Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,332 times

Advertisements

EVERY place has its pros and cons. Seriously, it just works that way out of necessity. If one place had it all, we'd all want to live there and the prices would be driven through the roof.

Much of what happened to San Diego....In 2000, you could make the median salary here and find good 60k jobs all day long.....buy a home for 300k....life was good and we didn't even know it.

Then the home prices more than doubled, now you need a 100k job (of which there are few) and often the wife needs to work as well. But all you can find are the 60k jobs still.

If your starting out, forget it. You have been priced out of the market for a lifetime.

But.........and I will say this again, to all the naysayers that think our Real Estate Market will tank and that theirs is immune....nobody in their right mind would pay more to live anywhere else in the US, it just wouldn't make sense because the climate/lifestyle here is the best.

I say this because when I was in Dallas they are in a 'mini' housing boom because soooooooooooooo many Californians are escaping in search of lower cost housing. Realtors there think they will eclipse us........Not the case, my money is on CA....the minute all the transplants there see they can move back to SoCal for the same price they paid in Dallas.......there will be a huge sucking sound of all the Californians fleeing for home.

That will push the prices up again and the cycle will start all over. This happened in the late 80s, it will happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 PM

170 posts, read 473,710 times
Hi Donna, We live in the east bay up in the San Fran area now, but are moving back to SAn Diego in about 9 months for a job transfer, thank God. We had considered relocating to Ariz. and Texas and have checked out both areas. Honestly, it is soooo hot there, I felt like we were living in a volcano. In Dallas, we could not sit outside at night more than 5 minutes. We would jump in the pool, and within 20 minutes, would be sweltering again. I am not a shut in so I dont want to have to live in the house for 5 months a year. Think about this. If its 95 to over 100, what could you possibly do outside? NOTHING. No hiking, no biking, no jogging. No visiting places outside for things to do.
I admit I am spoiled living here, but I always figured, I would try to make my life as comfortable as I could since I only have one chance.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
EVERY place has its pros and cons. Seriously, it just works that way out of necessity. If one place had it all, we'd all want to live there and the prices would be driven through the roof.

Much of what happened to San Diego....In 2000, you could make the median salary here and find good 60k jobs all day long.....buy a home for 300k....life was good and we didn't even know it.

Then the home prices more than doubled, now you need a 100k job (of which there are few) and often the wife needs to work as well. But all you can find are the 60k jobs still.

If your starting out, forget it. You have been priced out of the market for a lifetime.

But.........and I will say this again, to all the naysayers that think our Real Estate Market will tank and that theirs is immune....nobody in their right mind would pay more to live anywhere else in the US, it just wouldn't make sense because the climate/lifestyle here is the best.

I say this because when I was in Dallas they are in a 'mini' housing boom because soooooooooooooo many Californians are escaping in search of lower cost housing. Realtors there think they will eclipse us........Not the case, my money is on CA....the minute all the transplants there see they can move back to SoCal for the same price they paid in Dallas.......there will be a huge sucking sound of all the Californians fleeing for home.

That will push the prices up again and the cycle will start all over. This happened in the late 80s, it will happen again.
First you say if you didn't get in yet you never will,......then you say people will move back in droves when prices correct. ???? lol which is it? I live in the DFW area and I will never move back to San Diego regardless of prices. I miss it dearly...but I can afford to visit often because my husband and I make more in Texas and bought a house below our means out here. There's more to life than the weather. San Diego has always been known for that....but prices have NEVER been this high. This will not sustain. It can't!! Incomes do not support it.
Not only are Californian's moving to Texas in droves, so are California companies. They can't recruit people to the area anymore due to the cost of living. California is in for a huge correction.....no doubt about it.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 PM

You say there is more to life than the weather. Well San Diego and Cal in general has it all. plus you can do it all year round. Texas is flat, doesnt have anywhere near the outside activities of Cal. And you are basically house confined for months. There is no ocean, no mountains, no national parks, forests, skiing surfing, all types of things to do that are not in Texas.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
You say there is more to life than the weather. Well San Diego and Cal in general has it all. plus you can do it all year round. Texas is flat, doesnt have anywhere near the outside activities of Cal. And you are basically house confined for months. There is no ocean, no mountains, no national parks, forests, skiing surfing, all types of things to do that are not in Texas.
I agree about San Diego and all that there is to do. It's my home town!! I visit often. I am not house confined for months.... lol. There's really only 2 months that it's really hot here.
The last few times i visited most of my friends couldn't afford to do anything while we were out there. These are well educated people with good jobs. They are working to just survive out there basically. That's no way to live.
By the way ....there is an ocean in Texas!! And beautiful parks. There are some areas that are absolutley majestic and green. How much of it have you actually seen?
Anyway, yes there is more to life than the weather....like a large savings account and peace of mind!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM

I agree that if you cant afford to live in San Diego, it would be tough. If you got into the state years ago as we did, you are ok. Its all about supply and demand. Whenever I see posts about moving out of state, I just think about all we have here compared to anywhere else. Housing prices are all supply and demand. The prices are so high cause many want to live here. Prices in Texas for example are so low, cause you get what you paid for. It is still hot in Dallas, in the 90s all week. The hot weather actually lasts from May to October. As far as an ocean in Texas, you got me. Where is it. DO you consider the lakes around Dallas an ocean?
I have seen quite a bit of the Dallas area and of course west of there. But there is not much west of Dallas or anywhere outside of the area either. Have to go down to Austin or SA which are both long boring drives away. Anyway, to each his own. We searched far and wide and cant find anywhere approaching S.Cal.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I agree that if you cant afford to live in San Diego, it would be tough. If you got into the state years ago as we did, you are ok. Its all about supply and demand. Whenever I see posts about moving out of state, I just think about all we have here compared to anywhere else. Housing prices are all supply and demand. The prices are so high cause many want to live here. Prices in Texas for example are so low, cause you get what you paid for. It is still hot in Dallas, in the 90s all week. The hot weather actually lasts from May to October. As far as an ocean in Texas, you got me. Where is it. DO you consider the lakes around Dallas an ocean?
I have seen quite a bit of the Dallas area and of course west of there. But there is not much west of Dallas or anywhere outside of the area either. Have to go down to Austin or SA which are both long boring drives away. Anyway, to each his own. We searched far and wide and cant find anywhere approaching S.Cal.
Look at the US map and tell me where the oceans are. (look at the coastlines) lol...
Yes if you got in years ago....got a fixed rate and didn't take false equity out of your home to finance a lifestyle than yeah your probably ok.....unfortunatley too many people did the opposite. Supply and demand no longer holds true out there. There is a stockpile of homes that are not selling,
a shocking percentage in foreclosure and pre foreclosure, and more people are leaving the state than moving in. And as far as getting what you pay for, 500k for 1400 sq feet in SD in a non desirable neighborhood.....no way. Like you said ...to each his own . Prices will continue to fall for years now ...so maybe we'll buy a second home out there in a few years for when we visit. lol .
Mind if I ask what area you live in?

Last edited by shannon94; 09-30-2006 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 AM

Shannon, I respetively disagree with your supply and demand post. It is working. The demand is falling off now due to the high prices. So the prices are starting to level and even come down a little. BUt only a little. THey are still very high compared to everywhere else. THere is no recession here. Prices in SF and LA are still rising just not as fast. And SD has declined only a little. Supply and demand is still working. You dont know if prices will fall for years. No one does. In fact everyone is predicting a soft landing. Cal. is a very desirable place to live. It always will be despite some who try to post doom and gloom. Texas and Dallas have traffic problems too. I was just there and ran into tons of traffic. THere is lots of crime too. Esp in the city and south of it. I think that most who move away, end up dreaming of moving back and missing all that is here. I know I did for a year in 1994 when we moved out to the Atlanta area. Talk about traffic? Wow,they have it worse. And the bugs. We had termites eating thru the walls of our home, scorpion in the kitchen and big flying black bugs everywhere. My wife and daughter freaked out every day. And the fire ants mounds were everywhere. I still think we have it all here.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,622 times
Johnmarg, please accept my apologies for not responding sooner; I waned to thank you for your response to my question as to where you're living now. I have a school friend that I just met up with 25 years later, and he is now a single dad, lived in San Francisco, and absolutely loved it. I asked him why he moved back here to NE OH; he responded that he moved here with his two adopted sons because his family is here, and he wanted the boys to know the grandparents. He is itching very badly to get back to CA. I asked him where he would go, he said, anywhere in CA. He told me that you get what you pay for. I have to agree. I see the mass exodus to promised lands such as the Carolinas, and while they are beautiful in their own way, they aren't filled with manna either, nor are they the solutions to everything that is "perceived" as "bad" in CA. I have to concur 100% that we get one opportunity in this life-time, and if at all possible (I'm one that believes that anything is possible if one believes and dares to make dreams come true), it is worth it to pay a little more and enjoy one's surroundings.

Thanks again, I enjoy reading your posts. They are a departure from the whining and complaining about how bad CA is. I don't doubt that there are problems, but for anyone to believe that any other state is going to be totally different, that there will not be OTHER problems (I think the key word is "other problems") - that's an illusion as well. Perhaps we each need to decide which problems we can live with, and which ones drive us absolutely insane, warranting making a move to somewhere we can have some peace, and feel is "home."

Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Shannon, I respetively disagree with your supply and demand post. It is working. The demand is falling off now due to the high prices. So the prices are starting to level and even come down a little. BUt only a little. THey are still very high compared to everywhere else. THere is no recession here. Prices in SF and LA are still rising just not as fast. And SD has declined only a little. Supply and demand is still working. You dont know if prices will fall for years. No one does. In fact everyone is predicting a soft landing. Cal. is a very desirable place to live. It always will be despite some who try to post doom and gloom. Texas and Dallas have traffic problems too. I was just there and ran into tons of traffic. THere is lots of crime too. Esp in the city and south of it. I think that most who move away, end up dreaming of moving back and missing all that is here. I know I did for a year in 1994 when we moved out to the Atlanta area. Talk about traffic? Wow,they have it worse. And the bugs. We had termites eating thru the walls of our home, scorpion in the kitchen and big flying black bugs everywhere. My wife and daughter freaked out every day. And the fire ants mounds were everywhere. I still think we have it all here.
Traffic IS getting bad in Texas!! Much worse than when I moved here 7 years ago. Alot of people have moved out here in the last few years. Luckily I don't live in Dallas, I live in the metroplex between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Takes me 7 minutes to get to work....hubby works from home. Thank God!! It's nothing like the 805 or 5 in SD or the 101 in LA. People do drive stupid out here though...that's for sure! At least California drivers have a rhythm!! lol
Anyway don't get me wrong.....I don't hate California...I just think it's a mess right now. And we do disagree on supply and demand and the weather being a factor for the high prices. It's creative and predatory lending coupled with historically low interest rates that are the cause of the run up in prices. People are getting into homes now that wouldn't have been able to just ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego