Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Okay, we will cut the Safari Park, but we really want to do the Stone Brewery. And what is so bad from the LA-SD drive? I drove from JFK to Dutchess County before and was perfectly fine.
LA traffic is different, and I'm sure that it's larger than Dutchess County. You may find yourself sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for two hours or longer. Just fly into San Diego, it'll make it much easier. Otherwise, all you'll be doing on your vacation is driving and sitting in trafic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Knotts Berry Farm is $72 per person plus $17 parking.

Disneyland is $95 per person plus parking.
Knotts Berry Farm seems to have near continuos inter net specials on ticket prices. With a little bit of effort the day before, I bought tickets for my family for $35.00 each and had a great time.

In contrast, there were absolutely no specials with Disney tickets- some travel forums even mocked me for asking about the possibility. I am so glad I skipped that rip off. This summer I am going back to... Knotts Berry Farms.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 PM

660 posts, read 658,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
LA traffic is different, and I'm sure that it's larger than Dutchess County. You may find yourself sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for two hours or longer. Just fly into San Diego, it'll make it much easier. Otherwise, all you'll be doing on your vacation is driving and sitting in trafic.
We would fly into San Diego, but we can't. We aren't old enough to rent cars and the person supplying is their car cannot drive down to San Diego.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
We would fly into San Diego, but we can't. We aren't old enough to rent cars and the person supplying is their car cannot drive down to San Diego.
If you're not old enought to rent a car, how do you plan to get to all of the places that you're going to try to get to? It's going to be a lot more complicated that you think it's going to be.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
If you're not old enought to rent a car, how do you plan to get to all of the places that you're going to try to get to? It's going to be a lot more complicated that you think it's going to be.
We are over 18, but the car rental age 25+ at San Diego I believe.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM

You can fly into San Diego, and rent a Lyft; Uber or taxi to take you to your hotel. It would cost less than sitting in LA traffic.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Maybe thye could take the train from San Diego to LA.

How far north do the San Diego county commuter trains run? I know that there is a station in Orange (north Orange County), but I don't know if it ties into the San Diego County network.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Updated itinerary:

Sunday, July 3rd
Fly into LAX and arrive in LAX at approximately 12:30PM. Eat lunch at In N Our Burger. Unfortunately, our friend’s relative is unable to drive down to San Diego Airport. After lunch, drive down to San Diego and check into hotel at approximately 3:15PM (depending on traffic. I am driving and I believe I will be fine on the 2 hour drive. Eat dinner in the Gaslamp Section. Later, go to the Mission Beach/Belmont Park to go on rides.

Monday, July 4th
Go to the San Diego Zoo. After the zoo, go to the Imperial Beach Pier to enjoy an early dinner and watch the fireworks.

Tuesday, July 5th
Spend the day at La Jolla and the Birch Aquarium. Enjoy dinner at La Jolla.

Wednesday, July 6th
Start off the day at the USS Midway Museum and the Coronado Beach. Go to the hotel and change. After that, go hiking at the Black Mountain Open Space Park. Enjoy dinner in the Gaslamp Section, and then walk around Seaport Village.

Thursday, July 7th
Go to Aquatica. Enjoy dinner and one final day at the Mission Beach and Belmont Park.

Friday, July 8th
Eat breakfast at the hotel and head up to Los Angeles.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Ok, your itinerary is starting to head towards reality.

Quote:
Updated itinerary:

Sunday, July 3rd
Fly into LAX and arrive in LAX at approximately 12:30PM. Eat lunch at In N Our Burger. Unfortunately, our friend’s relative is unable to drive down to San Diego Airport. After lunch, drive down to San Diego and check into hotel at approximately 3:15PM (depending on traffic. I am driving and I believe I will be fine on the 2 hour drive. Eat dinner in the Gaslamp Section. Later, go to the Mission Beach/Belmont Park to go on rides.
If lucky, you will arrive by 3:15. More likely 4pm or later. LA - SD is 2 1/2 hours only when all goes perfectly, like the middle of the night. 4 1/2 hours when it doesn't. So you get to your hotel, unpack, probably change, walk to Gaslamp, choose (argue) over a restaurant, get seated, order meal, wait for meal, eat meal, and you are looking at 7pm minimum. You may have time for Mission Beach and the promenade, but I doubt you will have energy for it.

PS - Big fan of In N Out Burger. The burgers are great. Order grilled onions. The milkshakes are awesome. The fries, only so-so. If you are dehydrated from your plane trip, buy the milkshakes anyway, and order extra waters. Try some of the non-vanilla, non-chocolate shakes as well.

Quote:
Monday, July 4th
Go to the San Diego Zoo. After the zoo, go to the Imperial Beach Pier to enjoy an early dinner and watch the fireworks.
Why drive all the way down to the Imperial Beach Pier? Does Imperial Beach have extra special fireworks that we don't know about? Asking, not saying this is bad idea. It could be IB is the only place left in San Diego with good access to beach viewing for fireworks. Your feet will be killing you after doing the zoo. Absolutely killing you.

Quote:
Tuesday, July 5th
Spend the day at La Jolla and the Birch Aquarium. Enjoy dinner at La Jolla.
That sounds doable, and all in the same place. Use this day to drive up to the top of Mount Soledad which is in La Jolla. Anyone on this board know if they can rent kayaks at La Jolla cove? That might be fun for them.

Quote:
Wednesday, July 6th
Start off the day at the USS Midway Museum and the Coronado Beach. Go to the hotel and change. After that, go hiking at the Black Mountain Open Space Park. Enjoy dinner in the Gaslamp Section, and then walk around Seaport Village.
This day will put you IN the park in the afternoon, IN summer. Better off heading directly to the park at 6am or however early you can get your teenage asses out of bed, (which probably WON'T be 6am - you're teens). If a beach were my next stop, I would go to Torrey Pines on that day. Or don't do Black Mountain, do the Torrey Pines State Preserve in the morning, and then you are right there at Torrey Pines State Beach. Oh, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to go to Seaport Village. It's just a tourist trap for people without any sense to know the difference.

Quote:
Thursday, July 7th
Go to Aquatica. Enjoy dinner and one final day at the Mission Beach and Belmont Park.
I know nothing about Aquatica. I hope it's right there near Pacific Beach. If it is the place mentioned near the border, there is no reason to do Aquatica on the same day as Mission Beach/Belmont Park. Too far apart.

Quote:
Friday, July 8th
Eat breakfast at the hotel and head up to Los Angeles.
Things you may wish to do, that aren't on this list - Point Loma Lighthouse for a harbor watching, picnic lunch, and resting because you can't be constantly on the go. You are teenagers. You need your mid-day naps. This is a good location just to stop, rest, and take in San Diego, all for $5 entrance fee and the cost of your sandwiches and drinks.

Supercucina in City Heights for authentic Mexican food. Inexpensive. Gets you out of the tourist areas for a little bit of your time.

There is a theme here, which everyone will agree on: Weed out excessive driving between attractions that will consume your time and aggravate your road rage.

Last edited by kettlepot; 03-14-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
I appreciate your open minded flexibility and reaching out to this forum for experienced advice; great to do that as a young person and you certainly don't sound like a trump dope supporter.
Consider swapping the summer hot Black mountain hike with the gorgeously-rewarding hikes about Torrey Pines State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego