Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 AM

149 posts, read 149,403 times

Advertisements

Howdy San Diegans!

I used to live in your city a decade ago, and am considering returning. I've lived in Boston for 17 years now (apart from that brief blip in San Diego), and am getting the heck out because I can no longer tolerate the insane cost of living, the dreadful long winters, and the aloof, unfriendly culture.

I run a successful dog walking and pet sitting biz here in an affluent part of Boston. I hope to recreate the same wherever I move, so most of my research has centered on which cities can support that kind of business. I had settled on Austin, as I have great friends there, but the heavy traffic and blazing summers are regretfully causing me to reconsider.

San Diego is my second choice, as it is dog walkers paradise. People are CRAZY about their dogs in SD - I don't think I've ever set foot in such a dog friendly city. Dogs everywhere.

My question to you is: do people use dog walkers and pet sitters there? From my research, it appears that they do, but I'd like to hear straight from some locals.

If you know anything about this subject, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 03:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
San Diego is one of the most dog- friendliest cities we have ever lived in. While I myself, have never needed the abilities of a dog walker.....I see them quite often strolling the beaches with their charges on leash. Many people I know, use Doggie Day Care. I have used their services off and on. However, I am not sure that one could depend solely on this type of business to keep your head above water.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 AM

27 posts, read 50,554 times
As a member of the target demographic, I can say that I have never used a pet sitter/dog walker nor will I ever do so. A dog sleeps 90% of the time during the day. It wakes up to east, drink water, sniff around, scratch and lick his weenie and then go back to sleep. How do I know, other than anecdotal evidence? Last summer my wife was absent from home for a few months so I installed a webcam so she can see the pooch whenever she wanted to.

You probably want to find a way to target your inquiry to residents of RSF, La Jolla, Delmar, Encinitas, and Coronado. People there have money to burn on these types of expenditures. My sense is that you will find few customers outside these areas. I have certainly never seen a dog walker in my neighborhood, nor have I heard of anyone using one.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Here in RP the kids do dog-walking and dog-sitting for pocket money. I agree, you'd need to look at more upscale neighborhoods to make anything like a living at it.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 AM

149 posts, read 149,403 times
Quote:
A dog sleeps 90% of the time during the day. It wakes up to east, drink water, sniff around, scratch and lick his weenie and then go back to sleep. How do I know, other than anecdotal evidence? Last summer my wife was absent from home for a few months so I installed a webcam so she can see the pooch whenever she wanted to.
Oh dear. Thank you for posting, but what you write here demonstrates such a fundamental misunderstanding of dogs and their needs, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

All dogs need a bathroom break and outdoor time during the day, when they can sniff and stretch their legs. Sniffing is a crucial, fundamental part of a dogs life - it stimulates and entertains them. A very old dog might spend the day sleeping, but will still need to go outside to use the bathroom.

Younger dogs left alone all day are, I assure you, bored out of their minds. They need bathroom and outdoor time, with way more exercise than an older dog. Dogs are incredibly social creatures - they are not cats. They should not be left alone all day while the owner is at work.

What you saw in your webcam was either an extremely bored, unstimulated animal waiting patiently for its owner to finally come home and give him/her some attention and exercise, or a very old dog resting and waiting for its owner to finally come home and give him/her some attention and exercise.

Many working people find that coming home to a dog that's been bored and waiting all day, and whose had no exercise, is the last thing they want to deal with after a long day at work. The dog will need exercise immediately or it will be jumping all over you, driving you crazy. Coming home to a happy, tired animal, is much preferred by lots of folks out there, thus the demand for people like me.

Dogs are not cute stuffed animals you have to feed. They are complex creatures with feelings and needs, and are very social, just like humans. Leaving any dog alone all day, without the means to relieve himself and get some kind of stimulation and outdoor time, is just not okay.

I'll get off my soapbox now. The bane of a dog professional's existence is the kind of uninformed comments you made in your post, and we will take every opportunity to stick up for these animals and educate owners about their needs.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
You might have better luck in Austin or Portland, since you're considering moving those cities also.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Just as a FYI: Austin is a beautiful area, and not anywhere near as hot and humid, as most Texas cities. Good luck with your endeavors!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:11 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Just as a FYI: Austin is a beautiful area, and not anywhere near as hot and humid, as most Texas cities. Good luck with your endeavors!

Is it? My cousin lives in Round Rock and says the summer temps are in the high 90's sometimes hitting 100.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:16 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
Oh dear. Thank you for posting, but what you write here demonstrates such a fundamental misunderstanding of dogs and their needs, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

All dogs need a bathroom break and outdoor time during the day, when they can sniff and stretch their legs. Sniffing is a crucial, fundamental part of a dogs life - it stimulates and entertains them. A very old dog might spend the day sleeping, but will still need to go outside to use the bathroom.

Younger dogs left alone all day are, I assure you, bored out of their minds. They need bathroom and outdoor time, with way more exercise than an older dog. Dogs are incredibly social creatures - they are not cats. They should not be left alone all day while the owner is at work.

What you saw in your webcam was either an extremely bored, unstimulated animal waiting patiently for its owner to finally come home and give him/her some attention and exercise, or a very old dog resting and waiting for its owner to finally come home and give him/her some attention and exercise.

Many working people find that coming home to a dog that's been bored and waiting all day, and whose had no exercise, is the last thing they want to deal with after a long day at work. The dog will need exercise immediately or it will be jumping all over you, driving you crazy. Coming home to a happy, tired animal, is much preferred by lots of folks out there, thus the demand for people like me.

Dogs are not cute stuffed animals you have to feed. They are complex creatures with feelings and needs, and are very social, just like humans. Leaving any dog alone all day, without the means to relieve himself and get some kind of stimulation and outdoor time, is just not okay.

I'll get off my soapbox now. The bane of a dog professional's existence is the kind of uninformed comments you made in your post, and we will take every opportunity to stick up for these animals and educate owners about their needs.
Yup. they get anxiety attacks being left alone all day. The ultimate nightmare for condo dwellers. Left out on a balcony or patio barking and whining all day.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:30 PM

[quote=msgsing;41019063]Is it? My cousin lives in Round Rock and says the summer temps are in the high 90's sometimes hitting 100.[/QUOTE
Job transfers sent us to Houston a number of times: Austin is so much more enjoyable.

Austin TX Average Temperatures by Month - Current Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego