Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM

12 posts, read 48,697 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on here. I am native San Diegan, have lived all over the state. We retired 13 years ago and some friends talked us into relocating in another state near the south. I had never lived anywhere outside of CA and everything looked so good, cleaner air, cleaner water, beautiful environment, etc. You can take the girl out of CA but you can't take CA out of the girl. I have witnessed social differences, lovely people, clannish people, intolerance of differences and lots of different things for me to learn about. Still proud to be a Californian and miss so many things I took for granted while I lived there. Are negatives, but they are everywhere. I do like being where people aren't concerned about what I do about going to church or who I vote for. CA is basically live and let live. There are so many choices there and diversity is good for growth and tolerance. All of the good and bad is in all states but all people from all states are not the same. I do miss and desire communication from people who are in CA . I know many changes are taking place and costs drove us out for our retirement. I think I might live there again if I could manage the costs and enjoy the weather and availability of good, fresh food like fish and vegetables. Have a Nice Day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM

152 posts, read 280,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean Lady View Post
This is my first post on here. I am native San Diegan, have lived all over the state. We retired 13 years ago and some friends talked us into relocating in another state near the south. I had never lived anywhere outside of CA and everything looked so good, cleaner air, cleaner water, beautiful environment, etc. You can take the girl out of CA but you can't take CA out of the girl. I have witnessed social differences, lovely people, clannish people, intolerance of differences and lots of different things for me to learn about. Still proud to be a Californian and miss so many things I took for granted while I lived there. Are negatives, but they are everywhere. I do like being where people aren't concerned about what I do about going to church or who I vote for. CA is basically live and let live. There are so many choices there and diversity is good for growth and tolerance. All of the good and bad is in all states but all people from all states are not the same. I do miss and desire communication from people who are in CA . I know many changes are taking place and costs drove us out for our retirement. I think I might live there again if I could manage the costs and enjoy the weather and availability of good, fresh food like fish and vegetables. Have a Nice Day!!
Well said, good first post!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I went to La Jolla to do a couple classes at Scripps.

People are simple rude. Better than, easily not pleased, exceptionally poor customer service....granted I am easily ticked off but my god. Maybe it was just the hospital area....could not say for sure. After leaving guy gets on my bumper. Seriously?

Was I having a bad day or is this a well known reality there?
La Jolla is a disgusting area... I had engineering job in the area and left because I couldn't tolerate the massive amounts of snotty fake provincial plastic jerks bumbling around thinking they're some kind of aristocracy and elite

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
I agree dave bacon. T lady makes an interesting point about politics and religion. I think people have their beliefs but don't get as bent out of shape if someone else's are different as they do in most other parts of the country. I think sometimes people misinterpret this lack of outspokeness as apathy or self absorption (which of course sometimes is the case-as anywhere else though) but those that have opinions are for the most part not bloviating to others as much . This post also drives home the point that if you like SD, one needs to be very aggressive in retirement planning. We have always been good about retirement planning, but may need to kick it up yet another notch to be able to stay. I don't feel like moving to anywhere hot and/or humid and/or overly religious.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM

258 posts, read 533,952 times
La Jolla is Beverly Hills by the beach.

Not the friendliest people.

Not to say they are mean, just not friendly.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
On the flip side, some customer service people become more negative because of, well, customers. While I do believe that companies should be more discerning in who they hire, customers need to loosen up their attitudes too. Sometimes, the customer really isn't right.
Work one holiday season at any retailer and I guarantee you that no matter how much you care about taking care of the customer, by the end of it, you'll be thinking, look, just buy the bleeping thing and get out of my face.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM

167 posts, read 278,270 times
Well I visited California in June for a week and believe me after driving the freeways I wanted to leave and get back as fast as possible.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Take a drive to National City and/or Imperial Beach sometime. Park and walk around (if you dare) your experience in La Jolla will no longer seem negative.
whats wrong with the IB area? I thought the area near the pier was nice..

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I went to La Jolla to do a couple classes at Scripps.

People are simple rude. Better than, easily not pleased, exceptionally poor customer service....granted I am easily ticked off but my god. Maybe it was just the hospital area....could not say for sure. After leaving guy gets on my bumper. Seriously?

Was I having a bad day or is this a well known reality there?
How do you know they are from La Jolla? Most people commute to UC/ La Jolla from places like Carlsbad, Mira Mesa, and Santee. Especially if it's a lower paying service job.

Regardless, as a waiter at a chain restaurant in La Jolla and later in inland north county, I think it's true that people tend to be a little more uptight and rude than most cities/neighborhoods in the county. The people are also pretty cheap considering their affluence- poor tippers really. You also have a larger number of moms with cosmetic surgery and spoiled children who give their parents attitude (I've been in some really awkward situations lol.) I also noticed that the customers tended to be more racist- surprisingly. I was treated differently than my hispanic coworkers, who sometimes were mocked if they had a slight accent.

These situations were not frequent, but definitely more common than other parts of San Diego where I have worked. Overall, I think that La Jollans are nice people and it's not common to face poor customer service in the area.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
How do you know they are from La Jolla? Most people commute to UC/ La Jolla from places like Carlsbad, Mira Mesa, and Santee. Especially if it's a lower paying service job.

Regardless, as a waiter at a chain restaurant in La Jolla and later in inland north county, I think it's true that people tend to be a little more uptight and rude than most cities/neighborhoods in the county. The people are also pretty cheap considering their affluence- poor tippers really. You also have a larger number of moms with cosmetic surgery and spoiled children who give their parents attitude (I've been in some really awkward situations lol.) I also noticed that the customers tended to be more racist- surprisingly. I was treated differently than my hispanic coworkers, who sometimes were mocked if they had a slight accent.

These situations were not frequent, but definitely more common than other parts of San Diego where I have worked. Overall, I think that La Jollans are nice people and it's not common to face poor customer service in the area.

Considering this thread is months old and revived...

One thing I have noticed over the years is that the pace of life in La Jolla seems a bit quicker and snappier than other areas of the coast I have been to during the week and lunch rushes.

I have many business lunches in that area there and servers have to be on their A game because of the turnover and amount of people coming in. Reminds me more of denser urban areas during a lunch rush more so than chill coastal town where one can relax. UTC is very much like this as well.

With that being said, I think the weekend crowds in the offseason or off lunch times are probably more reflective of the locals and their attimtude more so than some jerk in their car that is in a rush to get somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego