Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 19,190 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to San Diego in June. I'll be living on a $28,000 gross salary (such is the life of a veterinary intern) and will probably be coming and going late at night from work. I found a great dog-friendly apartment in El Cajon at 148 Taft Ave... I'm getting mixed messages on whether this area is safe for a single female (or two) to live. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Not a great area.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Um not really
It is in borderline from a rough area to a safe area

Old 04-20-2007, 05:54 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodocgirl View Post
I'm moving to San Diego in June. I'll be living on a $28,000 gross salary (such is the life of a veterinary intern) and will probably be coming and going late at night from work. I found a great dog-friendly apartment in El Cajon at 148 Taft Ave... I'm getting mixed messages on whether this area is safe for a single female (or two) to live. Any input would be appreciated!
Not good. There are better areas of El Cajon for sure. Look for something in the Fletcher Hills area......or better yet...the neighboring city of La Mesa.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 136,881 times
Default I agree

I live in El Cajon with my two teen sons. We recently moved here from the east coast. I find it to be generally a nice neighborhood,but the atmosphere is ruined by the many homeless people around. I don't feel too comfortable going outside. I don't have a car,so I have to walk to places and it gives me the creeps a lot of times,like I really have to be on my guard. For the most part,the homeless people are harmless,but many of them have mental problems,so that makes them unpredictable. It is a random type thing,you never know who's going to do what.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
I lived in El Cajon for 2 years. There is definantly a strong criminal culture, all the teenagers are trying to be gangsters and bad asses. There's a very competetive, aggressive and rowdy vibe to that town.

Overall I did actually like it, it was fun and interesting. Folks out there can be crazy, rude and ego-maniacal, but there's actually a good diversity and culture there. The pace is fast though, it just wasn't very peaceful.

However, if you mind your own business you can walk around all over an it's safe. I would recomend you stay out of the middle of town. Most of the better areas or one the edges of the city borders, the inner El Cajon valley is where there are more gangs, fights, thefts, etc.

I grew up near Oakland Cali though, so to me a "bad neighborhood" has gotta be pretty bad to qualify.

In El Cajon, get use to seeing lots of lifted trucks blasting rap music and youngsters who think they own the city.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 AM

55 posts, read 281,584 times
As the above poster mentioned, look in La Mesa as it is a much better area.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,437 times
El cajon is a stink hole.
Id never ever even consider living there.
Too many tweekers for my taste.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 63,486 times
I honestly heard El Cajon is not that bad. My friend lives there, and of course, she said there are bad parts to every city and area, but that El Cajon wasn't too "ghetto."

The manager of my future apartment complex swears that they're in a nice area, as they are in the "outskirts" of El Cajon, near Santee.

Needless to say, I hope it turns out to be true!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM

18 posts, read 202,647 times
El Cajon isn't the best, but don't fear for your safety, it's nothing like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego