Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I've looked up a lot of the salary/COL calculators and salaries in finance and engineering seem to be very similar in Houston, or Dallas vs. the Bay Area - maybe around 10% less. But COL is literally 50% less. I've also heard of people who moved to Texas from the Bay Area and gotten a pay raise.
In some instances yes, and also RTP in NC if one desires a relocation to either place. Problem is all the good opportunity and start-ups are in the Bay area overall, it's a double edges sword because the likes of working for Google or Apple is so enticing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,815 times
While I go on and on, another thing struck me after reading other posts and where to move to. Everybody has different criteria on what is important to them, so saying person A should move to location B may not work for many people. Whether someone should move to CA or not really depends upon what is ultimately important to that person.

For example, I joke with certain people at my work because they would be happy living in some cold, desolate, grey place (ahem Western PA, just kidding) because they love sitting inside and writing or doing other indoor hobbies. They could give a rat's a$$ about California's great weather! They could live almost anywhere.

Then there are people who want to start a family and having a decent sized home and COL is important; for CA someone starting out will have to wait a decade or more to get into some fixer upper home. For those people, CA isn't the best place to start for COL and business reasons.

But then there are people like me and many others I know where after we're done at work, we like to have places to go, things / hobbies to do, and destinations to explore in a decent time frame. For those people, CA has a great diversity of things to do and geography to explore. For example, there's tons of mountain biking within a 1/2 driving from my house of the caliber that others drive days to in order to do the same thing. What others call a week's vacation, I call a day's drive.

So the decision of where to live basically means the person needs to do some soul searching on what is important to that person and apply decisions accordingly.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM

354 posts, read 385,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Then when you come it here, eat a bunch of your vegan food stuff, watch somesunsets, kiss a vegan boy, surf,aspire to be a model/engineer looking for a job HARD, but it might not happen. Well it probably wont...Not because you didn't try, but bc the economy sucks now and 22 year old(hell 40 year olds) with all kinds of ambition want to live here.
lol thanks for the quick "I'm sorry" only to follow up by belittling my desires. NOT.

can't say I'll take advice from someone so judgmental. guess i really p*ssed you off when I said I was pretty?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's nothing wrong with working a low level job while you're looking for something better. It pays the bills and you don't end up somewhere that the only thing you like about the place is the job you got.
AMEN! I'm really not sure how many times I need to reiterate this point.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
While I go on and on, another thing struck me after reading other posts and where to move to. Everybody has different criteria on what is important to them, so saying person A should move to location B may not work for many people. Whether someone should move to CA or not really depends upon what is ultimately important to that person.

For example, I joke with certain people at my work because they would be happy living in some cold, desolate, grey place (ahem Western PA, just kidding) because they love sitting inside and writing or doing other indoor hobbies. They could give a rat's a$$ about California's great weather! They could live almost anywhere.

Then there are people who want to start a family and having a decent sized home and COL is important; for CA someone starting out will have to wait a decade or more to get into some fixer upper home. For those people, CA isn't the best place to start for COL and business reasons.

But then there are people like me and many others I know where after we're done at work, we like to have places to go, things / hobbies to do, and destinations to explore in a decent time frame. For those people, CA has a great diversity of things to do and geography to explore. For example, there's tons of mountain biking within a 1/2 driving from my house of the caliber that others drive days to in order to do the same thing. What others call a week's vacation, I call a day's drive.

So the decision of where to live basically means the person needs to do some soul searching on what is important to that person and apply decisions accordingly.
I'm in the third category- no kids, no need for a house-- just want to put in my time working and then enjoy life.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
In some instances yes, and also RTP in NC if one desires a relocation to either place. Problem is all the good opportunity and start-ups are in the Bay area overall, it's a double edges sword because the likes of working for Google or Apple is so enticing
what is RTP?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
It's not for everyone and most Engineers can make a better living elsewhere if they desire to own a home and have a much larger disposable income for other things which goes up in smoke with the high cost of living there.
I'm thinking CA for a couple years, then going somewhere else if I want to settle down.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Miami is way worse, but San Diego salaries are in line with South Florida if not worse.
I'm going to focus more on finding jobs near LA, not necessarily only SD now. All of california really.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Could not have said it better myself, you are in tune with this effect and it is very evident in California and without a doubt South Florida, both places attract these types young and old. I always wondered what all those young people were doing at Starbucks in the middle of the afternoon sitting around with their laptops and iPads while I saw a plethora of luxury cars parked out in the parking lot. I was just strolling in for a iced coffee on my lunch break and it looked like a Saturday afternoon but it wasn't.
yeah, i figured that much. I'm of the "work hard and pay your dues" type work ethic, and there's no silver spoon over here!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
what is RTP?
Research Triangle Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego