Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
Rankings don't mean anything if you don't do the work yourself and build your network.

Another factor that I considered when choosing a university was the availability of classes and how much time it would take me to finish.
The last is especially pertinent for transfers like the original poster. Sometimes transfers end up surprised by how the work they've done before transfer segues with the graduation requirements of a particular major after transfer.

So, again, the original poster needs to carefully compare the two programs (which are different) and decide which will work best for their interests and career direction.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-11-2016 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 AM

183 posts, read 210,754 times
Looking at it from a financial standpoint I would choose SDSU -its less expensive.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
In all the discussion here, what's gotten a bit lost is that there is another reason why the original poster might choose SDSU over UCSD.

The original poster is interested in a marketing.

Generally, when employers are thinking about hiring for an entry level position in marketing, they are going to lean towards recent graduates who have some depth in terms of the number and variety of marketing courses they've taken. The assumption is that more courses in marketing equals more knowledge and depth of skills in marketing.

At UCSD, the original poster will take one required course in marketing as part of his/her degree.

At SDSU, the original poster can specialize in marketing, and will take a number of courses focused in more depth on different areas and functions of marketing functions.

UCSD does not have an undergraduate degree (or even a minor) in marketing.

SDSU's marketing program is very strong. The marketing faculty include recognized experts (such as George Belch) in different marketing functions. When I say, "recognized experts" I'm not just talking about San Diego. Many of the marketing faculty consult with large business across the nation. They are doing cutting edge research into marketing. (And, I know from former students that they also can sometimes open doors for students looking for internships and jobs).

Of course, no one can predict the future or what every employer will do, but my hunch is that a degree in marketing from SDSU's school of business may get a recent grad's foot in the door for an entry level marketing job than a degree in "international business" from UCSD's school of international studies.

That's where focusing just on "ratings" or the overall so-called overall reputation of a school can lead students and parents astray. Ratings don't tell the student about how a school may align with their interests and goals.

However, I am not saying that the original poster SHOULD choose SDSU over UCSD. It all comes down to personal choice. Which program does the OP feel will be more interesting and challenging? Which school has the quality of life the OP prefers? Will his/her family be more comfortable financially with one choice over the other? Can he study abroad at one school, and not the other as he would like to do? And likely the OP has other factors that are important to him/her and his/her family to weigh.

The OP is lucky -- BOTH options are great choices. The OP just needs to decide which path he/she prefers to take. It will be a great choice regardless.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-11-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM

280 posts, read 250,368 times
Rosie's last post is on point but I will add given that I am a current MBA student at SDSU and past alum. I did the same Mesa to SDSU transfer as well. The advice about checking on classes and units that will transfer is very important. Become BFFs with the academic adviser!! I thought I has everything planned out but ended up needing 2 classes before I could start my upper division.

UCSD will have higher caliber students. I hate to say this but it is the truth. Especially at the undergrad level you will get a segment of the SDSU population who are there to party and just be in school b/c that is what mommy and daddy are paying for. There is a bit less of this at the upper division level, but the gap remains.

SDSU will give you an opportunity to specialize in the field that you want. The marketing department is really good!! I say this as a finance guy who wasn't big on marketing. SDSU is more about what you make of the situation. The professors know this and willing to go the extra mile if you put forth the effort.

Good luck!!

Old 05-11-2016, 04:28 PM

401 posts, read 444,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
Rankings don't mean anything if you don't do the work yourself and build your network.

Another factor that I considered when choosing a university was the availability of classes and how much time it would take me to finish.
This. I would even add that schools, while they do matter to an extent, are really just platforms for you to build yourself from. In the end, it's up to our own drives to excel, and believe me when I say that is the single most important factor in one's own success.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
I am an SDSU alum with an accounting degree and have worked here in San Diego for more than 30 years. I have always worked in corporate accounting and finance and many of my coworkers are fellow SDSU graduates.

My daughter did the cc transfer fall 2015. She did an associates degree in business at the cc thinking she would transfer to SDSU as a business marketing major. She was accepted to both SDSU and UCSD and ultimately chose UCSD. She is a communication major with a business minor. By the time she graduates in 2017 she will have taken even more business classes than communication classes because of the cc business courses she took. She was able to land an internship for this summer in LA at a PR firm with no experience.

I think that either school is a great choice and it just depends on you and what you want your college experience to be. My daughter loves UCSD and is very challenged by her professors and the level of the students there. She will tell you that quarters are tough at the beginning as 10 weeks goes by quickly, but now she loves them.

Good luck with your final decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego