Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
Fort Lauderdale, FL 11 20.00%
San Diego, CA 44 80.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 AM

210 posts, read 412,343 times

Advertisements

So you come to the San Diego forum and ask people living in San Diego to compare San Diego to some random city... Hummmm. Guess what people are going to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovani View Post
Ft Lauderdale, definitely more international atmosphere, with close proximity to Carribean
From San Diego you can take the trolley to the international border and just walk into Mexico and back during lunch. I can't see how Ft. Lauderdale would beat that.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:13 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
From San Diego you can take the trolley to the international border and just walk into Mexico and back during lunch. I can't see how Ft. Lauderdale would beat that.
That poster has only one post. I think that explains it all right there. The trolls have been swarming the San Diego forum lately for some reason.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
That poster has only one post. I think that explains it all right there. The trolls have been swarming the San Diego forum lately for some reason.
Thanks for spotting that.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You could take a boat down to the Bahamas in no time at all. I honestly would rather spend time in the Bahama's compared to jumping off the trolley and hanging in TJ.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
And I love Tijuana--but you better sign up for a SENTRI pass or add a potential 2 hour wait just to get back across the border for your your generous lunch hour. Without it, you just never know how long it will take (kind of like LA traffic).

Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'll give Ft. Lauderdale the win in the warm ocean water department, and that's it.
So, a few years ago, my company acquired a firm in S.E. Florida, and I spent a few months out there helping them get adjusted, meeting the local clients to let them know our expanded services etc. I recall one meeting with someone who worked for the City of Ft. Lauderdale. She was a recent transplant to Florida, not a good ol' boy by any means. The conversation went something like:

FTL: So, what part of the Country are you from?

Me: Me? I'm from our office in Orange County, California

FTL: Southern California!? I LOVE that place . . . what would bring you all the way here from such a great place?

Me (being polite but also truthful): Oh, I work all over. Besides, I really like Ft. Lauderdale . . .you have a cool main street, a good mix of urban and beach life, great Cuban and West Indian food . . . and your ocean is so warm, I was just out for a swim yesterday -

FTL (interrupts me with a horrified look): Oh NO! Don't go swimming right now . . . haven't you heard of the SEA LICE??!!

http://www.floridahealth.gov/disease...s-eruption.pdf

. . . I had that rash for like 3 weeks. I still like visiting Ft. Lauderdale . . .but I'll check all the advisories before venturing in THAT ocean again!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 PM

112 posts, read 120,197 times
OMG!!! Good to know.

I do like this statement: "Many persons expressed confusion and fear that they had contracted a communicable disease, such as venereal disease, chickenpox, or measles." VD is first? Spring break, woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
So, a few years ago, my company acquired a firm in S.E. Florida, and I spent a few months out there helping them get adjusted, meeting the local clients to let them know our expanded services etc. I recall one meeting with someone who worked for the City of Ft. Lauderdale. She was a recent transplant to Florida, not a good ol' boy by any means. The conversation went something like:

FTL: So, what part of the Country are you from?

Me: Me? I'm from our office in Orange County, California

FTL: Southern California!? I LOVE that place . . . what would bring you all the way here from such a great place?

Me (being polite but also truthful): Oh, I work all over. Besides, I really like Ft. Lauderdale . . .you have a cool main street, a good mix of urban and beach life, great Cuban and West Indian food . . . and your ocean is so warm, I was just out for a swim yesterday -

FTL (interrupts me with a horrified look): Oh NO! Don't go swimming right now . . . haven't you heard of the SEA LICE??!!

http://www.floridahealth.gov/disease...s-eruption.pdf

. . . I had that rash for like 3 weeks. I still like visiting Ft. Lauderdale . . .but I'll check all the advisories before venturing in THAT ocean again!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 PM

90 posts, read 123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
So you come to the San Diego forum and ask people living in San Diego to compare San Diego to some random city... Hummmm. Guess what people are going to pick.
Ha...if you've even been to SD this is an ultimate no-brainer.

And I like South Florida... in January anyway.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,776 times
Hello All,
I'm in South Florida -- a bit south of Fort Lauderdale -- and I'm seriously thinking about leaving for San Diego, which I've visited a number of times. Moved here from the SF-Bay Area several years ago to be closer to family.

There are a number of nice things about living here. Proximity to NYC, the Caribbean, and Latin America, for one. An offshoot of this proximity is reduced ticket prices and flight times to these destinations.
There are also two major international airports at a relatively short distance from one another in this area. (Miami Int'l Airport also serves Europe).

Services, like hair styling, are also less expensive and manned by more competent people. (There are lots of NYC transplants here whom I've found to be more skilled especially in the hair-cutting dept).
Green (non-toxic) cleaning is also a tad less expensive, and a good thing because many people here have serious allergies.

I have also enjoyed the intense green of the plants/trees and the lovely birds and iguanas.
The Caribbean blue of the ocean is without question something to behold.
If you like Latin music --i.e., salsa-- you're in luck. You can also practice your Spanish in South Florida as it is widely spoken on a daily basis, and to a much greater extent than in So-Cal.

I cannot say anything about schools or pet services as I don't have any experience with them.
Ditto for cruises or diving operations.

The less-than-ideal points:

Weather
The humidity + heat combo are difficult for some. I thought I'd get use to the climate (which is the very source of the green I so love), but it has been wreaking havoc with my health. Five months out of the year I consider South Florida unlivable, since living with AC is not a healthy option.

Food
The food in the supermarkets is not as high quality and of a wide variety as that in California.
People are not that into organic either.
But proximity to the Caribbean and Latin America also ensures accessibility to exquisite Latin cuisines. (Incidentally, Latin food is much more than Mexican food, which in the US I consider very bland. The food in Mexico is fresher and of a higher quality).

Recycling
I'd say a whole lot of people here are pretty environmentally-unaware. (I've been told this by a number of residents too).
Miami-Dade County has enforced single-family and multi-family recycling since 2007, but residents are typically oblivious. When I ask realtors or management companies about it they look at me as if I were from a different planet. Canadian snowbirds are by far the most conscientious about recycling. Broward County (where Fort Lauderdale is located) doesn't have this recycling regulation and I've had to be very selective about where I've rented. Went to one of the cities to ask about this state of affairs and they let me know about a weekly Saturday service that allows residents to bring their recyclables to a specified outlet. But this is not widely publicized. In 2012 I also called another Broward city and asked them when in the world they were gonna get their act together and they told me this year, but nothing's happened so far. They offer recycling for single-family homes but not for the towers -- all in all, a disastrous state of affairs for the fauna and flora of this beautiful area.

Consumer Protections:
California offers better consumer protections to residents. Here in South Florida your most personal data is required for everything. But it's hardly secure. What's worse, this state is known for its high incidence of fraud and identity theft.

Also, the HOA setup that many people complain about in the Las Vegas thread is also an issue here. The boards are notoriously dictatorial and come up with ridiculous rules on a yearly basis. (Based on what I've seen, it's perilous to buy here on that front alone). if you're renting, getting your deposit back at the end of the lease is also a problem. I lived at one building where they delayed reimbursing my rental deposit over a month. (Note: this is the deposit you pay the association, which is distinct from the deposit you pay the owner of the apt. It can range from $500 to $1000). Tired of waiting, I went back and retrieved it myself. They also levied a deposit on the garage rental, and after several months, still no sign of it. The people in charge (working for the management company) will not be bothered and there is no way to contact the board. Mind you, moving into these places necessitates 3 months rent per Florida law: first month, last month and security deposit. Add to that the association deposit and you're talking big money.
When you leave, associations also retain all your personal documents but who knows what they do with them.

Population inflows and outflows
With its mild winters, S. FL has a heavy influx of snowbirds -- a non-existent phenomenon in the West. The locals hate it, as traffic turns extremely unwieldy and everything gets crowded, even though local economies also depend on this influx. During the winter months rentals are also extremely pricey. I'm aware that the large California cities have highly speculative real estate markets, but South Florida is right up there with them.

Doctors
Doctors are terrible in South Florida. Let me say it clearly: they stink! I've never seen such incompetent people in my entire life, and I've lived in close to a dozen countries and in several US states. On top of it, they charge an arm and a leg for services that could be easily handled by a nurse practitioner. (Note: my experience here has been that the doctor has to see you even if you ask for a nurse practitioner). To say that healthcare is a big money-making industry here is an understatement. The Bay Area has by far more competent doctors at day clinics that charge reasonable prices. (I'm assuming that San Diego offers a comparable experience).
If you find a good physician in South Florida, hold on to him or her for dear life.

DMV, Tickets, Drivers
Car tags cost about half of what they cost in California, but if you change homes you have to update the FL Dept of Motor Vehicles about your move and pay to get issued a new driver's license with your new address. In Cali, you can designate your mailing address to appear on your driver's license and avoid this expense.

It's well-known that cities throughout the US use traffic violations as big money-makers. One such city nearby has a Tier I mall, which Fort Lauderdale doesn't have, and therefore attracts people from far and wide. Gotta drive extra carefully in those parts or a trip to the mall will yield a nasty surprise.

A 2012 article in the local press noted that S. Fl was voted the area with the worst drivers in the nation. I concur. But what personally gets me is the way people sit at the green light for about 10 seconds before they decide to move. (Yes, I've counted the seconds). I don't know whether it's the heat + humidity combo that affects folks' attention span, as drivers of all ages do it. I've also seen drivers with California license plates loudly honk and pass by with exasperated expressions. More alert Floridian drivers don't like this state of affairs either, least of all when it's hot as heck. So you can imagine the frequency with which people use their horns here. (Not pleasant). Drivers also liberally cut in front of you and stop in places where in California law enforcement would be on top of you before you could say "ugh!" Since S. FL officially has the worst drivers in the nation, and running the red light is common, I wonder how many of them habitually pay the steep fines cities levy to pad their payrolls. (Haven't seen any stats).

Conclusion
I thought living in South Florida would be far less expensive than in California. Although there are a number of advantages, things here and there can also add up. Yet, a great many people from the Northeast, for example, love it here. They wouldn't move for anything in the world. South Florida is also a very international place.
Lots of Russians make their home here along with Latin Americans and folks from the Caribbean. The area also fills up with Canadians (Anglo- and French) as well as British visitors during the winter months. Because this is a culturally hybrid region, museum, concert, and theater offerings reflect this. S.FL regularly hosts first-class entertainment names and even a major and well-attended tennis tournament every year. The area has a reputation as an entertainment mecca because it lies at the intersection of many cultural and social influences.
A Canadian TV station once described it as "the capital of the Americas." This means that South Florida enjoys an image that draws from the exciting and sexy as a youthful, dynamic town continually reinventing itself.
New, expensive towers with the latest amenities are going up in Fort Lauderdale and Sunny Isles as we speak.

Not long ago I came across an advertising section dedicated to South Florida in one of the major national newspapers. It sure sounded like a place I would've wanted to move to in a second. Naturally, there was no mention of all the unseemly things that go on here on a regular basis. What this means, of course, is that South Florida is so shiny that it's exceedingly easy to hype. Some time ago I saw satirist Dave Barry on a local network talking about the crazy things that happen only in Florida. He's based here now although he's originally a Michigonian, a sedate mid-Westerner. Both he and the segment host had a jolly good time chuckling over the "uniqueness" of this part of the country.

There's plenty to enjoy here, for sure. But I personally miss the varied and dramatic landscapes of the West, the weather there, and some of the values I share with people from those parts.

However, I've also seen more and more Cali license plates here recently, and this may be a bellwether. After all, many Californians are leaving for Nevada (Vegas), Texas, and Florida.

Disclaimer:
About the above statements, please keep in mind the following: What is not ideal for me may be for you. What I've written is not designed as a criticism of the area per se, but mirror my opinions about the uneasy fit between it and my tastes and preferences. Indeed, I appreciate a number of things South Florida offers and I will MISS them when I move.
No place is perfect. People have different levels of tolerance toward any number of situations and each individual has to weigh what is most appropriate for his or her circumstances and values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City