Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I like to think of myself as someone who is open-minded, hip, etc...but even I am shocked by what I see HS students wearing.

I was driving on Camino del Sur when school was letting out at the HS there. That area is very high-income (mostly homes 700k-2 mil) and probably is not viewed as a school fraught with violence or behavioral problems.

I could not believe the shorts some of the girls were wearing! They may as well have been wearing crotchless panties! Really, it was a disgrace. And the sagging pants were pretty bad, too.

Between the cell phones and the inappropriate clothing, I don't know how teachers can accomplish what they are trained to do.
It's astounding... when I went to high school (not long ago) it was a fraction of the kids who dressed this way... now it's the majority. It's just part of the SoCal culture these days... an unhealthy part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 36,706 times
Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have boys and not girls... :-) Thanks for your help.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCash View Post
Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have boys and not girls... :-) Thanks for your help.
the boys aren't much better... the whole gangster thing has infected every socio-economic strata. I see these poway G's walking down the street every day.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I went to Doyle and Standley and UCHS.

I don't remember any violence beyond the usual fisticuffs (FIGHT! FIGHT! then the rumble of many boys' feet running to see it before it's broken up).
I did hear rumors when I was in high school about guns at Standley and other increased problems. This was in the mid 90's.

I still fondly remember a couple of my Doyle teachers - Mrs. Parham and Ms. Dickson. Tell them I said 'hi' if they're still there.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input. This is a little overwhelming -- guns in middle school.... Are there other elementary's that feed into Standley besides Doyle where the "bad kids" come from ??-- cuz the kids in the pictures on Doyle's website look so sweet!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCash View Post
Thanks for the input. This is a little overwhelming -- guns in middle school.... Are there other elementary's that feed into Standley besides Doyle where the "bad kids" come from ??-- cuz the kids in the pictures on Doyle's website look so sweet!
There are guns in middle schools all over the country. Don't buy into the "good kid/bad kid" line. Drugs, guns, gangs... they are everywhere. In the wealthier schools you just get wannabees. In the bad schools, you have real problems. If you are looking for some Mayberry-type school experience for your kids you will need to move outside of pretty much every major city in the US. One kid with a gun in his locker doesn't make a "bad school". You need years of problems to get to that.

Personally, I don't know if I want my kid going to any High School in SoCal. Even in the best schools there is a lot of money, drugs, sex, and pressure to live up to the SoCal of being the "cool kid"

Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

Personally, I don't know if I want my kid going to any High School in SoCal. Even in the best schools there is a lot of money, drugs, sex, and pressure to live up to the SoCal of being the "cool kid"

I wouldn't buy into that "hype" either. That is everywhere as well, it's definitely true here in the DFW area.

I am nothing like that stereotype, and I was born and raised in a nice area of San Diego. You are who your parents raise you to be, with a bit of luck thrown in, perhaps.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't know... I grew up outside of D.C. and as far I've heard from friends who stayed behind there isn't violence at that level at the middle school I went to.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM

greatschools.net seems to have decent things to say about Standley.

I did say they were rumors (the guns and whatnot). I never saw anything myself.

Best of luck! I hope you enjoy my home town. I do miss it. UCSD is a great school too!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
greatschools.net seems to have decent things to say about Standley.

I did say they were rumors (the guns and whatnot). I never saw anything myself.

Best of luck! I hope you enjoy my home town. I do miss it. UCSD is a great school too!
I'm sure it is a good school. That is a very affluent area... I mean.. put it in perspective... it's not Gompers or Hoover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego