Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,633,732 times

Advertisements

Rancho Cucamonga's very nice, but it's also getting (gotten) expensive.

Ontario is a little closer and a little cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,138,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Rancho Cucamonga's very nice, but it's also getting (gotten) expensive.

Ontario is a little closer and a little cheaper.
But, hey, there's always Fontana, also.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:25 PM

136 posts, read 141,434 times
For me, IMHO, Redlands is a good option. It has a historic small/college town feel but is close to many of the amenities you seem to desire. Close is subjective though I suppose. Victoria Gardens and Ontario Mills areas offer huge dinning and shopping options within a short drive from Redlands. Redlands is a safe safe place to live. As to large apt communities though you may not find what your looking for. Many small complexes abound, but not the large communities.

I would personally like to live "up the hill" but traffic can be an issue when there is a wildfire, snow, rock slide, road construction or an accident closes off the route your taking. I work with people who live up there and it is a complaint they have. The issues do not occur all the time, but they do happen, so be aware. There are not a lot of workarounds for the roads up there heading down into the flatlands. But some people love the area and take the potential issues in stride. The drive from Highland/North San Bernardino up to Big Bear seems to run about 45 to 60 minuets regularly, per the Caltrans signs. Relatively there are a lot of commuters sharing the few routes up the hill.

If you are after a more suburban feel then Rancho Cucamunga could be a better fit.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,469,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
For me, IMHO, Redlands is a good option. It has a historic small/college town feel but is close to many of the amenities you seem to desire. Close is subjective though I suppose. Victoria Gardens and Ontario Mills areas offer huge dinning and shopping options within a short drive from Redlands. Redlands is a safe safe place to live. As to large apt communities though you may not find what your looking for. Many small complexes abound, but not the large communities.

I would personally like to live "up the hill" but traffic can be an issue when there is a wildfire, snow, rock slide, road construction or an accident closes off the route your taking. I work with people who live up there and it is a complaint they have. The issues do not occur all the time, but they do happen, so be aware. There are not a lot of workarounds for the roads up there heading down into the flatlands. But some people love the area and take the potential issues in stride. The drive from Highland/North San Bernardino up to Big Bear seems to run about 45 to 60 minuets regularly, per the Caltrans signs. Relatively there are a lot of commuters sharing the few routes up the hill.

If you are after a more suburban feel then Rancho Cucamunga could be a better fit.
You wouldn’t want to commute from Big Bear, I wouldn’t wish that on my worse enemy. Most of the commuters are from Crestline to Arrowbear. I’ve driven to and from my cabin at all hours and on all days of the week, and it’s not bad during the commuting hours, except for the possible issues already previously mentioned.

Since the OP is going to be making a 100K and renting I’d look into buying a small place up there. You’d be able to afford it and could possibly rent it out when not in use. The fact he’ll be renting and the banks would be none the wiser he could claim this as his primary residence for financing. I’ve met lots of people up there that live in the IE and bought places up there to come up to on the weekends to escape the heat come summer. Who knows he might find out he likes it up there better and can endure the commute.

Coming full circle I really like Redlands though as a place to live in the IE. If you can live in a nice area that your work is located in its not only hard to pass that up in Southern California, but strongly recommended.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You wouldn’t want to commute from Big Bear, I wouldn’t wish that on my worse enemy. Most of the commuters are from Crestline to Arrowbear. I’ve driven to and from my cabin at all hours and on all days of the week, and it’s not bad during the commuting hours, except for the possible issues already previously mentioned.

Since the OP is going to be making a 100K and renting I’d look into buying a small place up there. You’d be able to afford it and could possibly rent it out when not in use. The fact he’ll be renting and the banks would be none the wiser he could claim this as his primary residence for financing. I’ve met lots of people up there that live in the IE and bought places up there to come up to on the weekends to escape the heat come summer. Who knows he might find out he likes it up there better and can endure the commute.

Coming full circle I really like Redlands though as a place to live in the IE. If you can live in a nice area that your work is located in its not only hard to pass that up in Southern California, but strongly recommended.

Its just me, but Redlands is one of my favorite cities in Socal. To have a retreat in RC would be great also. I agree with your post as it sits with my way of thinking, not sure about the OP though.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 PM

612 posts, read 1,516,770 times
They got back to me and I finally accepted the offer. But I wouldn't be moving until early next year. Out of all the research that I did so far, I felt Rancho Cucamonga is going to be first choice to live. I am a single female, so as mentioned a little scared to live alone in woods.. Again this is based on I haven't personally taken a look in the mountains. Second option is Ontario and Riverside and 3rd would be Fontana.

I have just seen some parts of Redlands when I came there for interview. No doubt it looked like one of the safest and peaceful places to live in California to me. If I had my parents living with me, I would have chosen Redlands over other places since I would like to live in such places with family. If my family is not around, I would like to be in some happening place.

I am thinking to fly down there a month before my joining date to look at the apartments and decide on one. I did look into renting or buying a small house too, but I feel that could cost me more eventually and a house in Rancho Cucamonga would be expensive too.

Does these areas go through drought, wildfires, earthquakes or mud slides? I remember there was a wildfire in this area last year or year before that. But what about other things?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Again this is based on I haven't personally taken a look in the mountains. Second option is Ontario and Riverside and 3rd would be Fontana.

I have just seen some parts of Redlands when I came there for interview. No doubt it looked like one of the safest and peaceful places to live in California to me. If I had my parents living with me, I would have chosen Redlands over other places since I would like to live in such places with family. If my family is not around, I would like to be in some happening place.

I am thinking to fly down there a month before my joining date to look at the apartments and decide on one. I did look into renting or buying a small house too, but I feel that could cost me more eventually and a house in Rancho Cucamonga would be expensive too.
Does these areas go through drought, wildfires, earthquakes or mud slides? I remember there was a wildfire in this area last year or year before that. But what about other things?
Redlands can be happening due to the large college population. Downtown has trendy bars, coffee shops and restaurants. But in a mellow sort of way, if that makes sense. Low crime rates.

I think of Fontana as a industrial town due to the large rail yards south of the 10 freeway and heavy industry north of the freeway. Lots of 40s-50s era housing. Medium crime rates.

Ontario centers around the Airport. Lots of warehousing, airport related business, with some manufacturing. Some newer very large housing developments towards the southeast section that used to be dairies. Medium crime rates.

Riverside to Redlands is rough on the commute at the times your coming and going. The other areas your looking at could cut that by half depending on where you would be living. The 215 freeway drive is horrible. Riverside crime rate is really high. Riverside does support a large college so that could be a plus for you.

Rancho Cucamonga is better on the crime issues. Housing can be expensive, its a safe area close enough to LA and Ontario for commuters. Your commute would run about 45 minuets I would guess.

Your idea of driving around the area prior to moving is a good one. Visit each of the cities, both during the day and in the evening if possible. If your were to consider renting a house Yucipa is next to Redlands and is affordable compared to say Rancho, but its more "county" style living.

As to your questions on natural disasters;

Earthquakes are always inevitable in So Cal. All of the area your considering, except Riverside, sits on the San Andres.

Drought is also always part of living in So Cal, but it has not been debilitating so far. Just be mindful of your use of water. If your in an apt you wont have to worry about watering a lawn.

Wildfires and mudslides are usually only a worry if your living in the mountains or just below them along the foothills.

I hope that helps. Good Luck and grats on the job.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:25 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,155,316 times
You could live in Redlands for a year while you settle into your job and the area in general, then move based more direct empirical experiences. If you more apt to come home and relax after work rather than going out, then why drive almost an hour home for instance.. if you know in your heart you will be wanting to go out and socialize- its still not a bad idea to see what's in Redlands and more direct surrounds experiencially first- maybe you end up liking Redlands more- either way- its awesome that you are courageous, adventurous , and intelligent enough to apply for, and obtain the position at ESRI- those attributes will not diminish in any of your endeavors I'll wager..

Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM

612 posts, read 1,516,770 times
Thanks for your help guys!!

I will be back with questions when I start my relocation there next year.

Also talking of wildfires, looks like the one that started on Northern California this week has spreaded until LA. Hope it doesn't move further down. Stay safe guys.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,633,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
You could live in Redlands for a year while you settle into your job and the area in general, then move based more direct empirical experiences.
This. ESRI and everything within Redlands is generally very accessible. A good way to familiarize oneself with the area before moving on (which may not be the best idea if choosing to remain at ESRI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties