Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM

135 posts, read 296,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
^probably not. Saw it in Portland this summer. I think I got slammed on here once talking about grown men riding skateboards. Hey to each their own, but I admit I would not be thrilled to date a 39 year old man with 3 skateboards. LOL
I certainly won't slam you for saying it. I can understand wanting to do it for environmental reasons, but I would think you would just ride a bike. I remember people riding their skateboard to school back in junior high. Then all of a sudden in the last 7 years, i have seen a resurgence of the skateboard - among men old enough to have a kid in jr high. As a woman, it is not appealing or adult to see this. Sort of like a guy who asks you out on date and then asks you to be his mommy and pick him up so he doesn't have to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM

My top 5 not to move:

1)You expect "situation-appropriate" style of dress - e.g. not showing up for a first dinner date in flip flops in winter.
2) Stoner/surfer/hangout at the beach all day long and damage your skin culture gets old.
3) You are creative and/or appreciate the arts, symphonies, dancing, and meeting other people who enjoy these actives.
3) You prefer not to almost get run over by unruly monster trucks speeding though mall parking lots.
4) You enjoy critical thinkers or intellectual fodder.
5) You care about the environment, natural health, green living, and prefer not being criticized for it.

5 reason to move:

1) great shopping, free parking at malls
2) relatively safe for a major city, with cute neighborhoods
3) extremely easy to get around
4) Balboa Park
5) you are married with kids and like child-friendly events.

There are more pros than cons, but the cons can be important, depending upon if you are married, single, in college, have a social network already in place, etc..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,344,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
....As a woman, it is not appealing or adult to see this. Sort of like a guy who asks you out on date and then asks you to be his mommy and pick him up so he doesn't have to drive.
Heck If I said you were angry in another thread, I should have added, I DON'T blame you, girl! Being a designated driver on a first date, that's f'd up

Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Heck If I said you were angry in another thread, I should have added, I DON'T blame you, girl! Being a designated driver on a first date, that's f'd up
Oh, That was you? lol. I'm not angry at all, just a straight shooter.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,759,249 times
Quote:
My top 5 not to move:

1)You expect "situation-appropriate" style of dress - e.g. not showing up for a first dinner date in flip flops in winter.
2) Stoner/surfer/hangout at the beach all day long and damage your skin culture gets old.
3) You are creative and/or appreciate the arts, symphonies, dancing, and meeting other people who enjoy these actives.
3) You prefer not to almost get run over by unruly monster trucks speeding though mall parking lots.
4) You enjoy critical thinkers or intellectual fodder.
5) You care about the environment, natural health, green living, and prefer not being criticized for it.

5 reason to move:

1) great shopping, free parking at malls
2) relatively safe for a major city, with cute neighborhoods
3) extremely easy to get around
4) Balboa Park
5) you are married with kids and like child-friendly events.

There are more pros than cons, but the cons can be important, depending upon if you are married, single, in college, have a social network already in place, etc..
Did you live in the bubble of the beach neighborhoods? Your reasons not to move here only applies to youth-oriented OB, PB and MB.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Did you live in the bubble of the beach neighborhoods? Your reasons not to move here only applies to youth-oriented OB, PB and MB.
No bubble, I lived in Hillcrest and Mission Valley. No, I'd say that applied to late 20's and 30 somethings, generally speaking. I didn't hang out with college kids. There were men in their 40's who lived in PB. I didn't spend time there. I recall meeting many men who lived in PB who asked me out on dates but told me I had to come out to them because they "didn't leave the area." These were 30 somethings.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
No bubble, I lived in Hillcrest and Mission Valley. No, I'd say that applied to late 20's and 30 somethings, generally speaking. I didn't hang out with college kids. There were men in their 40's who lived in PB. I didn't spend time there. I recall meeting many men who lived in PB who asked me out on dates but told me I had to come out to them because they "didn't leave the area." These were 30 somethings.
I'm sorry but I was in my late 20's when I lived in Hillcrest and have never almost been run over by a monster truck in a parking lot, nor do I have damaged skin. Those are beach area traits. And if you claim to have met so many men who lived in PB, then what do you expect other than what you experienced in your numbered list?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm sorry but I was in my late 20's when I lived in Hillcrest and have never almost been run over by a monster truck in a parking lot, nor do I have damaged skin. Those are beach area traits. And if you claim to have met so many men who lived in PB, then what do you expect other than what you experienced in your numbered list?
A lot of people who live in SD, whom you would meet out and about, live in PB. There are a lot more large trucks in SD than in other cities, possibly due to the military men. The mall parking lot was not in Hillcrest - there is no mall there. Obviously, unlike the men in PB, I do leave "my area." I never hung out in PB, and that was my experience in the people I met there, by and large. Of course it doesn't mean everyone, I didn't meet everyone. Perhaps it has changed, but I did not meet many people who were interested in the arts or more cosmopolitan endeavors, the culture seemed to me to focus around the beach and the sporting events. I did have dates with men who did not live in PB, who showed up in flip flops.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
A lot of people who live in SD, whom you would meet out and about, live in PB. There are a lot more large trucks in SD than in other cities, possibly due to the military men. The mall parking lot was not in Hillcrest - there is no mall there. Obviously, unlike the men in PB, I do leave "my area." I never hung out in PB, and that was my experience in the people I met there, by and large. Of course it doesn't mean everyone, I didn't meet everyone. Perhaps it has changed, but I did not meet many people who were interested in the arts or more cosmopolitan endeavors, the culture seemed to me to focus around the beach and the sporting events. I did have dates with men who did not live in PB, who showed up in flip flops.
When did you live in SD? It sounds like it was in mid 90's.

Lots of big trucks? I'm guessing you've never been to the South? These days, the only people who have big trucks are gardeners and building contractors, but you'll still see them occasionally in East County, the beach areas and Oceanside (Military). It's more about Priuses now. As a matter of fact, San Diegans rank near the bottom when it comes to owning American gas guzzlers:

The Car Snob Index: Why America's Richest Cities Don't Buy American Cars - Rohin Dhar - Business - The Atlantic

You really need to quite bringing PB up and thinking all of SD is like that. Downtown has 30,000 residents now and there are plenty of singles there who aren't wearing flip flop everyday, partying till the wee hours and working on their tans. And I'm sure the single guys in Del Mar, Solana Beach, Carlsbad /Encinitas all have jobs.

Did you ever think the type of guy that you were interested in, might not have been interested in you? It works both ways here.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
This thread is ancient. Five reasons:

1) Expensive and not worth it
2) Shallow, materialistic people - it proclaims itself "America's Finest City" - if that isn't full of shyte enough for you
3) Lack of culture, unless Old Town and the trolley to Tijuana cut it for you
4) It's at an "end" - from LA, the 2-hour driving radius offers phenomenal opportunities, from San Diego, these options are constrained by Mexico
5) It's really not THAT beautiful...sure, you have the curve of the bay, Coronado, Point Loma and La Jolla...but it's pretty vapid until you get to Julian and the mountains to the east.

I can't believe that, when I was a teenager in LA, I thought San Diego was the greatest city in America. It made for a great road-trip when you're 16 and were mastering the freeways. I grew up and know differently now.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-06-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego