Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 110,329 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Lake Arrowhead around the end of February, beginning of March, and I just want to make sure I've thought it through completely before we sign any papers (we will be renting not buying).

Right now we live down the hill by Loma Linda Hospital and have 4 kids (a 9, 8, 6 and 2 year old) who I am homeschooling. I really like the schools up there (I used to work with an educational consultation company so I am familiar with them and I've also researched the district/schools) but I am not sure if I will enroll them or not. Is there a secular homeschooling community up there that is active if I do decide continue with it?

My husband will be driving down the hill for work each day (which he doesn't mind at all, he enjoys that drive), but what worries me is that he works the night shift, so he would be leaving after the sun set. We've driven those roads at night many times so I know he knows what he will be dealing with, but I am wondering if he is overlooking the fact that it will be an every night gig and it will wear on him.

We have family that live in Big Bear that are very well known in the community and through them we have lots of connections, so I am not too worried about friends for myself, etc., but how hard will it be for my kids to make friends with the local kids? Are they friendly and welcoming to newbies from down the hill?

There is a Stater Bros up there, right?

Any advice on the area we've been looking at...we have found several homes south of the Lake by Victoria Ct. Is that a good area?

Prices are really low for renting right now, is that because of the economy or is it normally like this (we are looking at really nice 3/4 bedrooms from $800-$1000).

Besides the obvious of snow gear, a snow shovel, etc., is there anything most people don't think about buying before moving up there that I we will need or should have?

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
There are no bad parts to Lake Arrowhead but the house you are renting is in Arrowhead Villas. Though your zip code will be the same as Lake Arrowhead, you will not be living in Lake Arrowhead, nor have lake privileges. Arrowhead Villas is a much less affluent and desirable community, though it's still perfectly safe and you will have access to the Rim school district, if you chose to send your kids to public schools. If you have a realtor that is claiming Victoria Court is actually in Lake Arrowhead, they are deliberately misleading you.

There is a Stater Bros. in Lake Arrowhead Village, where the post office is also located.

I have lived in Lake Arrowhead for many years and would never live anywhere else in Southern California. However, you MUST be prepared for heavy fog on the Rim. You have never encountered the type of fog that inhabits the 18. Oftentimes visibility is 5 feet, tops. It's extremely stressful to commute in that weather. Last year we had heavy snows. If they don't plow your road, you're stuck.

There's a reason most residents in the mountains are part-timers. The snow, fog and isolation of the mountains takes a toll on people. I love it here, but most full-timers bail after a year or so.

In any case, welcome to the mountains!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Thank you, Ulysses61.

We are going up next Saturday to take a look at a few places (we are renting). We did speak with several rental agencies and they never mentioned that Arrowhead Villas is not really Lake Arrowhead City, so thank you for that little tid bit.

Thankfully we are fully aware of the fog up on the rim. We have family that lives up in Big Bear (and my step son lived up there for several years as well), so we've driven in it a many times. I can see how it can deter others from living up there, but for us the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 106,321 times
I've lived in the mountains my whole life (going on 38 years now) and am a full-time Realtor with Coldwell Banker Sky Ridge. It seems that you've given lots of thought to the pros and cons and, honestly, I think you've covered all the big ones.

I was a property manager for many years before I shifted over to sales and would suggest that you stick with a professional property management company if possible.....there are some private people who have houses to rent that have no idea about the laws, paperwork, etc, governing leases and you want to be sure you're protected.

Yes, Arrowhead Villas is outside of Arrowhead Woods (what most refer to as Lake Arrowhead....though there is NO Lake Arrowhead City because we are an unincorporated area of San Bernardino County), but as a renter, that may affect you very little. If you do rent a home within Arrowhead Woods, though, you may be able to purchase a beach club pass through the owner to use the private beach clubs (Tavern Bay, Burnt Mill and Grass Valley Park) and I'm sure your children would love that. It many, in fact, be worth it to ask the owner if they'd be willing to do that before signing paperwork. There is a lot of rental inventory out there right now, so be sure to look thoroughly before committing to a home.

Homes with level entry are worth their weight in gold, especially in bad weather. Any kind of covered parking is nice as well, especially since you'll be here full time. Try to stay away from homes on access roads (that are not plowed and maintained by the county) unless the other residents on the access road hire a private plow to clear it and split the costs.

My dad commuted down the hill for about a dozen years, in all kinds of weather, and loved it. My wife and I go down the hill a couple times a month to do our shopping at Trader Joe's and Target, and maybe to eat out. It is a comfortable adjustment to life down the hill and I think you'll enjoy it.

There's lots more info on my website at: www.GregSteffens.com that you might find helpful and informative. Contact me if I can be of further help.

I might have homeschooling info from a client of mine, so I'll check into that and post what I find.

Last edited by gsteffens; 01-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Greg, thank you for the link to your website, I just checked it out and it had quite a bit of helpful information for us.

We did find out that access roads=driveways of death for us this last Saturday, lol. I would say that the majority of the houses we looked at did have level entry ways and the few that didn't we just drove right past.

I am about to take my kids out in the rain to jump in some puddles in a few minutes, but once they are in bed tonight, I would like to send you a message with a few more questions that I have, if you don't mind.

Thank you again for you help!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I will gently dispute that access roads are undesirable. I will guarantee you that same realtor who posted here would not say that to a client interested in a home on an access road.

I live on an access road. I would say that 10% of homes in Lake Arrowhead are on access roads. It's true, my access is HELL in the winter. My hubby and I shovel for hours a day to keep ahead of the snow. We lose an average of 6 days a year to work because of the lousy access. Our neighbors don't help one bit, they are all retired and not in the physical shape necessary to shovel. However, access roads offer you privacy, quiet and a unique sense of seclusion. In Arrowhead Villas, I don't think they even have access roads, so it wouldn't be a concern of yours. But access roads do have advantages sometimes overlooked.

I have several colleagues who live in Arrowhead Villas and they do complain about the noisy neighbors. In this economy, you can rent a home in Lake Arrowhead for less than a grand a month. To me, it would be worth it. I don't want to snob snobby or elitist (I am neither), but living in Lake Arrowhead is a far nicer choice than the Villas. Also, access in the Villas in the winter is hell. The Villas have windy roads, steep grades and is a nightmare. If you access the 18 via Kuffel Canyon, it is an ice rink. I doubt any realtor would disclose that, but it's well-known about mountain folks.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Ulysses, my husband and I were just up there this last Saturday looking at about 8 or so houses. The ones we fell in love with were all located on the north or west side of the lake, and although there were some nice ones in the Villa, but for the reasons you've already stated (mainly the roads) we've decided to stay away from that area.

I do have a question though, if you don't mind. There is one house in particular we leaning towards right now that is on an access road. Originally we crossed it off our list just for that reason alone (this one was a very steep incline). The owner informed us that during the snow months, we could always park our car on the street, in front of the stairs that lead up to the house. There are not any "No Parking" signs out there and the neighbors informed us they do the same thing. They never get towed or have any problems (and they've been living there over 10 years), so we are rethinking the house. Is this a common pratice for people that live on access roads to park on the street during the winter months?

Oh yeah, we were also informed that a neighbor bought some sort of tractor thing with a snow plow on the front of it several years ago and always plows the access road for everyone. The neighbors explained that everyone usually chips in some money for the gas or brings his family dinner sometimes etc. for his time and effort (which we don't mind doing at all).

Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

188 posts, read 662,635 times
I liked living in the Villas, but I was on one of the nicer streets (larchmont). We had no noisy neighbors and the road was passable in the winter UNLESS someone obnoxious parked in the road (grrrrr). I kinda liked not being part of some of the 'drama' I saw in Arrowhead woods (water bills, architectural committee, etc). Although there's a bit of drama in the villas as well!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 106,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteffens View Post
Try to stay away from homes on access roads (that are not plowed and maintained by the county) unless the other residents on the access road hire a private plow to clear it and split the costs.
Sorry I have not been on this board to respond, but I also plow snow in the colder months (not too many people want to see houses during snow storms), so I've been "pushing flakes" (as I call it) for some long hours recently.

I referenced my earlier post above to the person who said that access roads are not necessarily undesireable. It is my fiduciary responsibility (and ethical behavior) to disclose that a property is either on a county maintained road or an access road. I did, however, state above an exception that, in my mind, helps relieve the problems that Ulysses61 has encountered (HELL, hours of shovelling, missed days of work). Some access roads are better than others.....how's that!

The problem with parking on the road below and using the stairs in really bad weather is that the county can put a large berm along the side of the road and you'll have to dig a place to park (each time the plow goes by). The stairs up to the house will also need to be shovelled repeatedly and, even when cleared of snow, can be icy and dangerous for little ones or adults carrying groceries, etc. I have a 3-year old and I would not be comfortable having to get her in and out of the house via icy stairs.

If I can be of any help, please call or email me. My contact info is listed on my website....

Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 17,199 times
My wife and I are contemplating purchasing a second home in Lake Arrowhead but are concerned about costs getting out of hand. What is the property tax situation for a detached house in Arrowhead Woods? What is the base rate for taxes on assessed value and how about the other assessed amounts on the tax bill for services such as water, fire, and sewage? Also, is San Bernardino County generally responsive to re-evaluations/appeals of assessed values? Any feedback from a local resident would be much appreciated. Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties