Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,453 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My house hunting continues. Does any one know the neighborhood just west of Mountain View Park? Specifically the area around Gardena drive (south of Jurupa ave)?

If so, any good or bad things to say about it? Is it safe to walk the dogs around this area at night?

Also, any comments about Mountain View Park? Is it family friendly?

Thanks in advance!
MandK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
My sil lives there. Its a very nice neighborhood. From what I got in frequent visits, one where neighbors know each other and lots of kids. The park at the end of the area is nice. Just watch out for the area along Magnoila as it goes toward the border with Riverside, where the hispanic area is. Riverside county is like that, really nice areas next to really unnice ones.

Check with your cell company on reception. It has probably improved, but some companies had bad reception in that area.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My sil lives there. Its a very nice neighborhood. From what I got in frequent visits, one where neighbors know each other and lots of kids. The park at the end of the area is nice. Just watch out for the area along Magnoila as it goes toward the border with Riverside, where the hispanic area is. Riverside county is like that, really nice areas next to really unnice ones.

Check with your cell company on reception. It has probably improved, but some companies had bad reception in that area.
Thanks Nightbird! Do you mean to be careful in the area I noted in red? Also, I'm looking around the blue area. Is this the area you are familiar with?

MandK
Attached Thumbnails
What is this Riverside city neighborhood like?-riverside-map.jpg  

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
Thanks Nightbird! Do you mean to be careful in the area I noted in red? Also, I'm looking around the blue area. Is this the area you are familiar with?

MandK
The area on Jurupa is good, or was three years ago. I assume it still is. The houses are older but there are a lot of big trees for shade and they tend to be unique. There is a Ralphs and other stores in that area, and a couple of really good thrift stores if that is of interest.

What you want to avoid is going too far towards the central city downtown area on Magnolia. The area looks okay but it is not nearly as save as if you keep in the area your looking.

One other thing, a train runs through there. Find out how close a house is to the trains and the intersections. The run often, not as often as the ones below there (BNSF) but the Union Pacific ones can have some VERY long freights trains. You don't want one within a block of your house. I somehow manage to live next to both tracks and while I like riding trains being close surburban neighours, naw.

Google Casa Blanca in Riverside. Its a very bad area and anything east of the Riverside plaza is gang territory.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Its a very bad area and anything east of the Riverside plaza is gang territory.
Those neighborhoods east of the 91 off Central and Alessandro are "gang territory" now?

Or are you talking about immediately east of the Plaza? I did know many illegals who lived in the apartments on Olivewood.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Those neighborhoods east of the 91 off Central and Alessandro are "gang territory" now?

Or are you talking about immediately east of the Plaza? I did know many illegals who lived in the apartments on Olivewood.
Between the Plaza and the downtown area is an area of older homes, some victorians. It lookes rundown but otherwise not that much different a mix of houses in the shopping area by Jurupa and Magnolia (which aren't rundown). It's also cheaper. When I was looking for an apartment I could afford there most within range were in that area. Most of those I knew who had moved in there moved out within a year since they didn't feel safe. There is a lot of gang activity in that area. Casa Blanca is the main hispanic gang center, west of the plaza and more towards Corona.

With Riverside, it can be very sporatic. Casa Blanca is right in the middle of an otherwise normal neighborhood. And what does Illegal aliens have to do with it? I said nothing about that. Just the likelyhood of being robbed and such.

We never were but we had three dogs who set up a group howl at any sound, but my house backed on an rrtrack so it was easy to slip in the back if there wasn't a dog. Nearly everyone on that street had dogs.

One thing with Riverside and the wandering train tracks. You just don't want to live that close to a train track. Train horns and track horns blaring three or four times a night with a humongous freight train booming? Not romanic off in the distance train sound when the house shakes and things bounce their way off shelves. Plus those cars with mystery markers on them and the possibily of them derailing behind your house.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Between the Plaza and the downtown area is an area of older homes, some victorians. It lookes rundown but otherwise not that much different a mix of houses in the shopping area by Jurupa and Magnolia (which aren't rundown). It's also cheaper. When I was looking for an apartment I could afford there most within range were in that area. Most of those I knew who had moved in there moved out within a year since they didn't feel safe. There is a lot of gang activity in that area. Casa Blanca is the main hispanic gang center, west of the plaza and more towards Corona.
I agree that may be the case in the apartment complexes there, but the neighborhood of homes "Wood Streets" (between the Plaza and RCC), is generally well regarded.

Casa Blanca is MOL centered on the 91 and Madison, south and east of the freeway, a whole two miles, and geographically due south from the plaza.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I agree that may be the case in the apartment complexes there, but the neighborhood of homes "Wood Streets" (between the Plaza and RCC), is generally well regarded.

Casa Blanca is MOL centered on the 91 and Madison, south and east of the freeway, a whole two miles, and geographically due south from the plaza.
I didn't mean the "wood streets" but the area east of there plaza where you go throught the area that has many of the same sorts of houses, but all very run down. Right off of Jurupa, I think is that absolutely awesome restrored Victoian thats blue with the fountain and even the front yard is a garden done in the style of the house.

People sometimes see the east side places which look run down and are cheaper and find out why. I rode the bus through that area but did not get off there.

I mentioned Casa Blanca as I used to live near there in a 'good' area. But that close you get a lot of spill over and its not a good long term bet.

The Wood Streets is a wonderful area, especially as it doesn't look all cookie cutter with so many different styles of homes and the large trees.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean the "wood streets" but the area east of there plaza where you go throught the area that has many of the same sorts of houses, but all very run down. Right off of Jurupa, I think is that absolutely awesome restrored Victoian thats blue with the fountain and even the front yard is a garden done in the style of the house.

People sometimes see the east side places which look run down and are cheaper and find out why. I rode the bus through that area but did not get off there.

I mentioned Casa Blanca as I used to live near there in a 'good' area. But that close you get a lot of spill over and its not a good long term bet.

The Wood Streets is a wonderful area, especially as it doesn't look all cookie cutter with so many different styles of homes and the large trees.
There used to be a old Victorian on the periphery (like in the parking lot) of a Home Depot (IIRC) shopping center at Jurupa and Magnolia.

Do you know if it's still there?

EDIT: Yep. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3854+J...179.83,,0,5.21

Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the replies! I have another area of the city that looks interesting. What do you guys think about this in terms of safety?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this Riverside city neighborhood like?-riverside-map2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties