Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

^^ Exactly. There is the reality of living in crappy seasonal climates and the romanticism of the memories like you mention.

I think its absolutely worth seeing all the great things there are in different parts of the world. How that translates into everyday life is another thing.

What one sees at one point in life can change at another. Which is why I never say never with San Diego and staying here indefinitely. But right now, I have no itch or need to move or set roots elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM

241 posts, read 429,594 times
Dont forget about potential frostbite. There no fun in that.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
if I'm at home, I wear shorts nearly year-round...

Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
I enjoy being able to wear shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt in February if I want to. I enjoy not having to pay some expensive air condition bill in July. And when you have kids, don't even tell me about the time it takes to get somebody ready in the middle of winter in NY compared to the time it takes to get them ready in a place like San Diego. And anybody that has had young kids knows it takes forever to begin with without all those extra factors.

People get colds and get sick and there are a lot of issues in San Diego, but I don't miss having my nose red, sniffles, my hands frozen, my car having snow fall into it, ice rain, frost bite, and the reality is there are far more overweight people. I can get out and run or hike or go to the beach and enjoy the scenery anytime of the year here. In NJ going for a dip on New Years is called the Polar Bear ice club and people think your nuts just to be on the beach.

I took my son and ex to the east coast last year. First time ever either of them really faced cold weather or saw snow. My son was in shock and didn't like it. My Ex thought it was cool from her hotel, and then couldn't comprehend how awful it was when she went outside. It's the aspect of it's not just cold weather, it's wind chill, it's this, it's that, and it hurts. It's not like you go outside and you feel a little chilly. It's you walk outside in the winter and your ears start to feel pain, your fingers start to freeze up, your toes are cold, your jackets and overcoats never seem warm enough. It's cold enough to hurt as they say. Whereas in a place like San Diego, it might be a little chilly, but you don't walk outside in Jan fearing your ears might fall off or your nose can't stop dripping or you are amazed by the frost.

And I guess I was lucky. I've worked with people from North Dakota who said there were winters where it never got to 0. It was below 0 for like 2 months. I spent a few moments in Minnesota for a client once, even walking through the airport seemed cold.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
If you like seasons, you are in luck- it's generally much cheaper to live in such areas! I take no offense when people don't like San Diego. I don't understand it, but I'm not offended by it.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
As a native of SD, I love the beautiful sunny weather but I wish we got just a bit more rain than we do. It decreases the fire threats too. The OP wants warmer water. Remember warmer water means hurricanes which thankfully never happen here.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 21,279 times
Quote:
I took my son and ex to the east coast last year. First time ever either of them really faced cold weather or saw snow. My son was in shock and didn't like it. My Ex thought it was cool from her hotel, and then couldn't comprehend how awful it was when she went outside.
Since someone else questioned my position before, no one sees how these dozens of similar comments could come off as elitist?

Hundreds of millions of people on this earth (more likely BILLIONS), live in a place where they have to deal with cold weather. Your son and ex are extremely sheltered and naive to the struggle and reality that the average human being endures. I would dare say 90% of the world lives in a place that receives extreme cold or heat in a typical year based on your San Diego weather scale.

You are all elitists because you come from a point of view where you can't comprehend how anyone lives like that. I know this from experience because whenever I told someone in San Diego that I was from NY they seriously repeated those types of reactions back to me. "OMG, how did you do that? Its so COLD and its snows! EW"

Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears23 View Post
Since someone else questioned my position before, no one sees how these dozens of similar comments could come off as elitist? ... "
"Elitist"? About the weather, ffs?!?!?

Do you see how reactions like yours could come off as jealous of the weather?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 21,279 times
Quote:
Do you see how reactions like yours could come off as jealous of the weather?
No because I lived in San Diego for 2 years and was not impressed by the weather. I actually disliked it so TAKE THAT BAM!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears23 View Post
No because I lived in San Diego for 2 years and was not impressed by the weather. I actually disliked it so TAKE THAT BAM!
Nice double standard. You didn't like it and somehow think we are elitists because we do and choose to.
Out of curiosity why did you leave and where did you go? Surely it wasn't just the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego