Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 PM

660 posts, read 658,636 times

Advertisements

First off, I am not a Trump supporter. #feelthebern

What about Las Cuatras Milpas? I heard they are really good but have long lines.

We chose the Imperial Beach because it was recommended a few pages ago and is one of the recommended viewing places.

Can we do Torrey Pines on the same day as La Jolla?

What we liked about the Bear Open Space Park was reviewers said there are really good city views, the best out of all of the parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:58 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
I always thought the best place for the 4th of July in San Diego is OB.

You literally have fireworks on all sides (get to a rooftop, any rooftop) and then there is the marshmallow fight, kind of fun and zany.

Just a suggestion.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Imperial Beach has fireworks but you will NOT be able to see the huge fireworks display on San Diego Bay from the pier.

Don't drive to IB for the fireworks. If you're staying downtown, walk down to the Bay from your hotel and find a spot. From any place along the Bay front, you'll see at least four or five different shows over the bay, all happening simultaneously. Get down to the Bay front by 6 or 7 and you'll find a spot.

If you feel like driving a bit, head over to Shelter Island, which is on the Bay, as there are usually spots there. Plan to get over there before 6 to find parking. But it would be best to just walk to the Bayfront and avoid the traffic if you can.

Again, IB has fireworks, but they are a smaller show than you'll see over the Bay.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
F

Can we do Torrey Pines on the same day as La Jolla?

What we liked about the Bear Open Space Park was reviewers said there are really good city views, the best out of all of the parks.

(1) Yes you can do Torrey Pines on the same day. It is IN La Jolla. It is right up the road from Birch Aquarium, just a five minute drive. Along the way, consider stopping at the Torrey Pines Glider Port and having lunch at their restaurant. Or, just stand along the cliffs and watch the gliders take off over your head and out to sea. It is something you won't believe.

(2) On the off chance that you're talking about Marion Bear Park, be forewarned that it is known as a gay "pick up" spot. There are much nicer (and safer) places to hike in San Diego County.

Black Mountain Open Space Preserve doesn't really have "the best city views" as it is 20 miles or so inland. I am all for you heading inland to see more than the coast, but you might want to ask for suggestions on other inland hikes as well if you want to hike.

If you want really stunning city, sea and coastal views, instead go to Mount Soledad when you are in La Jolla. It's right above La Jolla Shores. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-soleda...orial-la-jolla

When you go to Torrey Pines, be sure to pay the entrance fee and drive up to the top of the hill - there are some really nice hiking trails up there through the Torrey Pines and out to the cliffs overlooking the coast. Ask at the ranger station for suggestions on which trail would be best for your group. Then come back down, park in the lot, and go for a swim in the ocean to cool off.

I second the harbor cruise suggestion. Or, rent bikes in Mission Beach and ride the boardwalk up to Pacific Beach.

Again, consider spending your first few days in LA, then coming down to San Diego so you aren't driving on California freeways with jet lag right after landing in California.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-14-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 10:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Aquatica is in Chula Vista. You can also take a 2 hour harbor cruise. That will give you a nice rest, and since it's on the water, it'll be cool.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 PM

660 posts, read 658,636 times
Whoops, it was Black Mountain Open Space Park, not Bear Open Space Park.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:18 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Las Cuetras Milpas is way overrated, lard greasy, and not good, along with El Indio.
Stick to a taco place like Roberto's at least.
Trust me - Torrey Pine views (adjacent to La Jolla) over Black, Bear, Cowles mounts, especially in July.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Aquatica is in Chula Vista. You can also take a 2 hour harbor cruise. That will give you a nice rest, and since it's on the water, it'll be cool.
From downtown, it will take you about 20 minutes to get to Aquatica. It's south of the city, almost in Mexico.

If you did feel the need to see Imperial Beach pier for some reason, you could go there after the water park. Or, head south when you are in Coronado and you'll reach IB soon enough. Look for Seacoast Drive on the map to find the beach and pier.

There aren't a lot of places to eat dinner near the pier though. I like IB, but I wouldn't put it high on my list of places to visit if I only had limited time in San Diego. There's a pier in Pacific Beach and another in Ocean Beach (longest pier on the west coast, I believe) if you feel you need to walk out on a pier over the ocean. Since you'll be in those areas anyhow, go to one of those for a pier.

I also would second driving out to Point Loma National Monument. Do a google search for their website to check on the tides, as you might hit it right to be able to get out into the tide pools and explore. That actually might be more fun than Birch Aquarium. (There are also tidepools in OB and by Scripps Pier in La Jolla.

Bloom is right. Don't miss hiking one of the trails at Torrey Pines.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Whoops, it was Black Mountain Open Space Park, not Bear Open Space Park.
Whew, that's a relief.

Black Mountain wouldn't be bad if you want to do a back country hike. But ask here for other suggestions too -- our back country areas have loads of amazing hiking options.

Just bring lots of water and sunscreen if you're going to be hiking in one of the inland areas in July. It regularly gets up into the high 90s (and sometimes tops 100+) inland, so long hikes can be a challenge. Also, watch out for rattlesnakes.

Finally, I want to commend you on how well you're doing at planning your trip! It will be fun no matter what you end up doing while you're here!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I appreciate your open minded flexibility and reaching out to this forum for experienced advice; great to do that as a young person and you certainly don't sound like a trump dope supporter.
Consider swapping the summer hot Black mountain hike with the gorgeously-rewarding hikes about Torrey Pines State Park.
dude...really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego