Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
CORONADO — A woman who died at the Spreckels Mansion (http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topics/Mansion - broken link) in Coronado Wednesday was found with a rope around her neck hanging from a balcony, her nude body bound at the wrists and ankles, sheriff’s investigators said Thursday.
She was identified as 32-year-old Rebecca M. Nalepa, aka Rebecca Zahau, the girlfriend of the homeowner and Arizona pharmaceutical tycoon Jonah Shacknai.
An autopsy was being conducted Thursday morning to determine her cause of death. Authorities said only that the death appears to be suspicious.
“We are not ready to say if it was a suicide or a criminal act,” said sheriff’s Capt. Tim Curran at a joint news conference held with Coronado police Chief Lou Scanlon.
Shacknai’s brother, Adam Shacknai, who was staying as a guest at the house, discovered Nalepa hanging from the second-story outdoor balcony about 6:45 a.m. Wednesday and called 911,
He is the one who cut her down, Curran said.

Coronado police officers believed she was dead when they arrived but performed lifesaving measures on Nalepa before paramedics pronounced her dead.
Curran declined to say where Jonah Shacknai was at the time other than to say he was not in the home.
No arrests have been made, nor have any suspects been identified. All of the people investigators have talked to have been referred to as witnesses only, Curran said.
Questioned as to how Nalepa could have possibly taken her own life, Curran said that while bizarre, it was a possibility.
He declined to give specifics about the material used to bind her limbs or any other information about what was found in the home so as not to compromise the investigation.
He did say that investigators found nothing to indicate the death was anything more than an isolated incident.
Nalepa was last seen alive Tuesday evening. Officials do not know what time the hanging occurred.
Shacknai, founder and chairman of Medicis (http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topics/House_of_Medici - broken link) Pharmaceuticals Corp., has lived with Nalepa for about two years, Shacknai’s ex-mother-in-law Nancy Romano told The Arizona Republic (http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topics/The_Arizona_Republic - broken link).
They were staying together in Shacknai’s mansion which sits across the street from the beach in the exclusive neighborhood on Ocean Boulevard (http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topics/Florida_State_Road_A1A - broken link).
Just three days before the death, Shacknai’s 6-year-old son Max that he had with ex-wife Dina was injured in a fall in the house.
Scanlon said officers and paramedics were called to the home by a woman about 10:10 a.m., and they found the boy unconscious and not breathing with no pulse.
CPR was performed and the youngster was taken to Coronado Hospital before being transferred to Rady’s Children Hospital. Hospital officials said they were not permitted to release his condition, Scanlon said.
Romano told the Republic that Nalepa was at the home when the boy was injured on the staircase.
Coronado police who investigated the boy’s fall said there was nothing to indicate that it was anything more than a tragic accident.
Curran said detectives do not see any connection between the two incidents.
Detectives were at the mansion until about 9 a.m. Thursday investigating and collecting evidence. Technicians were seen removing several items from the house including a table top, a roll of carpet and a large painting.
Former San Diego County District Attorney Paul Pfingst visited the home Wednesday night. He said that the family had been cooperating fully with investigators and that he was asked to help them in that effort.
Has anybody been following this?
I already see a "made for T.V. Movie" for this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,178 times
news to me where is the link to this

Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
with a rope around her neck hanging from a balcony, her nude body bound at the wrists and ankles
Quote:
Authorities said only that the death appears to be suspicious.
I tell ya, nothing gets by these guys! Sherlock Holmes couldn't hold a candle to these geniuses.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
news to me where is the link to this

Woman found hanging from Coronado mansion balcony, nude - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

On another note she was pretty hot

Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,502 times
Very sad loss.

So how many people put a noose around their neck, then bind their ankles and wrists, then jump off the balcony to hang themselves? I honestly don't know...but that's a lot of steps to go through to kill oneself, from an observer's point of view. Maybe something kinky?

The police are treading lightly on releasing information to the public and rightfully so. Their responses make them sound like idiots, but they have to be judicially careful , since they have a multibillionaire who's lawyers are watching the cops every step. I'm not saying that the boyfriend is at fault, but he is obviously a suspect even if he was "not there".

Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM

110 posts, read 377,007 times
My guess is...

A. She was depressed because she felt responsible for his son's accident and killed herself.

B. He killed her or had her killed because he blamed her for the son's accident.

The son's accident happening (2 days, I think) prior to the woman's death is too coincidental....but who knows..

Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Wow, San Diego is really a small town minded place, why would anyone post something like this on the forum when it's on front page news? Ok so the rich guys girl is dead, just another suspicious death in SD, nothing to write home about. It's very sad what happened, leave it be.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Wow, San Diego is really a small town minded place, why would anyone post something like this on the forum when it's on front page news? Ok so the rich guys girl is dead, just another suspicious death in SD, nothing to write home about. It's very sad what happened, leave it be.
I don't think this is 'just another suspicious death in SD'. This thing will probably blow up into a national news story (If it hasn't already). Brace yourself for a long and super sensational news event that will be almost inescapable as it blares from radios and TV sets everywhere you go.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

I have no doubt she was murdered
By who?
I can't call it!

All I can say is he's rich and He'll get away with it!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
All I can say is he's rich and He'll get away with it!
Ding ding ding ding ding ding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego