Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

Have you tried WalMart/Target? I wouldn't sent them an app, I would go to the store and talk to the manager. I see help wanted signs at other coffee shops quite frequently. Also, I would try at the nursing homes/assisted living places...they look for young men who can lift the patients, drive the shuttles, etc. Since you do have a degree, you might also try the hospitals too. I was surprised you are 28, I thought you were much younger. I wouldn't recommend going to culinary school here, it's a total rip off (a friend of mine paid a fortune and couldn't get placed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Walmart and Target only accept online applications. Talking to a store manager has no effect on hiring, because all applications are screened through HR, and it depends on the needs of particular stores.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
thanks for the correction! I know pretty much every employer only take on line apps now.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM

63 posts, read 141,629 times
I'm kinda taken aback by some of the harsh comments here. Kudos to the OP for his civilized responses.

Living in a car, while not ideal, is not that uncommon. Even people with excellent income find themselves in that situation. Many Google employees, facing outrageous rent, choose to live in their car to save up for a home. The major difference is that they pretty much live (eat, gym, shower, and so on) at Google and they park their cars at Google lot so it's safer and more convenience for them. So for the OP, the primary concern is to find some way to do the same.

I agree that a gym would offers a good place to shower at reasonable cost. I go to the UTC 24-hour Fitness and they offer free towels, nice shower, even a sauna and a steam room for about $40/month.

As for a safe place to park the car for the night, I've heard that Ocean Beach is more "friendly" toward the homeless population and the homeless feels "at home" there so maybe the OP can check that out.

And for the work suggestion, I agree that hospital work is something worth looking into. It helps that the OP volunteer at a hospital.

I'm one of the people with high paying job and yet find myself miserable dealing with horrible coworkers and office politics. I've been trying to find a way out but hesitated because I always want to be ultra safe. Therefore, I admire the OP's courage for following his heart/dream.

Hope you stay safe, get good luck, and stay focus on your dream.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
You might be able to afford mobile home parks. As for the job look into the trades. You get paid while you train for plumbing or electrical. After a year you can make 100, 000 no problem. You'll feel good working physically. Look up train while you work plumbing, electric, trades. Contact a union.
Put your story on Craigslist and forums and someone might give you a place to crash. Good luck to you!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Walmart and Target only accept online applications. Talking to a store manager has no effect on hiring, because all applications are screened through HR, and it depends on the needs of particular stores.

That's correct and IMHO I think it's pretty unfortunate that the days of chatting with a store mgr about a job opportunity are over (at least with large retailers). Your value as a viable employee is solely based on what's on your resume / application and you're "judged" by some HR hack who will never even meet you. It makes it really difficult for someone without a lot of work experience to even get their foot in the door for a basic interview. I used to manage an electronics chain in the early 2000s and I really enjoyed speaking with walk-in applicants. Even if they had little experience, a great personality and an upbeat attitude would typically get them hired (as I did all the hiring). Job fairs are ideal because it at least provides a hopeful with an opportunity to meet face to face with a company representative.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 21,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten19 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Socalpitgal- did some additional research- is this what you were referring to? Safe ParkingDreams for Change | Dreams for Change Seems like a viable option.

Moved- great suggestion about the guard card, I will definitely take a look into that!

1Angry- I should have been a bit more clear. I was renting a room in an apartment, but even that is something I can't afford at the moment. I'm also at this point where I don't want to take a job just for the money; I've been there, and I've been miserable. Sounds really crazy, but I would rather struggle and live in my car with a low paying job that I like, than work in another high paying job I hate. I'm relatively young (28) and I need to make a change- I know it won't come easy. I appreciate your input!

I was homeless for two years, living in an old, messed up RV. It was a nightmare - police banging on your windows in the middle of the night, few places to dump your black water, etc. San Diego is REALLY cracking down on parked RVs. Before the RV, I lived in my car, which was worse.

If I can speak freely without offending you - your attitude about work (a bit elitist) is your downfall. Between San Francisco, San Diego is VERY EXPENSIVE and intolerant.

I'd get with a temp agency asap, struggle living in your car, and get a job - ANY JOB. In San Diego, you are blessed to have one.

Changing your attitude will change your situation. THINK POSITIVE - be grateful for what you DO have, and stop focusing on what you don't.

God Bless and good luck.

PS- I was born and raised here and have watched it go into the toilet - I cannot wait until I move.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 AM

18 posts, read 21,983 times
Quote:
You're right, Mach- I am definitely a poor young dreamer. However, I enjoy being this way, even though it's hard. I would hate to see the day I completely give up on my dreams. And who's to say I failed? I'm only going to fail if I follow your advice and give up.

Your job doesn't make you happy and fulfilled - YOU ARE IN CHARGE of that. You don't say what your "dreams" are, but you never get to start at the top. Man up and take what you can get - then, set up your plans to get where you want to be. And it may (most likely) not be in San Diego.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Success at living in a car depends on the car. Ive been doing it for 8 months now in a small japanese suv. Remove the back seat bottom fold down the seat back you get about 4x6' open floor space. Tint the windows use a car clothes rod for curtains behind the front seats. Take double thick cardboard paint it black use velcro to makeblackout panels for inside the windows.
Youll need ventilation. This must run whenever youre in the car so you need a second battery or a battery saver for your primary battery.
I have a second battery with an isolator running an exhaust blower and two fans. I also have a 12v freezer a smalll microwave and a flat screen tv that flips down from the ceiling. All my belongings are in a storage locker with drive up access. About every other day I visit it for an hour or so to exchange dirty for clean clothes etc. I do not loiter there even tho I may want to.
Basically made a micro rv out of it. The right side of the vehicle has my sleeping pad and I can fully stretch out. The left has my storage and appliances. You have to be clean and well organized as once its dark and youre parked anywhere you cant be shining lights looking for anything.
Which leads to the issue of where you can safely park. In short, nowhere. Do not park on a block with only single family homes. They know who belongs. Do not seek solitude on a quiet dark street. Youll stick out. Do not seek areas (someone mentioned ob) where they are homeless friendly. You will get caught up in sweeps and you will find yourself getting caught up in the BS of people much crazier or dumber than you as friendly as they may be. Do try to hide in plain sight around busy apartment complexes but without security guards. Dont get out of your vehicle dont litter dont even think abouf relieving yourself outside. Never park in the same spot two nights in a row. Park late leave early. You are invisible so no one should care you exist near them.
San Diego has good restroom facilities near the beaches. In the winter a shower is even viable in a few hour time frame at the older style bathrooms around the bay. Remember if iits warm in the day it was cold at night and water temp varies accordingly.
If you just need the restroom the boat launch ramp they built over the toxic waste dump near sea world is the best. Fanuel st park near sail bay is similar snd open all night but the neighborhood has a lot of the entitled class yuppies so if you dont look the part you may feel uncomfortable.
This may be the ultimate point. If you look like you live in your car this is not the city for it and why i wouldnt want to do this in a van or rv. I can park anywhere and it looks like any car on the street. Nobody thinks twice of it.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Thanks for the post, Love. But yes, I am willing to do whatever it takes. Again, as I mentioned before, I've tried keeping desk jobs and current positions while making the transition, but it hasn't worked in the past. That is why I'm doing what I'm doing. And just because millions of people are doing something, doesn't mean I should too.

Sorry to say it, but I will not be taking your advice to "be more realistic and less philosophical and idealistic." Though being idealistic and philosophical presents many obstacles, I'm the happiest I've ever been.

As for employers, I'm using a friend's address for now. I definitely agree that a PO Box would be a giant red flag!
Virtually all post offices and all private mail boxes offer a street address followed by a unit number. They do that so they dont lose business. I rented a po box on midway for $56 for a year. Note you will need to prove a physical address still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego