Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,371 times

Advertisements

Next month I have to be in Tijuana at 8am, and I am traveling there from Phoenix, AZ. My idea is to get a cheap hotel/motel room the night before somewhere near the border (US side), the just drive across to TJ in the morning. Any ideas on a halfway decent hotel/motel? I am not familiar at all with the area, and that being said, I was considering the Motel 6 in San Ysidro. Any help from the natives? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I am intimately familiar with this area and I would say you should be fine. I wouldn't have said that 15 years ago. Key word in my response is "should". Although the general border area in San Ysidro has greatly improved in the last years, there is still a lingering risk with staying down there. There is criminal activity operating out of some of the hotels/motels but it is usually clandestine in nature and won't draw much attention. They (criminals) won't mess with you or your car. The last thing they want is police showing up there.

If I were in your shoes, I would stay at the Ramada or La Quinta Inn off the 805 on E Street in Chula Vista. It is about 8 miles north of the San Ysidro port of entry. I takes about ten minutes to get to the border from there, almost the same as San Ysidro hotels due to horrendous traffic on the surface streets.

Stay away from hotels on the I-5 corridor from National City to the border. Mainly prostitution and other vice.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I am intimately familiar with this area and I would say you should be fine. I wouldn't have said that 15 years ago. Key word in my response is "should". Although the general border area in San Ysidro has greatly improved in the last years, there is still a lingering risk with staying down there. There is criminal activity operating out of some of the hotels/motels but it is usually clandestine in nature and won't draw much attention. They (criminals) won't mess with you or your car. The last thing they want is police showing up there.

If I were in your shoes, I would stay at the Ramada or La Quinta Inn off the 805 on E Street in Chula Vista. It is about 8 miles north of the San Ysidro port of entry. I takes about ten minutes to get to the border from there, almost the same as San Ysidro hotels due to horrendous traffic on the surface streets.

Stay away from hotels on the I-5 corridor from National City to the border. Mainly prostitution and other vice.
I greatly appreciate that advice! I checked and La Quinta is $125, but the Ramada is only $60. I will probably stay at the Ramada, $60 is a decent price.

So just to clarify, is that area of Chula Vista a much better area than San Ysidro?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I greatly appreciate that advice! I checked and La Quinta is $125, but the Ramada is only $60. I will probably stay at the Ramada, $60 is a decent price.

So just to clarify, is that area of Chula Vista a much better area than San Ysidro?
Yes Chula Vista is a better area than San ysidro. But that's not to say San Ysidro is dangerous or anything. It's not a ghetto or a slum. It's just an older part of San Diego with a lower income mainly latino neighborhood. Just like any place in any part of the US, just be cautious.

Chula Vista is still a 7-10 minute freeway commute to the border, or 15-20 minute trolley ride which takes you right to the border crossing. If you want to be within walking distance there's many motels nearby (i forgot the name of the streets in the area) and there is a pretty large and popular outlet center with views of . . .the border! Pretty decent place IMO coming from a guy who hates malls.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Oh, and there's a thing ... If you drive over, you *must* get Mexican car insurance. And you'll have to line up in the long queue to drive back into the 'states. To dodge that issue, can you get by with taking the trolley to the border and walking across, and using a cab in Tijuana?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Yeah, my recommendation would be to take the trolley to the border and have a cab take you around in TJ. That opens everything that is near the trolley to you for lodging.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM

You guys have provided me with a lot of good information! I am currently exploring my options as I have a couple weeks before I head out. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post

Yes that area is a lot better. Ramada is fine. There is a Denny's across the street and a Mexican restaurant right next to it-Los Arcos. On the other side of 805 is the Plaza Bonita mall if you need anything.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
^Los Arco's has very good Baja style seafood. Hope I didnt go off track...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Brief Update - I did end up staying at the Ramada on 91 East Bonita Road in Chula Vista. It was perfect for my needs. Nothing fancy, just a place to crash and very quick and easy to cross the border in the morning. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. It only cost me $68.85 out the door with taxes and everything. So to anyone else who is looking for lodging in that area, I can personally vouch for this hotel.

A big thanks to echo42 and everyone else who left the helpful comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego