Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 26,957 times

Advertisements

Currently I'm living just outside of Boston, been here 4 years, grew up in CT outside NYC, female in my 20's. From what I understand the economies are very similar. I am already paying 1400+ utilities for a 1 BR, complexes in the outskirts of SD seem about the same price if not a better value. I am primarily looking at the Chula Vista and Escondido areas. Want an apartment complex for the amenities but looking to buy in a year or so after moving. Along with the weather (it has been grey, rainy, and around 55 F here for the entire month of may...) the property values are such a steal and I can actually see myself affording my first home (250,000 may get you a run down floor on a multi family in a bad neighborhood, in SD 100,000 can at least get a newish condo not sure about quality of neighborhoods yet though). Would like to invest well in a small home, do some renovations and pay it down, then try to rent or perhaps resell and work my way into nicer properties. I will continue my part time education at SDSU as soon as I get settled, already looked into similarities between degree requirements.

I work as a personal trainer so when I make the move I will have a job lined up. However, until I have enough years of experience to freelance this is not a high paying gig. Here in Boston I supplement by cocktail waitressing and bartending. I'm worried that SD doesn't attract the sort of night life that Boston does and I won't be able to earn as much there as I do here. I work one sports bar that attracts Red Sox fans primarily and as sports are Boston's claim to fame this place gets packed and I do quite well. I also work at a night club and lounge cocktailing and doing bottle service. Although it gets a lot of cheap college age kids, bottle service is a lot of out of town men mostly on business who have loose wallets and want to impress their colleagues. Not uncommon for a group of 3-4 men in suits to buy 4+ bottles costing over $200+ while they're there. 20% even split with the bartender is a nice chunk of change! I've also worked as a host at a bar and sit down restaurant that gets a mix of local and traveling business and saw the type of money that those in the finance/stock/business owner positions spend and probably write off as entertainment. I'm even considering applying at bar/restaurants inside expensive hotels.

Am I totally spoiled here in Boston? My fear is moving to SD and eating thru my savings because I expect to make good income in the restaurant/bar industry and it's just not the place for it. I know the Gaslamp district is the party scene but does this mean students and locals who are in the same financial bracket as myself? Is there a steady flow of tourists, although I'd imagine those on vacation would be sticking to a budget and traveling with family (could be wrong). Does San Diego have conventions and business meetings attracting those with business expense accounts? Or is there a different group of high spenders here that I should focus on scouting out their hang outs. I'm considering working a place close to the military base on weekends also, seems like a good bet.

I know this was long and my thinking is all over the place so hopefully you made it through it all. I'm planning to move within 1-2 years if my thinking is realistic. I'll have a nice cushion of savings but don't wanna blow it, would prefer to add to it, lol. Any pointers or advice or areas to check out when I visit would be very much appreciated. Hopefully I'm not being too unrealistic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

116 posts, read 251,486 times
i would say money flows faster here in san diego than boston

popping bottles and balling out is a big theme all over socal, especially in the bigger clubs in San Diego.

Now, the question about if YOU will get any of it is the issue. Many people are in line to get good bar-tending and vip hostess gigs here, so the competition is fierce

san diego is top 5 for conventions, easily. Have you done any research on the city?

Chula Vista has some nice areas, as do eastern areas like La Mesa.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the fast reply! Wonderful news, really. I'm glad I was worried for nothing. I know it's a major city but with the climate and environment I have a hard time making the separation in my mind between place of business and coastal getaway. If that makes sense.

No, I still need to research the potential job scene. I also am familiar with the paying of the dues it takes to make top dollar. I got the idea in my head about a year ago, but just started researching apartments and schools and looking at commutes and viewing this as something I can actually accomplish. I'm planning to make 2-3 visits to drive through potential neighborhoods and go out in downtown San Diego to see what sorta crowd it is. Although we'll each have our own places I'll be making the move with my boyfriend who lived here when he was a Marine. So he's familiar with SoCal. But I still want other opinions, no doubt a Marine's opinion vs a born and bred local vs a business man vs my own are all going to vary. Is there something I totally haven't covered?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Nothing really major in your post. As a personal trainer and bartender/hostess, you will have a lot of company. Many people seem to do those jobs together as a package deal.

1400 will get you something quite decent in SD, especially as you move inland

one of my close female friends is a big red sox fans, tattoos and all. Shame.

the neighborhoods here are diverse, but you may be more price sensitive your first year here or so

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Wonderful! You've really managed to reassure me on this.

I'm thinking I *may* just forego having a washer and dryer in the unit for a complex with a facility as I notice that drops the prices down considerably. But we'll see. It's so much easier to throw in a load of laundry at home! I'll keep you updated.

I'm thinking about visiting in October, maybe earlier depending on if we ever get summer weather over here. So excited to start this adventure.

Thanks for responding!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:31 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
I'm sorry, but I am personally getting sick and tired of all you Boston transplants, seriously. I have seen enough damn Red Sox stickers and Massachusetts license plates all of over SD.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM

115 posts, read 230,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I'm sorry, but I am personally getting sick and tired of all you Boston transplants, seriously. I have seen enough damn Red Sox stickers and Massachusetts license plates all of over SD.
Do people feel this way about all east coast transplants, or just Boston? I would be coming from Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm from NYC, never had a problem.

San Diego people are too lazy to hate anything really.

Sdlife619 is rabidly against gentrification, change, etc. He has several threads lamenting any kind of shifts of certain neighborhoods.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
I'm from NYC, never had a problem.

San Diego people are too lazy to hate anything really.

Sdlife619 is rabidly against gentrification, change, etc. He has several threads lamenting any kind of shifts of certain neighborhoods.
Californians in general accept all people.

Yes I am against gentrification, for the simple fact that it displaces poor residents (especially in such an expensive high cost of living city which happens to be San Diego), and it waters down neighborhoods by attracting corporate type businesses and lame uppity boutique shops.

For some reason lately there have been a bunch of post of people from Boston wanting to move out here. I don't mind some transplants, but what is the deal with Bostonians wanting to move to SD mostly? They come here, like it for awhile and then start complaining that it's not like home. Well yeah! Of course SD isn't like Bean Town, what did they expect? Ever seen a game when the Padres play the Red Sox here at home? Take a look at the crowd, and see how many Red Sox fans are at Petco Park. It's embarrassing and disgraceful that there's that many B-Sox's fans in our home field. This just proves to people how loaded San Diego is with Bean Town transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego