Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times

Advertisements

The marine layer just goes right up the valley. I see it from my backyard just like you do.

On a different note I think the fog would make PQ Valley a great place to put a winery if wasn't a protected open space. You'd get mild temperatures along with the cool effects of the morning fog. Of course, knowing how developers own the politicians in this town the valley would have been turned into track homes by now if locals in Mira Mesa hadn't worked so hard to force politicians to turn it into a protected open space in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM

31 posts, read 89,343 times
Thanks for all the answers!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:42 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
I live all the way in Lakeside and those morning clouds come out this far sometimes especially in April, May, and June, but they usually burn off by 8 or 9 AM when they do and its definitely not every day. But, as a matter of fact, it was cloudy yesterday morning and this morning as well. Its about 1 PM and its cloudy and overcast here at my Mission Valley office but the wife just reported that the morning clouds burnt off at our home around noon and now its sunny out there.

Cool/warm sunny days out here mean its cloudy and brisk by the coast. When its HOT and sunny out here means the suns out in La Jolla and downtown and its nice and warm.

So escaping the gloom is only possible if you live on the other side of the mountains, try Ocotillo Wells.

Last edited by malcorub16; 09-20-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 89,343 times
Yesterday we drove up to Escondido/San Marcos area and it was sunny and warm. We headed to Mira Mesa around 5pm and as we approached I saw this big bank of clouds. By the time we were in Mira Mesa it was cloudy and cool. Is this normal? The whole point of living in San Diego is the warm, sunny weather for me, and I don't want to live in a cooler, cloudier area if I could live in a sunnier, warmer one. Are Mira Mesa temperatures closer to San Diego averages (which I assume are taken from the airport)? I would assume they are warmer because it's further East, but how much warmer? Is it fairly cloudy?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM

358 posts, read 584,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky132 View Post
Yesterday we drove up to Escondido/San Marcos area and it was sunny and warm. We headed to Mira Mesa around 5pm and as we approached I saw this big bank of clouds. By the time we were in Mira Mesa it was cloudy and cool. Is this normal? The whole point of living in San Diego is the warm, sunny weather for me, and I don't want to live in a cooler, cloudier area if I could live in a sunnier, warmer one. Are Mira Mesa temperatures closer to San Diego averages (which I assume are taken from the airport)? I would assume they are warmer because it's further East, but how much warmer? Is it fairly cloudy?
West Mira Mesa is about 5 degrees hotter that the airport. east Mira Mesa is another 3-5 degrees hotter. As for cloudiness, it's less over cast than the airport but more over cast than places East of the 15.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,866 times
Smile Marine Layer in Mira Mesa

Short answer: Yep. Just not as often as points west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky132 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just moved to San Diego and I like it SUNNY (and hot), and really hate cloud/gloom! I am looking for houses, and I am really wanting to avoid June Gloom and the marine layer as much as possible. Can someone please tell me how far inland you have to go to mostly avoid it? Is Mira Mesa far enough inland (including the West side)?

I already read one post on this, but it didn't really answer the question, or if Mira Mesa is okay. I want to be fairly close to UCSD, but don't want to deal with June Gloom, so am wondering how far inland I have to go.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego