Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 PM

39 posts, read 47,864 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am seriously thinking about moving to SD soon... I wanted to get your opinions about where's would be a safe place to work and live.
I don't care about schools in the area, I do care about safety and parking (A lot!) and being in a neighborhood that is close to a lot of places and have some things to do.
I know the downtown and the general area but I'm not too familiar with the surrounding.
Also, I am obviously going to make my own research but would love to hear you opinion about the rent prices for an average 1br over there.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
Got a job lined up yet? That's your #1 priority! If not, how much money do you have saved up? What's your monthly income, and how much can you afford to pay in rent every month?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 PM

Great questions. Yes, I'll be transferring so that's not a concern.
I'd like to be at the 1500$ ish a month or less if I can... but I am somewhat flexible with the money.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM

What area of San Diego is your job located in? Unless you like commuting and sitting in traffic, you'll probably want to live close to your job. Public transportation here is OK, depending on where you live and where you're going. The buses and trolleys don't run all night, and some stop very early in the evening.

Rents for a one bedroom can vary depending on location and amenities. I pay $11.95 for my one bedroom, but that doesn't include utilities (gas/electric/water/sewer/trash). I pay renter's insurance ($15/mo (required), and $25/mo rent on my cat.

Last edited by moved; 10-04-2018 at 07:08 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 PM

That's not bad at all for a one bedroom!!

And luckily I'm flexible on the location too. There are a few offices I can chose from. So I will choose according to the area I'd like to live in.

Like I said, I'm only familiar with San Diego, but will also consider La Jolla even though I'm not familiar with it, but heard good things. I'm assuming this area is also more expensive, but could be wrong...

Old 10-04-2018, 08:25 PM

782 posts, read 762,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Rents for a one bedroom can vary depending on location and amenities. I pay $11.95 for my one bedroom, but that doesn't include utilities (gas/electric/water/sewer/trash). I pay renter's insurance ($15/mo (required), and $25/mo rent on my cat.
$11.95 for a one bedroom, quite the deal you got there. Insurance and pet fee aside, though I know this is a typo. lol

Seriously though to the OP, you have to look at where you will be working, unless you are like a high % of people here who don't work or don't have to work because they are loaded. Based on traffic volumes you will see plenty work, so don't plan your work too far from home unless you enjoy commuting in heavy traffic.

Parking can be a challenge in some areas too, even some offices get maxed out because they hire more than capacity.

I live and work in North County, if my career took me south, I would move south, no way would I commute on either of the two options, the 5 or the 15, no thanks. We like North County, and it's not too far from downtown and the amenities, but we'd prefer to be closer as there are things lacking here compared to what we are use to from where we moved prior. Closer to OC and LA, we tend to go to the OC but the drive isn't any better than going South.

Also, just curious why San Diego? Have you ever been here, do you have any presumptions on how life is here beyond TV and pop culture?

Last edited by aewan68; 10-04-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
$11.95 for a one bedroom, quite the deal you got there. Insurance and pet fee aside, though I know this is a typo. lol
No, it's not a typo.

I pay $1,220 for rent, which includes $25/mo for my cat. Renter's insurance is $15/mo, SDG&E is around $25-$30/mo, and water/trash/sewer will be around $30 starting in January.

My lease is up in May, and I expect the rent will go up $100. I'll be starting to look for another place starting in Mid-April, because I want to be downtown, or as close to downtown as I can get to be closer to work.

Last edited by moved; 10-04-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 PM

What happened to moving to one of the other places that you were considering? Those were Austin, SFO Bay Area, LA, MD/VA/DC area (Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington, Ellicott City, Elkridge, and Columbia)

Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM

782 posts, read 762,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
No, it's not a typo.

I pay $1,220 for rent, which includes $25/mo for my cat. Renter's insurance is $15/mo, SDG&E is around $25-$30/mo, and water/trash/sewer will be around $30 starting in January.

My lease is up in May, and I'll be starting to look for another place starting in Mid-April.
CA is the only place I know of that landlords charge a monthly pet fee, in other places we lived it's a flat rate one time, pet deposit, usually around $300. That's from my experience living and renting in 3 other states.

I can tell you this, your rent is way less than a 1 bedroom in a nice/sorta safe area in South Florida, usually around 900 sq ft or less, if that.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:45 PM

This is the first place that I've ever lived where I had to pay rent on my cat. And I've rented in the MD/DC/VA, Tucson, Sacramento, Chico, and here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego