Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 04:33 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times

Advertisements

You can retire in California if you're smart with your money and not a complete showboating ass, as so many people think they have to be most of their lives.

The people I'm talking about always live beyond their means, competing with friends and acquaintances for material possessions or superficial assets in order to try to "one up" each other. Then, at the end of the day, when they've got themselves in a financial pickle of biblical proportions, they'll suddenly blame it all on the State of California and "taxes" as they load up their U-haul and set their GPS for the Arizona border.

Y-e-a-h!......As if the State of California told them they had to buy new $300 sunglasses every 6 months, buy a new tract home every 4 years, get $15k worth of plastic surgery and a face lift every 3 years, buy a new SUV or BMW every 2 years, spoil their children with Disney passes every year...right?

I know a couple where one is in law enforcement and the other is a teacher and together they pull in $250k, easily, yet still can't seem to manage a paper bag. And, of course -- like clockwork -- it's always the fault of "libs" and "California", never their own....For people who adhere to an ideology that's supposed to promote "self-responsibility", they sure as hell seem to lack it themselves!

It all boils down to a lack of financial acumen and crappy planning. Don't be one of these people and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 04:40 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
I love Cali especially SD and could retire there (financially) with some sacrifices in house size and amenities but wife hates it and would never consider it. Of course there are cheaper areas of Cali as well that you can consider. I wouldn't recommend it for someone on a tighter budget.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times
It's interesting to hear about other people's opinions on this topic. I have spent my career in Texas, but with family in southern California all my life. So, I would consider moving there for that reason, as well as for the change of place. I can afford it (perhaps, depending on where), but I haven't decided yet.

Texas has high property taxes and California has a state income tax. So, each person needs to analyze that trade-off. I'm not politically conservative, but I have noticed a lot of conservative Californians seem drawn to Texas, especially the far-north parts of the Dallas metro area. The more liberal (and perhaps younger) California folks seem to gravitate to Austin.

My main interest would be to relocate to a place with a climate that doesn't get cold and offers a nice mix of cultures from different places. Houston isn't bad in that regard, but perhaps the Pacific coast might be better.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
My main interest would be to relocate to a place with a climate that doesn't get cold and offers a nice mix of cultures from different places. Houston isn't bad in that regard, but perhaps the Pacific coast might be better.
You will like San Diego. 70-80 degree highs every day all year long. 50-60 degree nites.

Politically, my small 'hood is RED. But we are an island in a sea of BLUE.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:00 PM

67 posts, read 69,384 times
Default Retiring in San Diego.

If you are Wealthy, it's a great place.
If you are okay with running your dishwasher or laundry before the 4 pm shut off time.
If you are okay with your vehicles being stolen and trashed, with evidence galore, that police will not investigate.
If you are okay about your water usage being monitored with huge fines for exceeding the State's daily usage.
If you are okay, with no go areas because you'll probably see some pretty crazy people doing some really disgusting things.
If you are okay with not owning a firearm to protect yourself
If you are okay with going to restaurants that have trouble speaking English
If you are okay with drinking anything with a paper straw. (Paper straws make my mouth draw up in a horrible way.
Basically, if you are willing to live in a land where straws are illigal, but prisoners are being released by the thousands, and drug addicts are allowed to steal up to $950.00 per occurrence with a Governor's hands off the criminals approach.
You will LOVE IT HERE!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugiesMom View Post
If you are Wealthy, it's a great place.
If you are okay with running your dishwasher or laundry before the 4 pm shut off time.
If you are okay with your vehicles being stolen and trashed, with evidence galore, that police will not investigate.
If you are okay about your water usage being monitored with huge fines for exceeding the State's daily usage.
If you are okay, with no go areas because you'll probably see some pretty crazy people doing some really disgusting things.
If you are okay with going to restaurants that have trouble speaking English
If you are okay with drinking anything with a paper straw. (Paper straws make my mouth draw up in a horrible way.
Basically, if you are willing to live in a land where straws are illigal, but prisoners are being released by the thousands, and drug addicts are allowed to steal up to $950.00 per occurrence with a Governor's hands off the criminals approach.
You will LOVE IT HERE!
Someone is bitter...

Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 PM

111 posts, read 74,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Someone is bitter...
Somebody doesn’t want to live under a dictatorship. That’s hardly being bitter, but I can see what people in California are so cranky as to call someone bitter...

Old 01-04-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugiesMom View Post
I'm no gun lover but I waited 80 minutes for the police to respond to a 911 call. Talked with a gun shop about getting a shot gun. What a PIA.

No need to write me. I didn't get a shot gun. I solved my problem with technology.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:30 PM

811 posts, read 622,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I solved my problem with technology.
As in Blink cameras?

Or ?

Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
As in Blink cameras?

Or ?
I can't tell you exactly. Some people on this forum know exactly where I live.

Killing people is not my idea of fun. I did some time in Vietnam. So I watched the Home Alone movie trailer several times and got some good ideas. I guess I updated Home Alone for the current century. It was a lot of fun setting it all up. My wife really likes the real-time monitoring and non-lethal security.

NOTE: I'm already getting PMs asking me to do Home Alone at their home. Sounds like a market niche for someone but not me. I spend my time helping local charities make money with my classic cars and trucks.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2477195...&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Last edited by cruitr; 01-06-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego