Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog
There is delusion in this thread in my opinion. Texas, Tenn, etc. are no match for San Diego and no amount of dull square feet can make up for that.
Best comment ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
Um, but most people don't have that $ million ++ view. And you caught the bay on a good day with no smog/haze!

Maybe you should post a picture of Rosecrans (the street right below these houses) at any time of the day. Yucky, run-down with lots of traffic, bums, etc.
View is great, surrounding areas suck.
Let me guess, you must live in North County or at least the northern part of the city where anything is considered run-down because there isn't a Chili's, Olive Garden or STaples up the street?

Have you been to PL recently? It's getting a facelift with the new Naval Training Center development nearing completion. Yes, there is traffic, but can you really tell me what large city doesn't have it?

Oh, and you know as well as I do that the pic I posted could have been taken any day it hasn't rained since July. It's been nothing but clear and beautiful since then. We really do need some rain, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94
Yeah!! lol and don't forget all the strip joints too!!! What a nice feature eh?
Those strip joints you are referring to are closer to the sports arena which is miles away from the area where I took that pic.

Question for you - You've been away from SD for sometime now, but why do you still bother posting negative comments about SD after all these years? Shouldn't you be in the DFW thread praising how your life in your new hometown?

It really is okay to admit that you miss SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
[moderator edit - personal attack]

I love all these pictures of San Diego and thanks for posting them. We are looking in the OC and San Diego area for a oceanview home. We moved to Texas ourselves a little over 2 years ago and can not wait to come back to the coast of California. Wish us luck!

Last edited by Roma; 01-23-2007 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Those strip joints you are referring to are closer to the sports arena which is miles away from the area where I took that pic.

Question for you - You've been away from SD for sometime now, but why do you still bother posting negative comments about SD after all these years? Shouldn't you be in the DFW thread praising how your life in your new hometown?

It really is okay to admit that you miss SD.
I thought her comment about Rosecrans was funny that's all. lol I don't have a problem with SD at all. I visit often......my beef with California is what's going on with home prices, traffic, etc. I have said often that I miss San Diego but it's mostly for sentimental reasons and friends/family....so I get my fix about 4 times a year...... I have the best of both worlds. Money in the bank......and several vacations to a place I know like the back of my hand. San Diego is beautiful, no doubt about it....but it's far from being a Utopia. See you in March!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 AM

112 posts, read 683,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We moved to Texas ourselves a little over 2 years ago and can not wait to come back to the coast of California. Wish us luck!
What part of Texas are you in? Would you like share your experience in Texas? I am thinking seriously to relocate to Austin, Texas due to a job offer. I read a lot in Austin, Texas forum. So many people in that forum moved to Austin from San Diego or SoCal and are really happy about their life there. Their voice is so uniformed that I doubt they are true. A negative opinion will be high appeciated.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Hi austin_or_sd, This is long but I think it is important.
I am up near Dallas, about 25 minutes south west of Fort Worth in Granbury. We retired 2 years ago from the coast in California and thought it would be nice living on a lake with some land a boat ect. We were stunned at the cheap prices and bought a huge beautiful home, 5 prime acres on the lake and paid $800,000 cash from just some of our equaty we made off our beachfront home. We made alot of equaty/oceanfront. So we are not slumming it by no means and actually our home is now worth at least $1,300,000 in just a little over 2 years. We also have other properties here as investments. It was timming. And to tell you the truth, we enjoyed it for the first year. Something different, boating, decorating, stuff like that. But then reality set in and we thought we can't live here forever. We are retired and can move anywhere and we are only 40 years old so back to California we go.
When people come to our home (pizza, plumber, pool guy, everyone) they ALL comment on how beautiful our home is, our property, everything. When we tell them we want to move back to California they say stuff like "how can you do better then this". Well, to tell you the truth anywhere along the coast in Ca is better then anywhere in Texas. The weather here is awful, the bugs, the people. I'ts just "different" and it is not what we like.
The reason I mention our home is because it doesn't matter how big your home is, the truth is your still in Texas. Kinda like what a poster said a couple posts up. No matter how much square footage you have, you cannot compare it to California. You know the saying "you get what you pay for". I think for some Californians they may like Texas and others (us) don't.
I read on here how Californians want to move because of the housing prices in Ca are so high and the crime, the traffic, ect. But they do not see the bigger picture. There is traffic here, even in Granbury and Granbury is a small town (bumper to bumper all day long on Highway 377). There is crime everywhere. Look at the stats for Houston and Dallas. The weather. The bugs.
I think Austin is different then all the rest of Texas though. But we have never been there. When we said were planning to move to Texas we were told "are you crazy, Texas?" We got that alot. But they did say if they HAD to move to Texas then they would move to Austin.
I think it is up to you. I would ask yourself what do you enjoy to do? Can you do that in Austin? What kind of weather do you prefer? Does Austin have that weather? What are your standards of living? Does Austin meet that?
One thing about Texas is you will see alot of the Texas state flag flying. Which I like but with that you get the "nothing is better then Texas attitude". Ask a Texan about the bug problem and Texans will say "what bugs". LOL!!!
I know the Texas boards are all "it's great in Texas" but I did read one Texan in Austin that said all the Californians that she knew in Texas want to go back to California and are waiting for the prices to go down so they can. Who Knows, but wright everything down, what you are looking for in a location by starting with what are the most important things to you first and I bet you will see if Austin or San Diego is the place for you. Good Luck!

Last edited by Roma; 01-24-2007 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Sorry, I grew up in La Jolla AND Pt. Loma. I still have family in PL that has lived there since the 1940's. They live a few blocks above SouthWestern where you took that picture, so I know what the view looks like. That said, the bay view is still nicer than most views, for sure.
Pt. Loma has become the armpit of the wealthy. I've watched it go from sailors walking the streets to prostitutes. I've been shot at & robbed (2 different occasions) while working at the Baskin-Robbins that used to be on Rosecrans.
For the price, I'd at least pick a nicer overall area that didn't have run-down areas & strip-joints. To get anywhere around or out of PL, you need to drive past these eye-sores. Pt. Loma used to be classy - it's not anymore. Look, my relatives and some friends still love Point Loma and always will. I don't. End of story. I'll take my La Jolla any day.

BTW- I HATE Chili's and Olive Garden! Ban the chains and strip malls!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM

Shot at twice!!! Well forget Point Loma for me then . But I have to say those are beautiful pictures. I hope I can find a safe area with great views like that though somewhere.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Roma, keep in mind that everyone's opinion is subjective here. And, since the thread is "anyone thinking of relocating out of San Diego", you might expect some negative replies about different areas from those of us looking to get out of San Diego. Although my stance on Pt. Loma still stands.

You should check out any area you have in mind. You're the only one who'll know whether an area is right for you. If you want those bay or ocean views, there's certainly many places you can look in San Diego county that'll give you great views. If you can afford it, try La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas. You might also try Mission Hills to keep the bay view. With La Jolla, Del Mar and Encinitas you can have an ocean view.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks Kimmer, I will check out those other cities you listed.
Best of Luck to you too!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Point Loma is awesome, it's in the heart of the city, and yes rosecrans is scuzzy, but stay out of baskin robbins at 1AM and you should be OK.

Hell the taco shop around the corner from my house gets robbed at least once a month and I never feel unsafe :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego