Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,645 times

Advertisements

Encanto hasn't been safe since approximately the year my parents sold their house there in 1965.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Encanto as a whole is not that bad.
In all areas of southeast San Diego there's good and bad parts.
Like someone said Encanto is split into 2 parts north and south.
The north part of encanto is more desirable,were encanto meets lemon grove is the best area imo..
If the price is right go for it!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM

129 posts, read 340,701 times
It always comes down to that ballance. Affordability Vs quality of life. In my experience, those who give more weight to quality of life over sticker price, are the happiest buyers/renters. The common approach to shopping is to find the lowest prices in a county first, THEN examine the area to see if you can stand living there. I don't recommend that approach. My advice to my buyer clients is to find the desirable areas first, then cross reference for affordability.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM

12 posts, read 43,700 times
Default thanks

what about east Indians? Where do they live? Your comment was very helpful Sassberto. Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 35,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDinsider View Post
It always comes down to that ballance. Affordability Vs quality of life. In my experience, those who give more weight to quality of life over sticker price, are the happiest buyers/renters. The common approach to shopping is to find the lowest prices in a county first, THEN examine the area to see if you can stand living there. I don't recommend that approach. My advice to my buyer clients is to find the desirable areas first, then cross reference for affordability.
this man knows what he is talking about.
people ask me why, for the same amount of money, I want to buy an old townhouse in UTC when I can buy a nice house in Eastlake, for example.I got tired of explaining why.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicN View Post
this man knows what he is talking about.
people ask me why, for the same amount of money, I want to buy an old townhouse in UTC when I can buy a nice house in Eastlake, for example.I got tired of explaining why.
"Location, location, location"!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
"Location, location, location"!
This is all true, however in a broader perspective I would like to add that as areas develop and infrastructure is built to support communities, the old adage of "location location location" becomes a misnomer.

For example, I have lived downtown for 6+ years. Would I have lived there 10-20 years ago? Nope. These days, there are more desirable appointments downtown which make it more marketable as a choice in convenience and lifestyle.
My point is that sometimes "locations" come into vogue where they may have been overlooked 10-20 years ago due to redevelopment or a freeway being extended. South Bay Freeway is an example as is the 52 to 67 expansion in Santee/Lakeside. All of a sudden I have been watching the MLS in Santee and the sold prices for the homes there are astonishing to me comparing to the pre-52 expansion plans.

30 years ago, Rancho Santa Fe was the "country" and Carmel Valley was the "Back Country".

Take everything in perspective and of course depending on your financial situation, you have to be honest and evaluate your lifestyle needs and wants.

Just going by price alone will not get you too far as SDurbanite mentioned.

On a personal note, I looked at North Encanto specifically before I purchased my home in Lemon Grove. As Sass mentioned, it is split in two as it is quite large. In my observation of driving through the area, Broadway seems to be the cut off point between north and south. Basically the terrain also creates that line as it becomes a bit hillier and the lot sizes are bigger.

The area that I though had the most potential were literally in a box with the border streets being: 60th, Broadway, 69th and Mallard. The view looking towards downtown are stunning and one of the hidden gems there is Scimitar Dr. It winds through the hills and there is a glorious view of Downtown, Coronado and even further out. These are million dollar views for certain. As a matter of fact only a few weeks ago I was driving along Scimitar and there were several homes either being rehabbed or almost newly built which had the southeasterly views.

This map should be helpful in helping you understand where the homes are for sale and where they are not. You will notice that the areas that I mentioned above, there is little inventory. However in South Encanto, it flip city..... tons of housing stock and these are just the resale and REO homes you see on the map.

http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS_Map-Encanto-Homes-92114

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 AM

103 posts, read 215,898 times
Try this
Crime Statistics/Maps | Police Department
and
San Diego Regional Crime MAPS

Both crime tracking info
Ive lived in San Diego since the 80's.. the one true thing about San Diego is that its patch UNLESS.. your living in one of the more upscale areas. La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Scripps Ranch. most of North Coastal County Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad...

I live in Mira Mesa... I'm not Filipino, but black.... And with respect to crime Mira Mesa has all the problems that any other part of San Diego exhibits sans the few I listed above, which I believe have higher rates in burglary... Mira Mesa does have a large Filipino population.. back in the 80's it was known as (excuse me if I offend) "Millilla Mesa".. back then its proxicimity to what was then NAS MiraMar.. now Marine Air Station Miramar

Not to put anyone off but I do have the impression that most of the violent crime happens South of Hwy 8.. That's a very broad brush Im using... But south of the 8.. North Park has some nice parts.. then you hit the central city and Barrio Logan National city.. most of which I would not choose to live in..

North Western and East Chula Vista are very nice

Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 43,700 times
Default hello spring valley

Hi sassaberto,

Is spring valley safe?

What type of area it is considered? I know it is not very upscale, but from safety point of view. Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmoonmountain View Post
Hi sassaberto,

Is spring valley safe?

What type of area it is considered? I know it is not very upscale, but from safety point of view. Thanks
Similar to Encanto. Some areas are Ok, some are worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego