Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,588,283 times

Advertisements

Many of my friends in the midwest and the east coast ask me if new homes are still being built in the city of San Diego. I usually say no, mostly just teardowns and in-fill projects.

Well, as this video shows, I'm totally wrong. This video was taken today by a realtor. The realtor does not say his name. The project is called Sterling Heights by Lennar Homes. It's in zip code 92127.

The homes are quite large by coastal San Diego standards. The prices are $2M-ish. Note how many people are touring these homes. The realtor says about 10% of the project is already sold.

How many San Diego families can afford a $2M home? Apparently quite a few.

It's a 10 minute homemade video. You'll get the picture of how strong housing demand is in San Diego in the first few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=G7rwyY1Am0Y

Last edited by cruitr; 01-13-2019 at 02:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,128,827 times
Carmel Valley has swaths of single-family homes still being built, most of which fall within City of San Diego boundaries.

The rest of the city needs to start building more multi-family in underutilized areas like Midway, Kearny Mesa, Mission Valley, etc. and increase density in established urban areas. Of course, the region really needs to start building the transit infrastructure now in order to accommodate these people.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,776,937 times
Wealthy foreigners is my guess, not your typical working San Diegan that’s for sure.

I see quite of bit of Asian people in that video, rich Chinese possibly?

This is the kind of development we don’t need anymore in SD. 2 Million dollar homes is that the norm now?

Even professional types can’t afford that, so it’s obvious these homes are being built to attract rich foreigners looking to buy in the U.S.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,164,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Carmel Valley has swaths of single-family homes still being built, most of which fall within City of San Diego boundaries.

The rest of the city needs to start building more multi-family in underutilized areas like Midway, Kearny Mesa, Mission Valley, etc. and increase density in established urban areas. Of course, the region really needs to start building the transit infrastructure now in order to accommodate these people.
Did it ever dawn on you that they don't want that in that area?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,588,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Wealthy foreigners is my guess, not your typical working San Diegan that’s for sure.

I see quite of bit of Asian people in that video, rich Chinese possibly?

This is the kind of development we don’t need anymore in SD. 2 Million dollar homes is that the norm now?

Even professional types can’t afford that, so it’s obvious these homes are being built to attract rich foreigners looking to buy in the U.S.
If they use a mortgage to buy the house, only interest on the first $750,000 is federally tax-deductible. And Jumbo mortgage rates are 4% or higher.

If they pay cash, these new homes probably have mello-roos taxes. A new owner of one of these homes is going to pay $2-3K A MONTH in property taxes. And most of that is not tax-deductible either.

Money must grow on trees in China.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:55 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,420,913 times
There is also new home construction in the interior Otay Mesa area. Other than these two areas, far northeast and far southeast, you are correct that new single-family home construction is dead inside the city.

It's interesting that in the video this new development is behind gates. That's the smartest way to go. It keeps the City/State from ruining your neighborhood after the fact by forcing in incompatible development. In a few years the only single family neighborhoods left in San Diego will be gated communities and historic districts.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Did it ever dawn on you that they don't want that in that area?
Oh I did. I just don't care because we desperately need housing and every community needs to build its fair share. Unpopular opinion on CD and not unsurprising given the demographic of people who post on here.

But by all means, continue to stick your head in the sand and pretend like these problems will just solve themselves. But I suppose it doesn't make a difference for you since you won't be around to deal with the problems.

Did it ever dawn on you that your mentality is why nothing ever gets accomplished in San Diego?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
It's interesting that in the video this new development is behind gates. That's the smartest way to go. It keeps the City/State from ruining your neighborhood after the fact by forcing in incompatible development. In a few years the only single family neighborhoods left in San Diego will be gated communities and historic districts.
Boo fricken hoo. Low density, single-family neighborhoods are a total drain on our tax base. SFH represent a small tax base, but a ton of public infrastructure to maintain relative to taxes. Throw in all the Prop 13 freeloaders and people still can't grapple why we can't have nice things.

Not to mention the public subsidies going to mortgage interest, highway/road building and expansion, and general municipal services.

Absolutely no sympathy.

Cue:"they're building skyscrapers in my neighborhood!" "they are taking away my [free] parking" and all the other sensationalist rhetoric of NIMBYs who think they own other peoples' land.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post

Wont do a thing for pricing as no builder wants to lose money. Afford a place to live or ... well homeless, 8 to a room or .... increase your income or move where your income makes it possible. No one has a right to live anywhere, just the opportunity. This is why the IE is growing. Smart people, not cry babies.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,164,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
There is also new home construction in the interior Otay Mesa area. Other than these two areas, far northeast and far southeast, you are correct that new single-family home construction is dead inside the city.

Yes, exactly. Not just San Diego. Just wait until after 2021 with a Dem president like Julian Castro or others like him who want to socially engineer every zip code in the US.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 01-13-2019 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego