Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 37,774 times

Advertisements

We've been happily renting in Carmel Mountain Ranch for close to a year and now wish to downsize due to retirement. We are looking for a single family home, in this area if possible. Credit is excellent, financially solvent, no issues of that type. What we do have is a dog, a young golden and apparently lots of people won't rent to dog owners. Any suggestions?

We would also like recommendations on good rental managers and companies to avoid so we won't lease a place and then be ignored if repairs, etc. are needed. As a point of interest, we own and lease out a home in northern California, using a rental manager, and we allow pets. No problems.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 03:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,546,707 times
How odd, I posted literally a minute after you asking whats up with SD and not allowing pets. Im looking all over Mission Valley and Pacific Beach with not much luck on dog friendly renters either. Seems quite ridiculous to me.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
How odd, I posted literally a minute after you asking whats up with SD and not allowing pets. Im looking all over Mission Valley and Pacific Beach with not much luck on dog friendly renters either. Seems quite ridiculous to me.
And you are getting a heck more replies than I am! Good luck to us both!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:41 AM

We continue to search for a rental house where dogs are accepted and are getting absolutely nowhere. We almost had a unit the other day, a pretty townhouse condo. The owners liked us and we liked them. We filled out the papers but just before submitting them received word that the HOA wouldn't accept dogs over 35 pounds! In other words, a seriously overweight beagle is fine and dandy, just not our svelte 65 lb golden retriever.

Meanwhile, a nice looking nearby house has been on the rental market for close to a month. We haven't viewed it because of the no pets clause but it would probably fit our needs very well. I wrote a note to the owners, friendly, short, and received no reply.

Am close to tearing my hair out. Suggestions? We are the so-called "dream tenants" otherwise!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,174,178 times
I have an acquaintance who experienced this very predicament in North San Diego county. They are dream tenants too, albeit prospective tenants with dogs, with a combined income well over 200K per anum. In any case, they were consistently rejected from all rentals and had to settle for an undesirable city in inland North County albeit in a somewhat acceptable portion of that city, and not in the Encinitas or Carlsbad beach areas they wanted.

I love beagles and retrievers. But if I had to chose between high income tenants with no dogs, and those with dogs, I would likely chose the ones with no pets. The reasons include pet smells, destruction of the fence in back and/or digging, poop in the backyard, scratching/jumping on the expensive cabinets and doors, urinating or vomiting inside (even if rare), etc. These are realities of pet ownership.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,864,401 times
You might have to go out to east county, which you probably don't want to do. Buying a home is the best answer.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

LuvSouthOC: All of what you said is true but isn't it equally true that this is the cost of doing business and is why we expect and willingly pay the pet deposit? This is our second rental and we've never vacated a place in less than pristine condition and in fact have done certain little things to improve each one.

Loveautumn: We have no intention of buying a house at this time.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,174,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamR View Post
Thank you both for your replies.

LuvSouthOC: All of what you said is true but isn't it equally true that this is the cost of doing business and is why we expect and willingly pay the pet deposit? This is our second rental and we've never vacated a place in less than pristine condition and in fact have done certain little things to improve each one.

Loveautumn: We have no intention of buying a house at this time.
Yes, you are right and there is a reason why exceptional tenants with dogs are probably too good to pass over for some LLs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego