Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,292 times

Advertisements

I have been dying to visit this beautiful city for so long,

I plan on doing my research on what to do.. My interests are food, localc culture, outdoors tuff, BEACHES !! Legally smoking pot , and just doing what the locals do here.

Any must see's ????

I was also thinking of renting a car and driving to LA for a day or 2. I also wanted to go to the mexico ( not a priority) if i have time.

.... I will probably be there for 2 weeks.. Enough time ???

Thanksf or any and all suggestions !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Since you'll possibly have a car, here's something you won't find anywhere else: Welcome To Galleta Meadows Estate

You'll almost certainly have time to go into Mexico, even if just for an afternoon. Bring your passport! Tijuana is OK, but we prefer Tecate, which is a smaller town and less evidently a border town. If you do go into Mexico, park your car north of the border and walk in - that way you don't need to bother with Mexican insurance or Mexican car traffic.

Legally smoking pot? Not in San Diego. The people of California have voted to make it legal, but the powers-that-be in San Diego have chosen to ignore the will of the people and still consider it illegal.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Torrey Pines State Park - both beach and go to top
Cabrillo National Monument
Mexico works provided your auto insurance and passport in order. Baja has a hot food scene.
Bull Taco in Encinitas for generally good but sometimes hit-n-miss tacos and never hit-n-miss view.
Craft beer scene.
Balboa Park
Joshua Tree would eat up 3 or so days but worth it.
Skip LA, respectfully

Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I was also thinking of renting a car and driving to LA for a day or 2. I also wanted to go to the mexico ( not a priority) if i have time.
If you do go to LA for the day I would do a TV show, Conan, Leno, Price is Right....etc. The Conan OBrien show is always fun and your in and out of there in 2 and a half hours. Lets out at 5PM right in time for dinner.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Coronado, Balboa Park, Swami's Garden (and surrounding Encinitas), one of the big breweries (Green Flash, Stone, Ballast Point), Palomar Mountain

Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
...Mexico works provided your auto insurance and passport in order. ...
U.S. auto insurance is not accepted in Mexico, no matter what your insurance provider says. If you drive into Mexico, buy a short-term Mexican insurance policy. You can buy it just before any border crossing, I believe.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Palomar nice but not worth first trip.
Also La Jolla Cove with seal and sea lions, and La Jolla Shores - walk north 1/2mile to tidal pooling area

Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 AM

This might be a good way to go into Mexico: Turista Libre— Rad Tijuana Tours!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:04 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Hangout with the locals at:

University & 5th Avenues (Hillcrest)
University & 30th St (North Park)
30th & Juniper (South Park)
Adams & 33rd St (Normal Heights)
Park & Adams (University Heights)

Walk around and choose a restaurant, bar, taco stand, or food truck (Tuesdays - Normal Heights). At about Adams & 35th (north side of the road) is my preferred Cambodian owned donut shop, Golden Donut, because given your comments in your original post, you never know when the munchies may hit you.

But if you are from NYC, please understand that you are going from a City 8.5m to 1.3m. The food situation isn't quite comparable.

I second the recommendation for Cabrillo National Monument. Great views of the City and the boats in the bay. Have a jacket handy, bring a meal, a towel to sit on, and enjoy the views. Go there early in your trip. The $5 pass is good for a week, so if you really enjoy it, you can go back for free. While you're on Point Loma visiting Cabrillo, finish up by hitting Sunset Cliffs and climb down to the ocean (only where you see other people doing it).

Speaking of, there is always Blacks Beach for the nude sun bathers, but don't go there with your hopes up. Once you see what's naked, your hopes will wilt pretty quickly.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
The beaches are going to be cold as it is currently December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego