Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times

Advertisements

Now I own a home in the western part of Mira Mesa & grew up in Mira Mesa, I now live in what some people wrongly call "Sorrento Mesa" in an attempt to disassociate themselves from the rest of Mira Mesa, and I can understand why the white population in western Mira Mesa might not to associate themselves with the more working class (and less white) older eastern part of Mira Mesa. That said, these people are fools, they are upset because the city put up signs designating western Mira Mesa as part of Mira Mesa and they want the signs removed. Ever since Mira Mesa Blvd was extended to I805 in 1984 the city has designated all Mira Mesa as being all land east of I805, west of I15, south of PQ canyon, and north of Miramar Rd.

That people would move to Mira Mesa and then get mad that their neighborhood was, factually correctly, labeled Mira Mesa by the city just causes me to laugh. Talk about stuck up fools. I personally have had fun correcting my stuck up neighbor when he wrongly claims we don't live in Mira Mesa and attempts to claim we live in "Sorrento Mesa" as there is no such place according to the city. Let's call this what it is, racism; some stuck up white folks (and I'm white myself but don't share their stupid views) don't want to be associated with the mostly Asian eastern half of Mira Mesa. Tough, you knew what the name of the area was when you moved here so no trying to play nose in the air games pretending you're better than other people.

Link to the news article of white folks getting upset that the city, rightly, put up signs saying they live in Mira Mesa: Mira Mesa Signs Spark Sorrento Valley Turf War | NBC 7 San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Now I own a home in the western part of Mira Mesa & grew up in Mira Mesa, I now live in what some people wrongly call "Sorrento Mesa" in an attempt to disassociate themselves from the rest of Mira Mesa, and I can understand why the white population in western Mira Mesa might not to associate themselves with the more working class (and less white) older eastern part of Mira Mesa. That said, these people are fools, they are upset because the city put up signs designating western Mira Mesa as part of Mira Mesa and they want the signs removed. Ever since Mira Mesa Blvd was extended to I805 in 1984 the city has designated all Mira Mesa as being all land east of I805, west of I15, south of PQ canyon, and north of Miramar Rd.

That people would move to Mira Mesa and then get mad that their neighborhood was, factually correctly, labeled Mira Mesa by the city just causes me to laugh. Talk about stuck up fools. I personally have had fun correcting my stuck up neighbor when he wrongly claims we don't live in Mira Mesa and attempts to claim we live in "Sorrento Mesa" as there is no such place according to the city. Let's call this what it is, racism; some stuck up white folks (and I'm white myself but don't share their stupid views) don't want to be associated with the mostly Asian eastern half of Mira Mesa. Tough, you knew what the name of the area was when you moved here so no trying to play nose in the air games pretending you're better than other people.

Link to the news article of white folks getting upset that the city, rightly, put up signs saying they live in Mira Mesa: Mira Mesa Signs Spark Sorrento Valley Turf War | NBC 7 San Diego
I have been living in San Diego all my life.Neighborhood Classism Has been around the entire time i've been here.
Sometimes it's low self esteem,sometimes it's neighborhood pride.At the end of the day those people are all smoking something.
Sorrento Mesa ROFL!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Is it Sorrento Valley or Sorrento Mesa? There has always been a sign that says "Welcome to Mira Mesa" in stone on Mira Mesa Blvd once you get off of the 805.

As far as I know, Karl Strauss Brewery is located in the Mira Mesa area.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,218 times
I don't think of Sorrento Mesa as a 'neighborhood'. I think of it as a tech center. I've worked there in the past for many years and have always thought of it like that.

Sorry, Mira Mesa is not a tech center. It is a neighborhood. They are night and day different than the shiny buildings just east of I-5/805.

The only connections between Mira Mesa and Sorrento Mesa are the restaurants (some) and the traffic.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Is it Sorrento Valley or Sorrento Mesa? There has always been a sign that says "Welcome to Mira Mesa" in stone on Mira Mesa Blvd once you get off of the 805.

As far as I know, Karl Strauss Brewery is located in the Mira Mesa area.
The signs were located off Calle Cristobal (the street I live off of) at both the east and west ends of the street. Yes, the city says that is Mira Mesa so the signs are indeed correct. The really funny part of the video was when it showed people standing at the park at camino ruiz & calle cristobal where they claimed that was Sorrento Valley when it is a good five miles from Sorrento Valley and has been Mira Mesa at least since my parents bought a home with in blocks of there way back in 1980.

Hell, that location is east of most of Mira Mesa so this really is people just trying to change the label in hopes that stupid people would think they live some where they don't.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
I don't think of Sorrento Mesa as a 'neighborhood'. I think of it as a tech center. I've worked there in the past for many years and have always thought of it like that.

Sorry, Mira Mesa is not a tech center. It is a neighborhood. They are night and day different than the shiny buildings just east of I-5/805.

The only connections between Mira Mesa and Sorrento Mesa are the restaurants (some) and the traffic.
And the city designation calling it the same neighborhood. Oh, and the fact that there are tens of thousands of people living in homes there so it is a neighborhood. Oh, and that the main road there is called "Mira Mesa Blvd". Oh, and that it has ALWAYS, since the day it was developed, been part of Mira Mesa. Oh, and they have the same zip code. Oh, and all the kids go to the same schools. Oh, and they have the same community council under the city. Oh, and the Mira Mesa signs have been sitting just east of I805 since the area was originally built back in ~1984. (I can go on and on...)

Yeah, except for all that, I guess, they're not the same.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,677 times
The people protesting on the news last night were not using the name Sorrento Mesa. They were using the name Sorrento Valley which is a recognized neighborhood of San Diego. One description of the boundaries of Sorrento Valley is I-5 to the West, Los Penasquitos Canyon to the North, Camino Santa Fe to the East and Miramar Road to the South. That said, a map of Sorrento Valley shows it 805 as the Western boundary of Sorrento Valley once the 5 splits off from the 805.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
This is hilarious. But I've seen the same thing in many other cities that I've owned properties.

I see it in my hood as well. People try to call where they live "Santaluz". And even realtors when we were looking were trying to call places like Santa Monica or Verrazzano as "Santaluz". Then they would give the distinction of "behind the gates vs. not behind the gates".

I think it's all kind of funny and doesn't really matter. I do think some people here in San Diego get WAY too caught up in zip codes and living in the right zip code. Oh well.... I see the same thing in other cities I own properties.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 PM

358 posts, read 584,302 times
hmm... lets see, your house was approved by Mira Mesa Community Planning Group. Your neighborhood is serviced by Calle Cristobal Landscape Maintenance Assessment District and Mira Mesa Landscape
Maintenance Assessment District, which are both part of Mira Mesa. Your kids goes to schools in Mira Mesa. But yeah, you're not part of Mira Mesa. It's Sorrento Valley damn it... :-). Here are some more info about this topic: http://miramesatowncouncil.org/doc/P...%20October.pdf

Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Think4yourself, I get what you are saying, but I don't think it's necessarily racism or that they don't like Asians, I think its more "classicism" if anything. These same "white people" in "Sorrento whatever they think it is" would be against living against many of the "white people" that live around this Mexican boy's (me) home in Lakeside .

ER has stated he has lived in many places around the world, he can probably attest to "classism" in different part of the world, I know I have seen plenty of it South of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego