Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

Thanks for playing, everyone! No lack of great responses here!

Ok, being the nerd that I am, here's a color map showing where you are all coming from. If your state isn't red, it's because you haven't been counted yet!

We don't seem to getting much love from the Great Plains or the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I hope your not a Realtor !
Am I a realtor? Not a chance!!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,108 times
Default Okay, I'll speak up for FLA

I am looking to relocate to that area from Tampa. I am originally from Philadelphia/NY area so Tampa seems like I took 20 steps backward since I got here. I miss the nightlife, good eats, hip crowd, culture of the north. However, I DO NOT miss the weather, which is why I am looking west instead of returning north. Also, I am into fitness and fashion/makeup and there is not a lot of opportunity to advance in that here. Top that off with jobs paying nothing here and having graduate degree, its frustrating to potentially make only $12/hour working retail or call center because that's all that's here!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 40,022 times
Moving from Jersey, just finished a five year stint in Manhattan.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
[quote=Where'sTheBeach?;3158494]No MCAS (our state test. School here, at least where I teach, has lost all it's creativity. I don't blame kids who hate coming to school. We treat them like numbers, literally being given kids who are low income or minority because they will affect our scores more than others)

Just FYI, California has state performance tests too, called STAR and MAPS and with budget cuts across the state you will be hard pressed to find a teaching job anywhere in California. Our school is cutting teachers hired as far back as 2003.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Updated to add Florida

....and let's not forget about our neighbor to the north, in Vancouver, BC

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,531 times
We are seriously thinking of moving to San Diego from just north of Boston but we need to sell our house in a tough market - we are putting it on in a few weeks so hoping for the best - my husband and I have family there, siblings, nieces and friends and my 80 year old mother wants to come too from Conn.! We are very tired of the weather here and with four kids (ages4-12) there is way too much inside time. Can't wait to enjoy the weather change and hopefully friendlier more easy going people and lifestyle - people here can be very uptight and angsty or very to themselves. I am a certified Massage Therapist and my husband can work from home for his company - we would love to find a great family neighborhood, good schools etc and can afford in the 700,000 range if there is any advice. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM

156 posts, read 721,880 times
Joey81 stated
Quote:
This is true but it's all relative; though if you have a good paying job (50k+), you can live in SD. As your income rises you can look into places like La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe, where the average family income is $350k (highest in the US).
We can do the 50K thing, but average income of $350? that's WAY out of our league...we are older and our income prob won't rise like that! Unless we win the lottery!
We are selling our home too, and it's tough here in NJ, but I think sales are picking up...starting to see Sold signs around town. But, I don't want to buy another house right away, I don't want to buy when home prices are still going down.
:-D

Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
My wife and I will be moving from Denmark to San Diego on June 15. We have visited SD a few times, and spent all January 2007 on Shelter Island (doesn't get much better). Dont EVER miss a Bali Hai Mai Tai

I will not be allowed to work since I'm coming on a spouse visa, but my wife is setting up shop as a Aluminum expert.

I love San Diego for the great weather, the "no problem cultur" and the great food. Oh did I forget sailing and fishing and driving with the top down all year. I could go on.

Maybe I will meet some of you at a MeetUp gettogether.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
I moved to San Diego from Utah last year. I'm originally from Los Angeles and lived in Utah for about 7 years, which included 4 years of undergrad.
What brought me to San Diego starts in Utah. Utah sucks, its boring, its lame, its full of hypocrits and smug people.
I still love L.A., my hometown, but I wasn't willing to make the big leap to L.A. Not just yet at least. Mainly due to the smog, the traffic, and its violent rep.
San Diego has the weather, the size (not too small, not too large), the traffic (traffic in Salt Lake is worse), the people (are totally awesome and friendly), the nightlife, the girls, the everything.
Luckily, I got what I wanted and was admitted at USD Law which is a good school. Not to say that I wouldnt have gone to a UCLA or USC, but still, I'm extremely happy where I ended up in.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 47,155 times
San Diego is a wonderful place to live, if you earn a good income and can live within a reasonable commute of your job. it is not a good city if you don't earn much money or have to live way in the 'burbs and drive on very crowded freeways and pay a fortune for gas. Housing, in spite of the mortgage crisis and decrease in property values is still VERY expensive. If housing space, yards, and good schools are very important to you - make sure you earn well above average income ($100k OR MORE) - or you will be very disappointed with your options here. Many people move here without realizing that their standard of living will go down and long for their big houses elsewhere.
Other downsides: the city financial situation is really bad - the public schools are mostly bad - wildfires are a real and present danger where the city has been overbuilt into the edge of the wilderness. People are generally nice, but most people have to work so hard to make it here, it can be difficult to develop more than casual acquaintances as your friends may live 30 miles away from you in heavy traffic.
I don't encourage people to move here unless they have are prepared to deal with the issues above. Yes the beaches are beautiful, the wealthly areas are gorgeous, people love to be outside and excercise and lead a generally healthly lifestyle. You can do a lot of these things for free - but entertainment, eating out, theater, can be expensive. I love San Diego and have lived here 17 years - but I have come to understand its positive and negative aspects. Living here is not the same as being on vacation here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego