Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM

252 posts, read 518,998 times

Advertisements

I have been on a college search for the last couple of years. I have looked at number of colleges in California public ones Cal States and UC Universities and most of them said no because i'm second bachelors student . It's understandable because the state is broke. And the ones that did except me changed their rules , which rejected me while i attended their school - Cal State San Bernardino. Now I have been checking out so cal private schools. I checked out La Sierra University ,and the neighborhood last week. While i liked the university , the neighborhood was ok , one thing that bothered is that there have been a few kiddnappings in the last few years one involving little girl who was murdered which is horrible and one involving a college student who is now ok and unharmed at the metrolink station which leads me to my question. Is La Sierra Riverside Safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
I have been on a college search for the last couple of years. I have looked at number of colleges in California public ones Cal States and UC Universities and most of them said no because i'm second bachelors student . It's understandable because the state is broke. And the ones that did except me changed their rules , which rejected me while i attended their school - Cal State San Bernardino. Now I have been checking out so cal private schools. I checked out La Sierra University ,and the neighborhood last week. While i liked the university , the neighborhood was ok , one thing that bothered is that there have been a few kiddnappings in the last few years one involving little girl who was murdered which is horrible and one involving a college student who is now ok and unharmed at the metrolink station which leads me to my question. Is La Sierra Riverside Safe?
La Sierra is at least as safe as the area around CSUSB. Did you feel safe there?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 AM

i felt alright i liked it for the most part .. i was only there for a short period like a month . but it was kind of sketchy if you got the towards the freeway if you stayed over the hill you were cool (shandin hills) but if you when south not so much..

Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
i felt alright i liked it for the most part .. i was only there for a short period like a month . but it was kind of sketchy if you got the towards the freeway if you stayed over the hill you were cool (shandin hills) but if you when south not so much..
For a large city, Riverside is relatively safe, in terms of major crimes per capita. Not "Thousand Oaks" safe, but not on any lists of "the most dangerous cities" either.

I wouldn't let anecdotal evidence like "this or that happened here or there" persuade me. I live in Canyon Crest, a pretty exclusive neighborhood. But on my walk to Starbucks every morning, I pass three locations where murders have occurred. Yet my neighborhood is statistically very safe.

Look at the surroundings and make up your own mind. Use your spidey sense. If an area looks and feels unsafe, it probably is. All the usual urban survival skills apply.

Here is a web site with Riverside crime rates by neighborhood. It shows La Sierra as one of the safer parts of the city:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Good luck

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 01:09 PM

for sure. Thousand Oaks has actually a bad area or a barrio or used to in mid to late 1990s-early 2000's when i was a teen , i think most midsized or larger cities in cali has gang problems though and has can also have good areas as well it depends on city. Thanks For the info. my spidey sense (i like that) tells me la sierra riverside is alright.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 02-15-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I lived there from 1996-2003, attended La Sierra High School (g. 2001).

I survived. Had no incidents.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,568 times
I lived in the La Sierra community of Sierra Heights (La Sierra / McAllister) from 2010 - 2013. Was pretty quiet and had no issues. I would say either Sierra Heights or Lake Hills is your best bet.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 AM

43 posts, read 74,072 times
I grew up in la sierra (mid-nineties) on Collett st right across the street from from the park. There are chicano (mexican american) and skinhead gangs in the area and a bunch of tagging krews. I witnessed a drive-by once but gang violence is common in so.cal for the most part la sierra is pretty safe and quiet.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 24,247 times
La Sierra seem like a much better place than where I currently live, which is downtown San Bernardino. I'm still alive. No incidents or even broken bones yet. I mean you hear about crimes and violence on the news a lot of the time, so it's just something you're going to have to get used to hearing. La Sierra is near the mall and good places to eat so it's a pretty good area in terms of convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties