Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 PM

116 posts, read 251,551 times

Advertisements

From the convention center to hillcrest would not a pleasure walk, IMO. Half the walk would be uphill, too.

I've walked similar distances after a one night stand and similar scenarios. Doable, but not exactly enjoyable, if you get what I mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
From the convention center to hillcrest would not a pleasure walk, IMO. Half the walk would be uphill, too.

I've walked similar distances after a one night stand and similar scenarios. Doable, but not exactly enjoyable, if you get what I mean
I disagree. OP says he loves to walk, has the right shoes and seems to have a sense of adventure- he sounds like me. The walk up there is beautiful, through the heart of downtown, then up the hill with Balboa Park on one side, classic architecture through a 100 years of development on the other. In a new city especially- what better way to explore it? Google Maps assumes a pace just barely quicker than a Walmart waddle, so it wouldn't take him that long. I walk from South Park to the heart of downtown- lets say the Court House- in about 35 minutes and that's farther.

Go for it- you can always hop on a bus if you get tired or sore feet.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
^ I absolutely love to bike, walk, surf, yoga, and since I'm walking with my wife, it will make the time go by much more quickly. I always wear excellent walking shoes, so I was thinking of a walk from the Convention Center to Hillcrest Cinemas. Is this doable? I do love a long walk
Yeah its a nice walk especially if you with someone. By yourself, unless you had headphones or are really great at spacing out, might be fairly boring. The distance isnt the problem as much as the incline.

I would recommend riding a bike though. Its not so much about just getting to the desitnation as it is about getting around the destination. Bikes really give you that flexibility especially in the Balboa Park area.

Another note is that if you are downtown, as someone else mentioned, take the Coronado Ferry and ride around Coronado. There is also the trolley too which is a fun ride to Old Town. You are allowed to bring your bikes on the trolley as well.

The bike shop I recommend is on 6th and Island. They have done work on my bike for years. Actually I bought my mountain bike from them and their rentals are decent.
Bike Tours San Diego

Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 PM

55 posts, read 185,886 times
^Thanks for the advice, guys. I was wondering if most people in the area tend to ride beachcruisers, or mountain bikes? More walk/biking= more exercise for me, and less impact on the environment

Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
^Thanks for the advice, guys. I was wondering if most people in the area tend to ride beachcruisers, or mountain bikes? More walk/biking= more exercise for me, and less impact on the environment
For as fun as best beachcruisers are, I would definitely refrain from using one downtown or in an urban environment. The only area where I can see, is along the bay going towards Pt Loma where its very flat.

You need some flexibility in gear shifts and mobility in case of any danger. Plus its hilly, beachcruisers are not fun in that kind of situation.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM

55 posts, read 185,886 times
^ This is really helpful. I think someone said Coronado Beach is the cloest, but what about Ocean Beach? I know I'm not close enough to walk, but is there a trolly that can take me to downtown from here? I'm looking online, and it doesn't appear so, but would love it if I were wrong.
So, correct me if I am wrong, but you can walk to movie theaters(both independent and mainstream), Ballet, Balboa Park, Zoo, Opera, Broadway, Coronado Beach(by way of ferry), Petco Park, Qualcomm Stadium(by way of trolley), a plethora of restaurants, churches, grocery stores.
Just curious, but are there any area nearby where I could play miniature golf, go roller skating with my wife, or go bowling? Also, I am close enough to a good hospital in this area? Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate it.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
The trolley doesn't go to OB, but you can transfer to a bus (#35) in Old Town that will.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The trolley doesn't go to OB, but you can transfer to a bus (#35) in Old Town that will.
You could totally ride a bike to OB from downtown, too. Done it a bazillion times.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,035,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I disagree. OP says he loves to walk, has the right shoes and seems to have a sense of adventure- he sounds like me. The walk up there is beautiful, through the heart of downtown, then up the hill with Balboa Park on one side, classic architecture through a 100 years of development on the other. In a new city especially- what better way to explore it? Google Maps assumes a pace just barely quicker than a Walmart waddle, so it wouldn't take him that long. I walk from South Park to the heart of downtown- lets say the Court House- in about 35 minutes and that's farther.

Go for it- you can always hop on a bus if you get tired or sore feet.
It's a great walk! The hill's a little long, maybe, but it's not that bad. I don't think enough people appreciate walking as part of the journey anymore these days. Spending a few hours on your feet covering a lot of ground is an amazing way to experience a new city!

And yes, if you wear yourself out you can always bus it back downtown. I've done that enough times in San Francisco where I ended up miles from where I started and my calves were about to snap from all the hills...

Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
You could totally ride a bike to OB from downtown, too. Done it a bazillion times.
Yes. The entrance to the bike path that rides along the river is past Perrys cafe over Rosecrans on Pacific Hwy.

The entrance is right under the massive overpass. Once you get on just keep cruising west until you hit dog beach at the inlet.

Awesome ride

Good call Jenkay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego