Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 PM

175 posts, read 250,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Have you ever heard of fact checking?

SD County is growing at a faster rate than LA County.

SD County growth rate is 5.4%
San Diego County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

LA County growth rate is 3.0%
Los Angeles County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

If you have anything more credible than the census bureau, please post it here.
Several cities in San Diego County have growth controls, so there are less people overall. Not sure why this is, but republicans in general don't like growth. LA County is more liberal, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 PM

175 posts, read 250,418 times
Also, the republican suburbs of south orange County have growth controls.

So does Palm Springs, and riverside County, both republican.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 PM

414 posts, read 508,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Several cities in San Diego County have growth controls, so there are less people overall. Not sure why this is, but republicans in general don't like growth. LA County is more liberal, of course.
San Diego County is less populated than LA for a number of reasons, but growth controls is not one of them. Plus, the fact that San Diego has had higher growth (%) for decades despite these controls refutes this argument.

I think it has less to do with politics than it has to do with money. Wealthy and established areas don't like new neighbors, they like to keep people out. It's a simple reason.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reject Kid View Post

By far the worst thing about SD County is the military - nothing but a bunch of Redneck lowlifes who do not belong here. Nothing like going downtown and seeing Billy Bob from Arkansas acting like he is back home in the trailer park. Some drunk Inbred Marine just killed some UCSD medical students not too long ago. Their mongrel families are just as bad. Just be grateful the army is not present in SD, because they are way worse then the Navy/Marines. Right after them is the greasy Boston crowd.
As harsh as this statement is (Lowlifes, Inbred etc), there is a lot of truth to it. It's one of the reasons I dislike San Diego especially East County. The "rah-rah USA is #1! Guns are cool. Obama is a Kenyan commie" and overall anti-intellectual attitude of many here is a huge turn off. Of course there are exceptions. I have seen some Navy veterans that weren't crazy conservative nuts and seemed pretty cool to talk to. I have had a class with one Marine vet who seemed the opposite of the stereotype. But a very large chunk of military do fit the negative stereotype. I have seen some that I went to high school with that post Anti-Muslim stuff on their Facebook wall. These are the types of people I do not want in the military because its just plain ignorant to think someone is lower than you because of their religion or country they live in. People should not join the military "to kill them Muslims" or whatever ignorant crap. Try to get into a political debate with many people around San Diego County and you'll just hear Fox News talking points.

There are some posters on this forum as already seen in this thread that will call you "racist" or an "SJW" for pointing out out the truth. I personally wouldn't have chosen some of the words you used, but your point is still valid. These posters have no real argument and just resort to pulling the "racist against white people" card. I am a white guy. I acknowledge my white privilege. I don't get racially profiled by the cops, border patrol, or people in general because of my skin color among other things. It is a very real thing. Thanks for the not so polite opinion.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I am not sure about growth controls, but I am certain it is much easier to experience greater percentage growth rates off of a significantly smaller base (3M) than a larger base (10M) and, based on above absolute numbers, more people moved to LA (+/- 300,000) than San Diego (+/- 162,000). Not sure what that proves or disproves other than numbers don't lie. Guess it depends where you live in LA--if you live in a nice area and take advantage of the cultural amenities of LA you might get bored with SD; if you are living in an average or below average area of LA with traffic and battling long lines everywhere you go, then the less congested and slower SD lifestyle would be more appealing. Then there is the job and income factor reality check, as another poster pointed out. I know I would enjoy living in Santa Monica; less so, if at all, in Downey, Covina, and Canoga Park.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Also, the republican suburbs of south orange County have growth controls.

So does Palm Springs, and riverside County, both republican.
Not a member

One down, one to go.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am not sure about growth controls, but I am certain it is much easier to experience greater percentage growth rates off of a significantly smaller base (3M) than a larger base (10M) and, based on above absolute numbers, more people moved to LA (+/- 300,000) than San Diego (+/- 162,000). Not sure what that proves or disproves other than numbers don't lie. Guess it depends where you live in LA--if you live in a nice area and take advantage of the cultural amenities of LA you might get bored with SD; if you are living in an average or below average area of LA with traffic and battling long lines everywhere you go, then the less congested and slower SD lifestyle would be more appealing. Then there is the job and income factor reality check, as another poster pointed out. I know I would enjoy living in Santa Monica; less so, if at all, in Downey, Covina, and Canoga Park.
Great point. There isn't a lot of SD that looks like LA but there is a lot of LA that looks like SD. Much of LA looks like the area of downtown next to the 5 with tall buildings, concrete and freeways.

Your income would greatly influence your lifestyle and could limit where you could live in LA.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
I think it's quite the opposite. Republicans generally are for less government intervention which is what growth controls exactly are. Plus it tells a lot of people what they can and can't do with their property, some that republican hate.

Texas, the poster child of republican states, is very pro-growth. The most anti/slower-growth part is also the most liberal, Austin. The most anti-growth metro in the state is also the most liberal, the SF Bay Area. Orange County is carpeted in development and wouldn't blink twice about grading a hillside for a cookie-cutter subdivision.

I know it's a generalization but republicans seem to be much more pro-growth than liberals/democrats and their ideology reflects that (anti-govt intervention) imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego