Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 PM

116 posts, read 186,219 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I graduated college in the spring and am pursuing a potential job in the San Bernardino area. I've heard from friends who are former CA residents that San B is pretty high on crime, and that other places nearby would be better to live.

Being a recent college grad, I have little money, and would be moving from a relatively rural area in the PNW. I'm not looking for anything close to fancy...just a one-bedroom (possibly studio) apartment in a decent area, that's affordable. Again, I'm looking for a place that's serviceable and reasonably safe, nothing high-end/glitzy but nothing where I'm constantly afraid of getting jumped/mugged/etc.

Also, the job itself would be in San B...so if the best place for me to live is outside San B, I would prefer a relatively short commute so gas doesn't burn a hole in my already-thin wallet.

Any help is much appreciated, I'm not familiar with any SoCal city farther inland than Anaheim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
OP, what would your budget be to rent a place? The best piece of advice I can give you is this: DO NOT MOVE TO SAN BERNARDINO! My God, I know several cops who've told me that SB is WORSE than downtown L.A. My husband also used to work at the government buildings in downtown SB and the things that he saw and told me about made my skin crawl. SB isn't called the butthole of the IE for nothing.

In your case, you should look into Riverside, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga or possibly Redlands. Yucaipa is a nice city that still has a lot of rural-ness to it, which would be familiar to you. Check into those cities and then if you find an apartment that you like (I'd even look into guest houses and back houses if I were you) head over to one of those websites where you can type in an address and you will get all of the recent crime stats on that exact area. You can also call a city's local police department (non-emergency number, of course) and ask some questions, too. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM

24 posts, read 72,159 times
SB is the most ghetto of the ghettos. Do not move there you will be miserable. I rank it on the scale of Newark NJ in comparison.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 PM

116 posts, read 186,219 times
Thank you for the input. Unfortunately the job prospect fell through, so I most likely won't be working there anytime soon after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties