Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 22,445 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of moving from the Shadowridge area in Vista to Rancho Bernardo, specifically at this location:

loc: Avenida Venusto at Paseo Lucido San Diego CA US - Google Maps

Cozy Rancho Bernardo Condo (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2156050990.html - broken link)

Also, I am interested in finding out any other problems (traffic/noise) living around this area. I have never live right next to a high school before and I am not sure if there are anything bad about it.

I will be working in Rancho Bernardo and my girlfriend is working in Downtown and we have been looking in areas like UTC/La Jolla, Rancho Bernardo, Saber Springs, Scripps Ranch, Carmel Valley etc and it seems like this is the place we have found so far. Our budge is $1500 for a 1 bedroom condo and we are not interested in renting from apartment complex since we had prior bad experience.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 AM

418 posts, read 1,312,209 times
Just watch out for the Van Buren Boys. I hear they hang around all over R.B. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you know how to flash their sign.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Rancho Bernardo to downtown SD as a daily commute would be painful. Try to find something between your two work locations. Maybe Tierrasanta (zip 92124).

Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
Just watch out for the Van Buren Boys. I hear they hang around all over R.B. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you know how to flash their sign.

What the heck are the Van Buren Boys? The only gangs I've seen in RB are gangs of senior citizens going to the local Denny's for the morning special.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Rancho Bernardo to downtown SD as a daily commute would be painful. Try to find something between your two work locations. Maybe Tierrasanta (zip 92124).
Not necessarily true. There are commuter bus lines from RB to downtown. I use them when I have jury duty.

But do also look at Tierrasanta. It's quite a nice neighborhood, and that much closer to downtown. And not too bad a commute from Tierrasanta up to RB (against rush hour).

There's some traffic on both Avenida Venusto and Paseo Lucido during rush hour. I would guess it's pretty good other than that ... though I haven't been there when the high school lets out for the day.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
What the heck are the Van Buren Boys? The only gangs I've seen in RB are gangs of senior citizens going to the local Denny's for the morning special.
Consider the source ...

Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamon View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of moving from the Shadowridge area in Vista to Rancho Bernardo, specifically at this location:

loc: Avenida Venusto at Paseo Lucido San Diego CA US - Google Maps

Cozy Rancho Bernardo Condo (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2156050990.html - broken link)

Also, I am interested in finding out any other problems (traffic/noise) living around this area. I have never live right next to a high school before and I am not sure if there are anything bad about it.

I will be working in Rancho Bernardo and my girlfriend is working in Downtown and we have been looking in areas like UTC/La Jolla, Rancho Bernardo, Saber Springs, Scripps Ranch, Carmel Valley etc and it seems like this is the place we have found so far. Our budge is $1500 for a 1 bedroom condo and we are not interested in renting from apartment complex since we had prior bad experience.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
I'm not sure why you would be concerned about safety in Rancho Bernardo. I understand we must always be alert to our surroundings, but RB, really?
Living near any school will have noise and traffic issues especially early before school and late at the end of school; perhaps also during any special events (Sports or extra curricular).
If your girlfriend has a solid job in DT and you two are good, then perhaps you should look at something closer and in between the two areas, others on this site who live in the area could probably chime in with the best areas. I would think perhaps UTC or parts of Clairemont.
Good luck, but I don't think the Senior Citizens or the Soccer Moms in RB are going to be throwing gang signs and doing drive bys anytime in the near or foreseeble future.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 22,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I'm not sure why you would be concerned about safety in Rancho Bernardo. I understand we must always be alert to our surroundings, but RB, really?
Living near any school will have noise and traffic issues especially early before school and late at the end of school; perhaps also during any special events (Sports or extra curricular).
If your girlfriend has a solid job in DT and you two are good, then perhaps you should look at something closer and in between the two areas, others on this site who live in the area could probably chime in with the best areas. I would think perhaps UTC or parts of Clairemont.
Good luck, but I don't think the Senior Citizens or the Soccer Moms in RB are going to be throwing gang signs and doing drive bys anytime in the near or foreseeble future.
I guess the reasons I was concerned about RB, specifically Avenida Venusto is that when I did a crime report, it showed 2 car break in and a few other crimes in the last 3 months. Where as the place I am currently living at, it had 0 crime activity within the 1/4 mile range in the same time frame. I used to live in downtown Calgary, Canada and my car got broken into 3 times in 4 years so I really prefer not to deal with this kind of thing. I guess another thing that got me all worked up is when I googled RB and crime rate, one of the search result came up with a homicide on the same street back in 2009.

I will definitely check out Tierrasanta and thanks for all the advices.

Last edited by jdamon; 01-16-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
If you're worried about crime, then Tierrasanta is worse than RB for property crime/cars

Last edited by djxpress; 01-16-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM

63 posts, read 173,103 times
I would feel safe living in RB. My grandmother lived there for years, and my husband works there now. I will say though, that RB is the ONLY place I have ever been robbed! My mom and I were going for an early morning walk (very early -- around 6:30 am) at a park and when we returned to our car, it had been broken into! We were walking for about an hour, so we felt that someone must have been watching us. Creepy! Still though, I would feel very safe living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego