Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Then why not put it in the part of the city where cars are stolen most
I can Guarantee that, more cars are stolen in other parts of the city of San Diego than Carslbad.
And who going to pay for and monitor this system
Hmmm, you got me curious. The San Diego County DAs office keeps stats on vehicle thefts in different parts of the county. Here are some from 2015 (latest year I could find):

Coronado - 21
Carlsbad - 115
La Mesa - 212
National City - 305
El Cajon - 345
Oceanside - 435
Escondido - 607
Chula Vista - 799
Areas served by San Diego County Sherriff (guess this includes unincorporated areas & areas w/o own police force) 1,678
City of San Diego - 4,673 (as I recall reading somewhere, worst area for thefts within the city were San Ysidro, downtown, Pacific Beach and Barrio Logan, but my memory might be faulty, so don't quote me on that)

In all, a total of 9,517 vehicles were stolen in the county of San Diego in 2015.

http://www.sdcda.org/preventing/auto...ts-By-City.pdf

Also, it occurs to me that if they're trying to stop cars from being stolen in Carlsbad, what good does taking photos of cars entering the city do? I mean, it would make more sense to take photos of cars LEAVING if you were trying to find people's stolen cars, right?

Unless, of course, Carlsbad is on the hunt for stolen cars from other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
They are welcome to photograph my dirty car, plate and all. I pay my bills so nothing to worry about.
Do you feel the same way about your phone calls or email being monitored? I mean, you have nothing to hide, right? How about the government tracking all of your purchases? Sure, companies do it now, so there's no problem with government compiling all of that data, right? Health records? You haven't done anything wrong! If we all had to log in and out of our homes, that wouldn't be a big deal!

And then, one day, the police want to talk to you because they noticed a "pattern". Or they're looking for a car, and yours could be a match, so since they have this photo showing you in the city at a particular time, you wouldn't mind coming down and answering a few questions, right? Surely you can prove where you were. It shouldn't be too hard for you to prove your innocence, since you did nothing wrong, and nobody has ever run afoul of the State when they did nothing wrong.

You know, you're right. I feel better now.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Do you feel the same way about your phone calls or email being monitored? I mean, you have nothing to hide, right? How about the government tracking all of your purchases? Sure, companies do it now, so there's no problem with government compiling all of that data, right? Health records? You haven't done anything wrong! If we all had to log in and out of our homes, that wouldn't be a big deal!

And then, one day, the police want to talk to you because they noticed a "pattern". Or they're looking for a car, and yours could be a match, so since they have this photo showing you in the city at a particular time, you wouldn't mind coming down and answering a few questions, right? Surely you can prove where you were. It shouldn't be too hard for you to prove your innocence, since you did nothing wrong, and nobody has ever run afoul of the State when they did nothing wrong.

You know, you're right. I feel better now.
I don't care to be honest, as long as they don't send me junk mail or solicit me with crap to buy that's where I draw the line. If they scan my plate and send me junk mail and political crap, then I have a problem.

Not sure what the Govt will gain from my Amazon purchases, e-mails discussing recipes for bread and granola and family issues?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hmmm, you got me curious. The San Diego County DAs office keeps stats on vehicle thefts in different parts of the county. Here are some from 2015 (latest year I could find):

Coronado - 21
Carlsbad - 115
La Mesa - 212
National City - 305
El Cajon - 345
Oceanside - 435
Escondido - 607
Chula Vista - 799
Areas served by San Diego County Sherriff (guess this includes unincorporated areas & areas w/o own police force) 1,678
City of San Diego - 4,673 (as I recall reading somewhere, worst area for thefts within the city were San Ysidro, downtown, Pacific Beach and Barrio Logan, but my memory might be faulty, so don't quote me on that)

In all, a total of 9,517 vehicles were stolen in the county of San Diego in 2015.

http://www.sdcda.org/preventing/auto...ts-By-City.pdf

Also, it occurs to me that if they're trying to stop cars from being stolen in Carlsbad, what good does taking photos of cars entering the city do? I mean, it would make more sense to take photos of cars LEAVING if you were trying to find people's stolen cars, right?

Unless, of course, Carlsbad is on the hunt for stolen cars from other cities.
IGood Post Rosie
There are at lease 5 other cities on that list that could using this. You're also right about when the Photos should be taken, they should be taken leaving the city not entering.
Also, most of the Car Thief's in La Mesa come from Grossmont Center parking lot/ trolley.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsvtdriver View Post
Fair Use extract:

Carlsbad to photograph every car entering city - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Good? Bad? Will more cities follow suit?
Doesn't bother me, I am not there and even if living where I may move to in SoCal, Carlsbad is not a city I will be in any time soon or even very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego