3 808.7 501.5

Actual Reported Population and Crimes:
Lake Elsinore, CA Colton, CA
Population: 39,612 51,812
Murder: 4 5
Forcible Rape: 13 13
Robbery: 55 132
Aggravated Assault: 129 194
Burglary: 299 477
Larceny Theft: 955 847
Vehicle Theft: 319 419

CRIME Lake Elsinore Colton United States
Violent Crime 6 6 4
Property Crime 5 5 4

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 04:28 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
David, who ever said that mommy should decide were an adult child should live?? And who said anything about holding leashes?? You're taking this way out of context, dude..... Sounds like you admit that you don't even want your own kids living in a bad neighborhood. But if that doesn't bother you, I question your heart as a parent. Normal and decent parents wouldn't want their kids in that type of enviroment. And lets get this straight, an 18 is still a kid. Just because they are legal adults at 18 that doesn't mean they think like an adult. And being that your kids are not 18 yet, you lack in the experiece of dealing with a young adult.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My 25 year old brother ... never says anything about ducking gunshots and stumbling over homeless people on the way to his front door...
A 2 years ago my brother came home to find a beat up pickup truck in the street in front of his home (Mt. View near 14th), with a dead person inside - shot. And shortly thereafter a grandmother opened the door to scold a teenager who was tagging her mailbox at the street; he pulled out a handgun & shot her.

If God decided the world needed an enema, He would choose San Bernardino for the point of application.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
... Sometimes, when I get homesick here in Korea and google image search Moreno Valley, I don't actually know if I'm looking at Moreno Valley or another bland SoCal suburb.
Sigh. Much of the area looks like the street Conan O'Brien wants to have renamed for himself:

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-rene...r-conan-street

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Calibro, whatever melts your butter. Like I said before if you or anyone else want to live in a not so great area and that doesn't bother you, then that is your choice. You're not going to convince a whole lot of other people that MV and those other cities are wonderful places to live. Including me. Have you ever been to the better cities of Scal? Like Foothill Ranch?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
David, who ever said that mommy should decide were an adult child should live?? And who said anything about holding leashes?? You're taking this way out of context, dude..... Sounds like you admit that you don't even want your own kids living in a bad neighborhood. But if that doesn't bother you, I question your heart as a parent. Normal and decent parents wouldn't want their kids in that type of enviroment. And lets get this straight, an 18 is still a kid. Just because they are legal adults at 18 that doesn't mean they think like an adult. And being that your kids are not 18 yet, you lack in the experiece of dealing with a young adult.
In what type of environment? We suggested Moreno Valley, based on OP's college location and budget. Moreno Valley isn't some giant crime infested slum, contrary to what you may believe.

I have yet to see your suggestion. Where would you live on $500-$700/mo within reasonable distance of RCC-MoVal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A 2 years ago my brother came home to find a beat up pickup truck in the street in front of his home (Mt. View near 14th), with a dead person inside - shot. And shortly thereafter a grandmother opened the door to scold a teenager who was tagging her mailbox at the street; he pulled out a handgun & shot her.

If God decided the world needed an enema, He would choose San Bernardino for the point of application.
In my post, I was referring to Moreno Valley, not San Bernardino. But gg in using an example from one of the worst areas in San Bernardino.

Have you ever been to Trona?

Quote:
Have you ever been to the better cities of Scal? Like Foothill Ranch?
What makes it better? The type of people who live there (income, class, education, or otherwise), or all the giant/expensive houses that were all built within the last 30 years? Or is it the toll road? The reputation? The fact that it's only 10K people, and thus incomparable to most So. Cal cities?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Calibro, whatever melts your butter. Like I said before if you or anyone else want to live in a not so great area and that doesn't bother you, then that is your choice. You're not going to convince a whole lot of other people that MV and those other cities are wonderful places to live. Including me. Have you ever been to the better cities of Scal? Like Foothill Ranch?
1) Foothill Ranch isn't a city. Never was. It WAS a census-designated place, it's now part of Lake Forest, which is a city.

2) Lake Forest is in Orange County. This is the San Bernardino and Riverside Forum.

When will people learn that there are good parts and bad parts to every single village, town, and city in the United States?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
When will people learn that there are good parts and bad parts to every single village, town, and city in the United States?
Yeah, I mean the mayor has to live somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties