Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 AM

15,137 posts, read 32,420,711 times

Advertisements

Normally, you have to wait until DMV sends you a notice of renewal, but you can still make an appointment before you get it. You don't need an eye exam unless it's stated on the renewal form, you don't have to take the written test again, and with an appointment, it doesn't take very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,679,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Normally, you have to wait until DMV sends you a notice of renewal, but you can still make an appointment before you get it. You don't need an eye exam unless it's stated on the renewal form, you don't have to take the written test again, and with an appointment, it doesn't take very long.
It didn't used to. There were about three times I made an appointment, walked in, took care of business, and was out within 15 minutes. The last couple of times, all it got was to skip the ridiculous line... it still took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get anything done. Glad I never have to deal with them again.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,319,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I was curious to know how soon in advance can I renew my CA license ? It expires in October on my 50th B'day so I want to get that out of the way. Spending my 50th B'Day at the DMV would be awful. I guess I need to get this RealID thing to board planes so I cannot do this online correct ? Maybe my Global Entry Card is considered a REAL ID ? I would appreciate any information.
If you have a passport, passport card, SENTRI or any Trusted Traveler card you don't need a Real ID. You can get a standard CA drivers license.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,757,528 times
You can renew your DL anytime you want. Just tell them you lost it, and go to the DMV to get a replacement, and bring the dos with you to get a REAL ID.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 AM

50,540 posts, read 47,334,916 times
Normally I'd find it easy to bag on the dmv but I was in and out in 15 min tops for real ID.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 AM

38 posts, read 64,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I wonder if getting the eye exam at a local optometrist before the appt date would save me time ?

So I walk into any optometrist. They are all legit as far as the DMV is concerned ?

Back in NYC when I renewed is was a simple process but in CA there is even talk of another written test ??? I guess I should re read the dmv pamphlet before I visit once more.
When I got my real ID last month, I had to read one line from the eye chart above the DMV clerk ( I wear glasses and it was easy and fast, so I wouldn't bother with an appt with your optometrist.

I also had to take a written test ( if I had renewed online I wouldn't have had to ) There are online DMV tests you can take beforehand, which I did, several, just in case. I only missed 1 question.

Btw, I also provided 2 proofs of residence. Apparently the DMV is going to be asking people who recently got their real ID's to come back and provide a second proof of residence, as they are now requiring them this year. My DMV clerk was really on top of things, and although not required last month, asked if I had a second proof of residence to avoid any hassles in the future.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:41 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,679,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahme22 View Post
I also had to take a written test ( if I had renewed online I wouldn't have had to ) There are online DMV tests you can take beforehand, which I did, several, just in case. I only missed 1 question.
When I moved back to CA from Virginia, I went to get my CA drivers license back, and they surprised me with the written test. I hadn't read anything, zero preparation. I went ahead and took it, figuring the worst case, that I failed, would be the same result as not taking it at all. For every question, I chose the answer that was the most simpering, the most pandering to whiny special-interests, or that reflected the greatest possible amount of government intrusion in our lives. I scored 100%. So there's that...

Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM

4,548 posts, read 12,438,606 times
I received my notice 90 days in advance of my birthday. I almost immediately made my appointment, with the earliest possible date at 30 days in advance of my birthday. The first 60 of the 90 days were already booked. However, my response answers a different question than your query about how far in advance of your actual birthday can you go in.

You can anticipate your October due date by assuming you will get your notice in July. Around April/May, you can call into the system and make an appointment for July. Make the appointment for late July to ensure you have your renewal notice in hand.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:51 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,420,711 times
It's easier to make an appointment online, that way you can check all the different offices to see who has the earliest appointment. But you can always show up at any office before they open and wait in line without an appointment, and sometimes they're pretty fast.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM

50,540 posts, read 47,334,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It's easier to make an appointment online, that way you can check all the different offices to see who has the earliest appointment. But you can always show up at any office before they open and wait in line without an appointment, and sometimes they're pretty fast.
Days with nasty weather keeps people away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego