Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times

Advertisements

Is there a way anyone can find out who are buying these ultra expensive homes? Foreigners or U.S. citizens?

Is there public records for the general public to see?

It’s one thing where people are struggling just to be able to afford a $500,000 home, but a mil or 2 mil? Now that’s very extreme and only a hand few of San Diegans can afford that. I really wonder what these people do for a living.

Let’s also not forget wealthy foreign Middle Easterners buying property/homes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
There's plenty of housing, at much lower prices, in most of the rest of the country.
Sorry, not everyone who wants to live in San Diego can be accommodated. You're free to not like it as much as you want.
I refuse to let San Diego become a city for the wealthy and their low-paid servants. It is my home and I want to make it a liveable place for future generations to come. Your apathetic attitude to solving societal issues does nothing.

We need to actually address these issues or they will simply follow us to a new location.

Quote:
San Diego is pretty built out, and already has limited open space left. Expect San Diegans to want to preserve their standard of living and not push in even closer together to make room for you.
It is built out horizontally, meaning there isn't large amounts of open land. However, it is by no means built out as a city. Huge swaths of the city are dedicated to underutilized land uses such as parking lots.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Is there a way anyone can find out who are buying these ultra expensive homes? Foreigners or U.S. citizens?

Is there public records for the general public to see?

It’s one thing where people are struggling just to be able to afford a $500,000 home, but a mil or 2 mil? Now that’s very extreme and only a hand few of San Diegans can afford that. I really wonder what these people do for a living.

Let’s also not forget wealthy foreign Middle Easterners buying property/homes too.
I don't know, but we need to close that loophole before it starts. Vancouver was right to tax all the foreign investors, particularly the ones who don't even occupy the homes. San Diego needs to get on this ASAP.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I refuse to let San Diego become a city for the wealthy and their low-paid servants. It is my home and I want to make it a liveable place for future generations to come. Your apathetic attitude to solving societal issues does nothing.

We need to actually address these issues or they will simply follow us to a new location.

It is built out horizontally, meaning there isn't large amounts of open land. However, it is by no means built out as a city. Huge swaths of the city are dedicated to underutilized land uses such as parking lots.
I just looked and there’s nearly 1,000 condos/houses available for less than $400K throughout the county with the overwhelming majority being within a reasonable distance to the city/coast. There’s plenty of housing for the middle class, it’s just not everyone’s first choice.

Why should current homeowners, and renters for that matter, sacrifice their quality of life so neighborhoods can be built vertical or more compact horizontally? I also don’t think if it was it’ll have the ripple effect you think it will. There’s no money to be made building low cost housing. Even those that are being built for a “reasonable” price are driving down the price on the older stock because many people will choose house/lot size and location in a older house vs a new build further out. Expensive builds do nothing to help the cost on entry level homes.

San Diego is much too big to become a city of the wealthy and it’s servants. I just think many need to rethink their location if they want to stay here and own a home. I didn’t want to leave the beach, but my wife didn’t want a condo so we moved inland. It’s not the end of the world. I grew up 20 miles from the coast, and I can do it again after 20 years on it.

Homes for sale in San Diego County, CA
Up to $400K, Single Family, Condo, Multiplex
https://b1iw.app.link/nTh6FmdWtT

Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Why? What would you do with that information?

When I'm selling a property, I care about one thing... how loudly the cash register rings. Dollars are fungible. My job is to maximize my revenue to provide for my family as well as possible, not apply some kind of purity test and sell ata discount to those who pass it.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:52 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
What "societal issue"? You're engaging in emotional hand-wringing. This is Econ 101... low supply plus high demand equals high prices, period. Crying about the results of an equation doesn't change the math behind that equation.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Somebody in here is a whining millennial who just wants to stomp their feet and scream "Not fair" because those a generation or more ahead of them worked for and bought homes that millennials can't yet afford, but still "they want it now". That's called lollipop syndrome and it's quite annoying.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
The housing 'crisis' is manufactured by politicians to sell apartment density to the next generation... if the state was so concerned about this issue they wouldn't have stolen all the redevelopment money for themselves. If you let developers and politicians have their way every arterial street will be lined with luxury apartments. And those same politicians will NEVER, EVER make the transportation investments necessary to support all those new homes.

Don't worry there will be plenty of walkable, dog-friendly 2500/mo studios for everyone.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM

241 posts, read 316,940 times
Quote:
Boo fricken hoo. Low density, single-family neighborhoods are a total drain on our tax base. SFH represent a small tax base, but a ton of public infrastructure to maintain relative to taxes. Throw in all the Prop 13 freeloaders and people still can't grapple why we can't have nice things.

Not to mention the public subsidies going to mortgage interest, highway/road building and expansion, and general municipal services.

Absolutely no sympathy.

Cue:"they're building skyscrapers in my neighborhood!" "they are taking away my [free] parking" and all the other sensationalist rhetoric of NIMBYs who think they own other peoples' land.
This.... so much this.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:38 PM

241 posts, read 316,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Somebody in here is a whining millennial who just wants to stomp their feet and scream "Not fair" because those a generation or more ahead of them worked for and bought homes that millennials can't yet afford, but still "they want it now". That's called lollipop syndrome and it's quite annoying.
I’m almost forty and I completely agree with the “whining millennial.” Oh and before you go there I have enough money to buy a house I’m just not a person who only cares about myself like many of the people on here. I’m just moving to San Diego, I really hope you aren’t representative of the people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego