Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 2,445 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I just recently moved to Tijuana, B.C. back in September 2018. I'm originally from Jackson, MS. While living in TJ, I work in SD. I want to go back to college at San Diego City College but I can't figure out how to avoid the out of state fees. When I first got out here, I lived with a close friend for a few weeks who is also from MS, so I never officially established a residence in CA. Does anyone know how to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
You'll have to establish residency first.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 AM

5,750 posts, read 4,711,382 times
Why would you think you wouldn't have to pay out-of-state fees? You don't live in CA. Heck, you don't even live in the country.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 AM

6,511 posts, read 7,549,502 times
I went to Mesa College while living in Tijuana, but the difference was that when I enrolled for the first time I was actually living in San Diego and had a San Diego address, I eventually moved South of the border for reasons unrelated to school.

There may be no way around it, you need a San Diego address and to prove to admissions that you "live" in CA somehow.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,657,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoct View Post
Hi guys! I just recently moved to Tijuana, B.C. back in September 2018. I'm originally from Jackson, MS. While living in TJ, I work in SD. I want to go back to college at San Diego City College but I can't figure out how to avoid the out of state fees. When I first got out here, I lived with a close friend for a few weeks who is also from MS, so I never officially established a residence in CA. Does anyone know how to help?
Have you already talked to City College's office of admission about your case? If not, that should be your first step as they're the only ones who can advise you and they will also make the determination of whether you are eligible for instate tuition.

To be approved for resident tuition you need to prove both intent (2 documentation proofs needed) and physical presence (1 needed) in California.

You *may* be able to make a case for intent if you can show you've done TWO of the following:

1. applied for a California driver's license
2. registered your car in California
3. registered to vote in California
4. paid 2018 California state income taxes and have a copy of your return

AND

You *may* be able to make a case for physical presence if you can provide documentation of having done one of following a full year ago before the first day of classes in the semester you plan to enroll in:

5. opened a bank account in San Diego or California
6. have a full year of pay stubs (W-2) from a San Diego employer showing that you've been working in California for a full year before the first day of classes in the semester you intend to enroll.

Again, you need to meet both the intent and presence requirements.

There are other documents you can use as well, which you can read about here:
Residency

I put the word *may* around both items because only City College's office of admissions can make the determination.

As I said, if you haven't already done so, give them a call, or even better, schedule an appointment in person and bring in the documentation to show them and they can advise you how to proceed.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,657,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
There may be no way around it, you need a San Diego address and to prove to admissions that you "live" in CA somehow.
As I said, a full year of pay stubs (W2) from a San Diego employer *may* be accepted for physical presence in California by City College.

But, they'll also need to have two documents from the list of accepted forms of proof of intent. There are more than just the ones I listed but if they have two documents for intent, the pay stubs *may* be enough.

Still, the best bet is to go sit down with an admissions counselor at City College and discuss their individual case, if they haven't already.

I'd also add that it can be harder to get reclassified once you've already started classes as a non-resident.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
Wont the commute/wait time to cross the border be even more prohibitive than out of state tuition?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
Why should San Diego tax payers pay for your college? IMO no one here should help you cheat.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Wont the commute/wait time to cross the border be even more prohibitive than out of state tuition?
Not if he gets a Sentri pass.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 2,445 times
Hi Axxlrod,

Thanks for your response. Those CA & Fed taxes still come out of my check and has so for a year now. The only thing I don't pay in the country is my rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego