Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM

150 posts, read 250,871 times

Advertisements

I'm a newbie and my wife and I are moving to SD soon from Austin, Texas. I've done some research on relocating but I need some advice on buying a home from current homeowners living in San Diego County.

My question is simple: if you were in the market to buy a home today, what would your approach be if you wanted to buy a home within 6-12 months?

For example, when would you hire a real estate agent? what websites would you check out? Any tips on getting a great deal, e.g. foreclosures? etc.

Ideally, my wife and I would like a single family house with 3 bedrooms for under $300K, at least 1200 sqft, and that is located between north San Diego and Carlsbad with good access to I-5.

We will be renting while house hunting but I wanted to see if current homeowners had any tips that could get us going in the right direction?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjawalt View Post
I'm a newbie and my wife and I are moving to SD soon from Austin, Texas. I've done some research on relocating but I need some advice on buying a home from current homeowners living in San Diego County.

My question is simple: if you were in the market to buy a home today, what would your approach be if you wanted to buy a home within 6-12 months?

For example, when would you hire a real estate agent? what websites would you check out? Any tips on getting a great deal, e.g. foreclosures? etc.

Ideally, my wife and I would like a single family house with 3 bedrooms for under $300K, at least 1200 sqft, and that is located between north San Diego and Carlsbad with good access to I-5.

We will be renting while house hunting but I wanted to see if current homeowners had any tips that could get us going in the right direction?

Thank you for your help in advance!
I just posted an article over in Pol/controversies about predictions that there is NOW a double dip going on in the housing market.

I would say, be very careful about catching a falling sword. If and when you buy I would MAKE SURE that wherever you buy you get a SUPER DEAL.

Many of the big RE sites have features that give you a real good feel about prices of homes and which way they are going, you can get daily updates on the properties you are interested in.

I am not going to knock RE agents.......but.......when it comes down to it they are sales people.........they want to SELL homes.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjawalt View Post
great deal, e.g. foreclosures? etc.

Plan on living in a condo closer to 15 than 5. Scripps Ranch is a good bet for that type of place.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM

321 posts, read 541,053 times
In today's market (or since about Oct 2010) there is far less competition and few multiple-offer situations, because the federal and state tax credits are long gone. The house should be yours if you offer list, and any good offer under list should get a counter-offer at least.

The only 3 BRs under $300 that I know of would be well south of the 8. North Coastal would be more like $600 for a 3 BR.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM

124 posts, read 333,070 times
You might want to look at San Marcos, Vista and Escondido for your 3 bedroom single family home. Those are the only areas you can possibly get it. If you don't want those areas, you're only able to get condos or old townhomes for your price range.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 PM

24 posts, read 30,743 times
If you're not in a hurry and can rent for a while, try checking out new construction projects near Poway, Rancho Penasquitos, or Scripps Ranch. Builders are offering all kinds of incentives these days because they're hurting. I've never lived in Austin, but I've visited and know that you can buy a whole lot more house out there than here (a palace for $300K in some areas). Not so much here.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
cjawalt,
If you dont know the market, rent and wait to see what you like or can afford when you get here. 6-12 months is an eternity of change yet to happen. Some say prices will fall here, but I dont think that is entirely true. For some areas yes, but where most people want to move not so much. Coastal areas will always be more desirable so going into the fringe cities are where you might find better deals. North County is not an area I know well, but has a tendency to be the most desirable.

Newer plug and play suburban communities with good schools will cost you $$$. Older established areas have a tendency to cost less but require more homework. So just keep watching the zip codes for the next 6-12 months and see what is moving and what is not.

vannesuh pointed out some cities that fit your criteria that might be a good starting point.
For example use a website like this to watch the daily changes. You can see if prices are getting lowers, new homes on the market and homes taken off, sale pending and new listings.
http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS_Updates-92-Vista

Do your homework here as it will pay off when working with an agent. It will only help you in the long run.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-01-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego