Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times

Advertisements

The whole point of journalism is going against the status quo and investigating things and exposing the truth. Could this be bad? It's all subjective but I personally think telling journalists what they can or can't write goes against the whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
bradley,

Investigative journalism and media outlets are black and white.

People dont necessarily want to know the details or in depth research in a story. Looks at what cable news channels have become. That should be a clear indicator as to what people are tuning into or not.

I am sure there is plenty of research out there that supports what people watch and want to hear vs what actually is happening. You should get used to news like Manchester. He is only following what Berkshire Hathaway is doing but in a much smaller scale.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I read the LA Times and the KFMB web site. UT is still the best local coverage, unfortunately. It has been a long slow decline but with Papa Doug it's just getting too weird.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
San Diego Free Press is another outlet worth mentioning. San Diego Free Press
I checked the SDFP website using your link and just yesterday they had an excellent article about how screwed up, partisan, and simply unfair the new Manchester UT (MUT) has become. It's well worth a read.

The Starting Line

Check this garbage out which shows the MUT has now openly admitted they're a partisan news source completely lacking in objectivity and fairness. As if it wasn't already obvious when they made the Roger Hedgecrap show their "news" leader on the MUT's website. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/seeingred/

Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
The whole point of journalism is going against the status quo and investigating things and exposing the truth. Could this be bad? It's all subjective but I personally think telling journalists what they can or can't write goes against the whole point.
Back when I was selling advertising for a magazine, I was told that I was not to discuss any advertising contracts or negotiations with any of the reporting staff present. It was okay for me to introduce the writers to my contacts, but advertising discussions were not to be done with them around.

The advertisers respected this, and many of them thought it was a great idea. This was because they knew that if they made it into the editorial, it was based on the news value, not because they cut us a check for an ad. So did the readers.

There is supposed to be a firewall between journalists and the business side of things. Manchester has blown that up. I can't respect that, and I come from the business side of it.

And did I just read that right? The Union Tribune (up yours, Manchester) just ran an ad that depicted our President as someone with devil horns and which said he was the friend of Satan? If you don't like Obama, that's fine, but respect the office of the President.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 AM

Yep, he did indeed.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
I read some of the online U-T articles just to read the comment section and there are people who are happy about how The U-T and North County Times are now with comments like "Finally, the two liberal rags are now reliable news sources!." seriously?!?!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
It sounds like the perfect timing for someone to start a new paper.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It sounds like the perfect timing for someone to start a new paper.
There you go. At least you know where Manchester stands as a businessman. Just like any other business if its not hitting numbers and is draining cash, it is not sustainable. Only time will tell if he so ego driven to not change things to what readers will pay for vs reporting news.

My gut tells me that most locals won't care in the future either way. While it won't be an award winning newspaper, it will sell plenty of copies just on its real estate section alone.
People that actually want investigative journalism will know where to get it and donate to it.
Otherwise IMHO from a business point of view, its a total waste of resources trying to do the right thing for the sake purity in what a local newspaper should stand for.

So long as real estate goes up, cats are saved from trees from firemen and we have some #1 of something on some list, it sounds like the UT and NC Times will sell plenty. Which all aren't necessarily bad...

Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM

An excellent article from the Voice of San Diego about what a two faced liar Doug Manchester is. It also goes into how he's already ordering journalists at the North County Times to start slanting articles the way he wants; they'll either have to give up their journalism principles or get fired.

The Two Faces of Papa Doug - Voice of San Diego: Economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego