Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcreager2 View Post
Listen carefully! My little dog (9 lb terrier) was just killed on tuesday morning (Aug 20, 2013). I live in a housing development behind Palomar College (Santa Fe Hills)...My back yard has iron fencing and my husband drilled plexiglass to it along the bottom to keep the coyotes from sniffing between the rungs. My little dog was outside barking at the fence around 5am. We heard a really loud SNAP/BANG and ran outside. There was nothing...we noticed that the bottom of the plastic had been broken. Then we panicked and started calling the dogs name. We didn't find him and deduced that the coyotes had gotten him (we've seen two hanging around for several weeks). Anyway, about this time, we look down the embankment (maybe 5 yards) and see the coyote trotting along with my dead dog in his mounth. The bastard! Really brazen. Do NOT leave your pets unattended. Seriously. This is the 3rd in my neighborhood... :-( Just sick over this.
So very sorry for your loss.
We recently lost our senior Golden and now have a puppy. I can not leave her out by herself for any length of time, as the coyotes are rampant here in Fallbrook. Even as I sit here out back, I can hear them howling near by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
It sounds like the dog broke through the fence and ran off. Sure, maybe he was barking at a coyote but really there is no one to blame but the owner who allowed his dog out unsupervised.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
We used to live in the Shadowridge area area of Vista and I used to see them every once in a while. I was driving to work one morning and one came trotting across he street with a dead cat in its mouth.

We live in Mission Valley now and we hear them now and then, sounds like a large number howling, but I've never seen them.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
They're in Mission Valley along the river and behind the apartments across from the front of Fashion Valley Mall. I used to work in an apartment complex there, and the tenants said the coyotes would come up the sliding glass doors of the first floor apartments and look inside.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 AM

77 posts, read 127,037 times
Rancho Bernardo held a special meeting Thursday night because of the growing coyote problem and pets being killed. We live above 4S Ranch. I went almost every night for a month seeing between 1 and 3 coyotes everywhere I walked with my Great Pyrenees. You would think a dog that is a livestock guardian against coyotes might scare them away. Not so. They just stood there watching us until the dog starting bucking like a bronco and barking and I yelled and threw rocks. Only then did they calmly trot off like no big deal. They have come up to my fence at 1 p.m., and 4 p.m. in broad daylight! One night recently the neighbor heard a commotion and saw a coyote jump my 6 ft. wrought iron fence from downhill and start eating an old bone left outside by my Great Pyrenees. A neighbor lost his dog in the 5 minutes that it went out in the fenced backyard to use the bathroom. Another neighbor saw the coyote carry it off over the fence. A second person was walking their dog and the coyote took the little dog right off the leash!!

Please don't make a grieving pet owner feel guilty because they left their animal outside for a few minutes in the daytime to go to the bathroom. I understand the whole food chain and that coyotes keep down the rodent population, etc. but if they are caught jumping the fence into your yard in broad daylight I think you should be allowed to put a stop to it. It is only when a human gets attacked or bitten that some people will take it seriously and stop thinking they are cute. I thought they were kinda cute for a few days until they started getting bolder and bolder. To close, I did read that if they take your pet or a child, to pull their tail and they will drop what is in their mouth. Then you kick them in the ribs as they can break with the force of a 14 year old kicking them. Hope I never have to deal with that. Twice now my Pyrenees has chased one away that was approaching us on a walk.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 AM

77 posts, read 127,037 times
I failed to mention my neighbor five doors down in Rancho Bernardo heard a noise at his back sliding glass door at 5 a.m. He got up to look and a coyote was looking inside his family room!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
They're in Mission Valley along the river and behind the apartments across from the front of Fashion Valley Mall. I used to work in an apartment complex there, and the tenants said the coyotes would come up the sliding glass doors of the first floor apartments and look inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas28 View Post
I failed to mention my neighbor five doors down in Rancho Bernardo heard a noise at his back sliding glass door at 5 a.m. He got up to look and a coyote was looking inside his family room!
Walking into your living room to see this would be a bit unnerving.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Can you shoot coyotes in this here state?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Can you shoot coyotes in this here state?
Looks like you can...

Modoc Coyote Hunt Raises Concerns About California's Lone Wolf | News Fix | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

I think the problem is where you hunt. I'm sure I would have legal problems if I started shooting them in Mission Valley.

I'm not sure of the laws about discharging a firearm in the city limits.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Looks like you can...

Modoc Coyote Hunt Raises Concerns About California's Lone Wolf | News Fix | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

I think the problem is where you hunt. I'm sure I would have legal problems if I started shooting them in Mission Valley.

I'm not sure of the laws about discharging a firearm in the city limits.
You can shoot a pellet gun (in your own property, not in public) but not discharge a regular gun in city limits, that's what I use to shoot at the racoons that try to devastate my pond frequently. We have lots of coyotes right here almost downtown in Florida Canyon/golf course, I hear them every night and every once in a while I'll see 'em trotting along the road in the middle of the day. Early mornings and evenings are when they typically hunt so keep your pets close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego