Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 31,822 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I am moving to SD next year is the beach. I love San Diego beaches. I understand that renting closer to the beach is expensive. I have only explored the pacific beach neighborhood when I visited SD and loved it. Are there other beach neighborhoods that might be cheaper to rent? Ideally, I would love to run and walk around the beach a few times a week. Is renting in hill crest, north park or down town a viable option If I wanna visit the beach during week days? I imagine the drive and gas to get to the beach often would pretty much off set the higher rent if I rented very close to the beach? I am confused. I need some clarity.

Are there neighborhoods that offer a happy medium? Like I can walk or bike to the beach instead of living right at the beach? Would that be mission bay?

My budget is $1200 per month and I am looking for a studio/one bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
May be doable but won't be anything very nice. There are some cracker box studios on the cheap but those places were built around WWII and will be old.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM

30 posts, read 31,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
May be doable but won't be anything very nice. There are some cracker box studios on the cheap but those places were built around WWII and will be old.

Well. That provides some clarity. I like apartments with decent amenities (laundry, dish washer, gym) and built more recently. May be then I should explore inland more? It seems as though hill crest is just as expensive. There must be a neighborhood that's reasonably priced as well as not too far from the city attractions. Unless that's just a fantasy

Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
What part of town is your job in?

Does your $1200 budget include electricity, internet, and cable?

Would you consider a roommate in order to be closer to the beach or get more amenities?

Hillcrest and Downtown won't be any cheaper than Pacific Beach. If anything, they are more expensive.

North Park, Normal Heights, Claremont Mesa, the College area near SDSU might be closer to your budget. They're all a short drive from the beach (and downtown). Your budget might stretch farther there and get you some of the amenities you're looking for.

Of course, it all depends on where you'll be working. A long commute to work means less beach time.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Beaches for the most part are North of I 8. I bet Clairemont will work for you so long as nightlife isn't big on your list.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,281 times
Oceanside. Lower prices, can be fairly close to the water, and possibly on it. Not cheap, but definitely cheaper than anything south of it.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Oceanside. Lower prices, can be fairly close to the water, and possibly on it. Not cheap, but definitely cheaper than anything south of it.
Speaking of south, Imperial Beach might also be worth a look. The beach area there has become surprisingly nice in recent years (if you don't mind the occasional water closures).

Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,884,817 times
Good luck and be careful. Quite a few of the rental properties near the beach, apartments and houses, are short term vacation rentals. That translates into non stop 24/7 loud parties and general mayhem especially if you have a regular job and need a good night's sleep on a regular basis.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:14 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
I wanted to move close to the beach when I came out to SD. After being here for a few months I realized what a bad choice that would be for many reasons...some stated above.

I would much prefer to be a very short bus ride to the beach. From my doorstep I walk to the bus stop in less than 5 minutes...at the beach in 10/15 min. Not to mention prices for everything are more expensive in beach areas.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,206 times
Live 1-2 miles from the beach. Gets you out of the party zone but you can still bike to the beach in 10 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego