Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 PM

216 posts, read 200,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I used Uber for that. I wasn't going to try and find parking in that nightmare. It only cost $16 dollars from Pasadena. Things weren't that organized this year at the con. I don't know if they weren't expecting that many people or what but someone dropped the ball.
Uber !!! My favorite way to get around LA. And relatively inexpensive. I didnt' go to the event but I heard the crowds were huge and, as you say, event planners did a poor job of handling the overflow.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 PM

716 posts, read 393,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I went to the Wilshire Grand last week, pretty amazing. No doubt, billions of dollars are being pumped into DTLA in an effort to reclaim it's glory of yesteryear and then some. However, DTLA is 14 miles inland (where El Cajon is down here), and DTSD is pretty much on the water obviously. A hot day in DTLA, Silverlake, or Echo Park can be downright miserable. You'll be running for the shade of those skyscrapers and wishing you were just about anywhere else in the country. No amount of money will correct that.
This was a huge factor for us and a great feature to keep pointing out.

Besides being the least expensive to live in, it has the best weather of the three (SF, LA and SD) without the smog of LA. Then to top it off, add the waterfront views and the activities the bay provides, these are the reasons that brought us here from SJ...

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I went to the Wilshire Grand last week, pretty amazing. No doubt, billions of dollars are being pumped into DTLA in an effort to reclaim it's glory of yesteryear and then some. However, DTLA is 14 miles inland (where El Cajon is down here), and DTSD is pretty much on the water obviously. A hot day in DTLA, Silverlake, or Echo Park can be downright miserable. You'll be running for the shade of those skyscrapers and wishing you were just about anywhere else in the country. No amount of money will correct that.
You absolutely exaggerating the LA Summer heat. We're not Phoenix or Las Vegas. Not even close. We have heat waves during the summer, as does most of the country, but they don't last long. Maybe a few weeks here and there. The rest of the Summer it's usually in the mid 70's to mid 80's in coastal communities (Venice, Playa del Rey, LAX, West LA, Santa Monica, etc.) and high 70's to high 80's in communities around DTLA (Silverlake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Angelino Heights, Boyle Heights, USC, etc.). Average Summer temperature are highest in the San Fernando Valley, low 80's to high 90's.

If you need further proof, just go to the web and look up average monthly temperatures for Los Angeles. Here's what I found: JUNE Avg 78 high, 60 low; JULY 83 high, 64 low; AUGUST 84 high, 64 low. Sounds like a pretty pleasant Summer to me.

Last edited by Happy in L.A.; 07-07-2017 at 01:13 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
The problem with L.A. summers is the unpredictability. Last week, it hit 98 degrees in DTLA, an all-time record.

I was skunked 2X over the last 3 years, to the point where I avoid any trip to L.A. during the summer. I'm always eager to return, ride the rails, go to museums, but, just to be safe, October thru April.

A couple years ago, just my luck!, it hit 100 in DTLA, and I took the blue line out to Long Beach, and there was no relief there either.

And, the other time, it hit high 90's, and coming from Las Vegas, where we're not used to humidity, if you add in the humidity to high 90's, I may as well stayed in Las Vegas.

San Diego, much more predictable!!!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
How did you like that men's room on the 71st floor?! The craziest and most amazing view while relieving oneself in the world haha! The rooftop bar is was way cool too.

We just came back from a great, early, (Thursday-Saturday) weekend in DTLA. took the train up and walked with our luggage to The Broad, then down to our hotel, The Sheraton Grand, a couple of blocks away from the Wilshire Grand. Had a great mix of museums, (along with The Broad), LACMA, MOCA and and the Geffen MOCA between bar crawling with our LA bud and a great play at the Mark Taper Forum but man was it blazing! We usually pick a neighborhood to explore on foot between the museums and bars but it was just too damn hot. The subways and busses were nice and cool though but I could't believe it was 20° cooler down in SD. I agree with you that while SD can get hot, it is nothing like LA in the summertime. It was deliciously cool when we arrived back on Sat. evening.

Love to have DTLA so convenient, we can get all over that city now not even entering a car, but am always grateful I live here.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-10-2017 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
You absolutely exaggerating the LA Summer heat. We're not Phoenix or Las Vegas. Not even close. We have heat waves during the summer, as does most of the country, but they don't last long. Maybe a few weeks here and there. The rest of the Summer it's usually in the mid 70's to mid 80's in coastal communities (Venice, Playa del Rey, LAX, West LA, Santa Monica, etc.) and high 70's to high 80's in communities around DTLA (Silverlake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Angelino Heights, Boyle Heights, USC, etc.). Average Summer temperature are highest in the San Fernando Valley, low 80's to high 90's.

If you need further proof, just go to the web and look up average monthly temperatures for Los Angeles. Here's what I found: JUNE Avg 78 high, 60 low; JULY 83 high, 64 low; AUGUST 84 high, 64 low. Sounds like a pretty pleasant Summer to me.
I didn't exaggerate anything. We're talking downtowns here. Of course, any city, anywhere, can have an unusually hot day. Downtown San Diego, Long Beach, Santa Monica, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle...all have one thing in common-you can throw a rock into ocean/bay/sound from downtown. DTLA is 14 miles inland and that will never change. So yes, on an unusually hot day, it will be more miserable in downtown Los Angeles than other coastal cities.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
How did you like that men's room on the 71st floor?! The craziest and most amazing view while relieving oneself in the world haha! The rooftop bar is was way cool too.

We just came back from a great, early, (Thursday-Saturday) weekend in DTLA. took the train up and walked with our luggage to The Broad, then down to our hotel, The Sheraton Grand, a couple of blocks away from the Wilshire Grand. Had a great mix of museums, (along with The Broad), LACMA, MOCA and and the Geffen MOCA between bar crawling with our LA bud and a great play at the Mark Taper Forum but man was it blazing! We usually pick a neighborhood to explore on foot between the museums and bars but it was just too damn hot. The subways and busses were nice and cool though but I could't believe it was 20° cooler down in SD. I agree with you that while SD can get hot, it is nothing like LA in the summertime. It was deliciously cool when we arrived back on Sat. evening.

Love to have DTLA so convenient, we can get all over that city now not even entering a car, but am always grateful I live here.
I went to the restaurant "Dekkadance" I think (whichever one wasn't the sushi place). I am going back to LA for stuff in Hollywood on Friday, but I think I just might stop downtown to check out that Spire 73 bar.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
I went to the restaurant "Dekkadance" I think (whichever one wasn't the sushi place). I am going back to LA for stuff in Hollywood on Friday, but I think I just might stop downtown to check out that Spire 73 bar.
You gotta check out that men's urinal on the 71st floor. It is epic!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r1q7A1cuf...25284%2529.jpg

Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Wow, so you're able to go the speed limit for a whole 10-15 miles (for a fee of course) before you hit that soul crushing traffic the rest of the way. Bravo! lol. Either way you think being an hour (more like 2 hours most of the time, stop lying) is "central". That's LA/OC for you, where being AN HOUR away is "centralized". SAD.
I live near Universal Studios and the Hollywood Bowl (26 miles from LAX), and depending on the time of day, I can get to LAX in 30 minutes or 1.5 hours tops. The real nightmare is once you enter the horseshoe drive connecting the various terminals. LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world, handles over 80 million passengers a year and is busy 24/7.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I live near Universal Studios and the Hollywood Bowl (26 miles from LAX), and depending on the time of day, I can get to LAX in 30 minutes or 1.5 hours tops. The real nightmare is once you enter the horseshoe drive connecting the various terminals. LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world, handles over 80 million passengers a year and is busy 24/7.
Do you ever fly in and out of BUR? It's about 12-15 minutes from Universal City in light traffic on surface streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego